BMFA Mag February 2024.

1 hour ago, Cuban8 said:

Fair enough, but from what I've heard from quite a few clubmates, the mag does go completely unread.

As for the on-line edition, we get email notifications about renewals and  CAA etc so I guess a heads up about the mag will come the same way.

Which reinforces my view that paper magazines posted to members are a waste of money- and some of it is mine. Almost everyone has a smart phone these days, or at least access to the internet through a different device. Most organisations switched to paperless years ago, to save money and save paper.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Arthur Harris said:

Which reinforces my view that paper magazines posted to members are a waste of money- and some of it is mine. Almost everyone has a smart phone these days, or at least access to the internet through a different device. Most organisations switched to paperless years ago, to save money and save paper.

You've obviously not been reading the thread on smart phones  😉 

6 minutes ago, Arthur Harris said:

I have previously been told there was a way of opting out - that would have saved money.

As this isn't the first time you've posted something 'as a joke' that wasn't taken as such, can I respectfully ask you signpost humour......?

Unfortunately many who can’t be bothered to read the magazine when it’s presented to them ‘on a plate’ in paper form will hardly be likely to make the effort to look for it online. Even with an e-mail informing of its availability.

It’s a pity that the economics have caused the BMFA to cease sending the paper mags.

Brian.

• Like 3

It's fascinating that each time the BMFA News is published there are the familiar rants about 'waste of money' 'never open it/ bin it' etc. Those people seem to forget that there are other forms of aeromodelling; control line, free flight being the obvious ones. The BMFA supports all forms of aeromodelling. Therefore it is hardly surprising that the BMFA News reflects this in its editorial pages. I would add to that by saying aeromodelling is much more than flying an ARTF foam electric model around gently on a Sunday afternoon. Also to those who feel the slightly increased beaurocracy we have to deal with if we choose to fly radio control models can be overcome by flying a control line model.   

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, GrumpyGnome said:

I have previously been told there was a way of opting out - that would have saved money.

As this isn't the first time you've posted something 'as a joke' that wasn't taken as such, can I respectfully ask you signpost humour......?

It was something I considered when I suggested the BMFA had missed a trick by not forming a Small Model Society, but if I flagged it up, it wouldn't be funny, would it?

(on that topic I did consider suggesting all our models be fitted by a "virtual fence" device so they would not fly outside a 100-foot radius, but I wisely decided not to raise that).

1 hour ago, Arthur Harris said:

It was something I considered when I suggested the BMFA had missed a trick by not forming a Small Model Society, but if I flagged it up, it wouldn't be funny, would it?

(on that topic I did consider suggesting all our models be fitted by a "virtual fence" device so they would not fly outside a 100-foot radius, but I wisely decided not to raise that).

Do you think your good enough to fly your riot in a 100 ft radius circle? 

• Haha 3

"Spin" The BMFA says quite openly these are difficult times, the numbers re membership are there, the various changes we are fighting against are there. Updates on the NFC and how it's being used and who pays for it is there, the proposed increase of £3 pound is there and the fact that the floor voted it up to £5 is there, and here's where I suspect the "Spin" comment comes from, the BMFA are actively saying collectively that the changes to come we can deal with and survive as an entity, what other position or comments would any sane person expect them to be saying ? We are doomed ?

Also there's comment on the various social media containing a constant negative attitude from some, which they feel is damaging to our own wellbeing, I agree with that view. Only thing these people will achieve, is a reduction in our numbers.

Article on the Drone photography, I like, here's a positive article someone took the trouble to set in motion and produce, exactly the kind of thing we need.

Moaning is easy, dealing with difficult issues takes work.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

"Spin" The BMFA says quite openly these are difficult times, the numbers re membership are there, the various changes we are fighting against are there. Updates on the NFC and how it's being used and who pays for it is there, the proposed increase of £3 pound is there and the fact that the floor voted it up to £5 is there, and here's where I suspect the "Spin" comment comes from, the BMFA are actively saying collectively that the changes to come we can deal with and survive as an entity, what other position or comments would any sane person expect them to be saying ? We are doomed ?

Also there's comment on the various social media containing a constant negative attitude from some, which they feel is damaging to our own wellbeing, I agree with that view. Only thing these people will achieve, is a reduction in our numbers.

Article on the Drone photography, I like, here's a positive article someone took the trouble to set in motion and produce, exactly the kind of thing we need.

The nail hit firmly on the head.  Very well said.  All aspects of society, including our hobby (sport) are full of those who sit back and moan at every opportunity but do nothing to contribute to fixing what they perceive to be "problems".

• Like 14

Jeeeez... It must be so demoralizing for the authors of BMFA News content to read the negativity in this topic. Paid, or unpaid, if their response was to to say 's0d-it, I'm not bothering anymore for those ungrateful whiners, then it would definitely die a death.

Not everything in the BMFA News is of interest to me, indeed, not very much is of interest to me. The least appealing being pictures of various dignitaries posing at some black tie event. But, like having to make polite small talk every once in a while, I do think it's polite to at least thumb through it and have some respect for the effort that's gone into producing it. It is being done with the best intentions and for our benefit. I recently wrote my first article for RCM&E and was astonished that only two or three members of my club (100+) regularly bought the magazine and/or read the article. It takes a great deal of effort, but the majority bemoan even the free plans these days and won't even buy the magazine for them.

Being retired, I tend to browse the BMFA News in bed in the morning with a cuppa surrounded by my three cats, or in the WC (when I'm not logging my flights) also surrounded by my cats 😺😸😹 I think that, like a good manager it's best to praise in public and scold in private. 

