Anyone know what make this is and if it is worth anything?

Arthur Harris

Definitely not Vega, they were all machined from solid (IIRC) and looked very, very different.

What are those bits on the back of cam box? Something to do with adjusting the cam timing? My other bet is that the odd bits are a gear fuel pump - the other photos seem to show a fuel nipple on the far side of it.

Having googled the well known model engine designers such as Lawrence H Sparey and Edgar T Westbury, it doesn't appear to be one of theirs.  The general style of the engine to me puts it somewhere in the late 60's to 1990s, although that is just a gut feeling.  An enquiry on the Model Engineer Forum may get a result, or an enquiry to Adrian at https://www.adriansmodelaeroengines.com/catalog/ may help, although he has been hospitalized lately.

• Thanks 1

Its a complete mystery to me. The cylinder looks sort of familiar but not enough to go on . Its probably been built by one of the many very talented engineer in our hobby. Crankcase looks sort of based on a ED Hunter-ish but nothing to get any scale in the pics. I wouldnt mind having a go at that but its early days and I reckon the bidding will go a bit silly near the auction end.  Its a pity its bèen run on methanol as its obviously been designed for petrol an glow fuel has possibly corroeded any bearings and cams etc.

Edited by Engine Doctor

Up to around 1943, both here and the USA, small garages with workshops with tooling, dabbled with small petrol engines for model aeroplanes, resulting in many design one-offs, as production ceased until the end of the war, and motors became available again.

Point being, one off design petrol engines were quite common.

IMG_20240126_194649.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Engine Doctor said:

Its a complete mystery to me. The cylinder looks sort of familiar but not enough to go on . Its probably been built by one of the many very talented engineer in our hobby. Crankcase looks sort of based on a ED Hunter-ish but nothing to get any scale in the pics. I wouldnt mind having a go at that but its early days and I reckon the bidding will go a bit silly near the auction end.  Its a pity its bèen run on methanol as its obviously been designed for petrol an glow fuel has possibly corroeded any bearings and cams etc.

It looks like from a practical point of view it is worthless. Spares will be non-existent. If someone has the engineering skills to repair it, they will probably just make their own engine. The same seller has this for sale:Handmade Twin Piston Model Plane Combustion Motor - Complete | eBay

twin.jpg

Edited by Arthur Harris

18 minutes ago, Alan Gorham_ said:

The photo of the flat twin was easier to identify. It's a Matador 60 twin designed by Derek Giles. It was a homebuilt engine and the plans are still available from Sarik:

https://www.sarikhobbies.com/product/matador-60-60-twin-plan-rc1539/

Still no idea on the single cylinder engine. 

Derek did make some interesting engines.  I recall him showing me his 0.15cc version of the Mills 0.75. I never saw it running, but he asured me it ran well.

Dick