Edited by Futura57
  • Like 8

On 29/01/2024 at 13:28, Martin Dance 1 said:

It's fascinating that each time the BMFA News is published there are the familiar rants about 'waste of money' 'never open it/ bin it' etc. Those people seem to forget that there are other forms of aeromodelling; control line, free flight being the obvious ones. The BMFA supports all forms of aeromodelling. Therefore it is hardly surprising that the BMFA News reflects this in its editorial pages. I would add to that by saying aeromodelling is much more than flying an ARTF foam electric model around gently on a Sunday afternoon. Also to those who feel the slightly increased beaurocracy we have to deal with if we choose to fly radio control models can be overcome by flying a control line model.   

Why is the fact that there are 'different forms of aeromodelling' relevant to the argument that the magazine should or should not be published online? It has nothing to do with it. The whole magazine can be published online, it does not need to be in a paper copy to include different articles. Lol!

• Like 1

On 29/01/2024 at 12:37, RottenRow said:

Unfortunately many who can’t be bothered to read the magazine when it’s presented to them ‘on a plate’ in paper form will hardly be likely to make the effort to look for it online. Even with an e-mail informing of its availability.

It’s a pity that the economics have caused the BMFA to cease sending the paper mags.

Brian.

I don't think that is true at all. I read stuff on this forum because it is online (so do you, obviously). I also look at RCG and several other forums related to modelling. I also read most of the daily newspapers online, much more than I did with paper copies.

An online BMFA magazine would be far more popular than a paper copy- it could be read anywhere, anytime.

• Like 1

On 29/01/2024 at 15:16, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

The BMFA just needs to move with the times. Members don't like seeing their fees thrown away on paper magazines that even many members say are thrown away unread and unwanted. My club has a Facebook site, a Gmail group, and a WhatsApp group and an online magazine. No one suffers from a lack of information, quite the reverse, and we are not wasting club fees printing and posting unwanted bumf.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Arthur Harris said:

Why is the fact that there are 'different forms of aeromodelling' relevant to the argument that the magazine should or should not be published online? It has nothing to do with it. The whole magazine can be published online, it does not need to be in a paper copy to include different articles. Lol!

That was probably aimed at those who do not read it because of the content, not the format. Those people most probably won't bother to read it online either...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, GrumpyGnome said:

That was probably aimed at those who do not read it because of the content, not the format. Those people most probably won't bother to read it online either...

Yes, but that is not an argument for it to remain a paper magazine. In fact, it suggests the opposite- why waste money posting a paper magazine if it won't be read by some of the recipients? People will read it online if they have a mind to- we are all reading this forum, aren't we?

• Like 1

I"m not arguing for it to remain on paper... I've long been an advocate for digital.

I was simply pointing out that most people who don't read it, will still not read it, because of the content. Which is a shame because it's nice to see what's going on in other areas of model flying. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Arthur Harris said:

The BMFA just needs to move with the times. Members don't like seeing their fees thrown away on paper magazines that even many members say are thrown away unread and unwanted. My club has a Facebook site, a Gmail group, and a WhatsApp group and an online magazine. No one suffers from a lack of information, quite the reverse, and we are not wasting club fees printing and posting unwanted bumf.

I have no idea why you quote my post with this one ? My post was about "Spin".

On 29/01/2024 at 17:10, Futura57 said:

Jeeeez... It must be so demoralizing for the authors of BMFA News content to read the negativity in this topic. Paid, or unpaid, if their response was to to say 's0d-it, I'm not bothering anymore for those ungrateful whiners, then it would definitely die a death.

Back in the 1980s I edited a national cycle club magazine (Tandem Club) until a serious incident with a cat put a stop to hard cycling and started me on the path to aeromodelling. The magazine came out every other month and was posted to the 2000 members.  It was hard work, but much eased by the positive feedback I received. Without that feedback, I don't think I would have bothered. 

• Like 1

Neither of my two clubs produce a newsletter as such, hard copy or otherwise now. 

It was tried in the past and I had a hand in producing a twice yearly booklet over twenty years ago that was posted out to members. Difficulty getting material from members to include and feedback that indicated to me that it was actually a waste of time and money put paid to it.

We now just put out an email as and  when members need to be made aware of important club matters.

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Cuban8 said:

Neither of my two clubs produce a newsletter as such, hard copy or otherwise now. 

It was tried in the past and I had a hand in producing a twice yearly booklet over twenty years ago that was posted out to members. Difficulty getting material from members to include and feedback that indicated to me that it was actually a waste of time and money put paid to it.

We now just put out an email as and  when members need to be made aware of important club matters.

That's a bit of a shame. If they tried a Gmail or WhatsApp group it might gain traction. Most people (not just flying club members) wait for someone else to take the initiative. Once a group has started it will probably gain traction- weather conditions at flying sites is an obvious go-to.

13 hours ago, Arthur Harris said:

That's a bit of a shame. If they tried a Gmail or WhatsApp group it might gain traction. Most people (not just flying club members) wait for someone else to take the initiative. Once a group has started it will probably gain traction- weather conditions at flying sites is an obvious go-to.

Should have mentioned that both clubs do have WattsApp messaging but it's just something that's been set up between a few members who tend to fly together during the week etc. Saves wasted journeys when other things get in the way etc.

Quite a few years ago a good friend of mine made an excellent point when we were talking about club magazines, social events and club comps etc.......

" most people join clubs as a means to an end, in our case, a nice flying field to fly their models and that's it - everything else passes them by"

I think that's very true, not all clubs will be the same, but essentially it'll be the usual folks getting involved with club activities etc more than others. Perfectly OK, they pay their subs and get from them what they need.

Edited by Cuban8