CA Glue - Cheaper Options

After years of thinking I was buying the best then having to replace it when more than half full I've finally got fed up of paying big bucks for Zap.

Just wondering what you guys recommend - I think the key for me is to buy smaller bottles as I don't use that much.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 1

Toolstation sell CA in 20g bottles for £2.08 or £2.58 for the slower setting one.  Works well.

Most convenient is the tiny tubes sold in Pound shops - sometimes 8 or 10 tiny tubes for a pound or 4 bigger tubes for a pound.  Use for small jobs then discard.

Consider Super Phatic a sort of very thin PVA type glue, lasts a long time and doesn't affect ones nose like cheap CA.  Look at the DeLuxe materials website for a video on this.

• Like 2

Toolstation 20g cyano for me. I stick (no pun intended) with the 20g bottles, because the 50g ones tend to go off before I can get half way through them - or the spout becomes too manky and clogged up over time.

Edited by EvilC57
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, ken anderson. said:

Hello Nigel...consider Poundland and Screwfix for Super Glue...good value and does the job.

Ken Anderson..... ne....1 ...glue dept.

I used a lot of Poundland CA and found it OK, but it seems to have disappeared from our local shop except for the very tiny bottles that are worth carrying unopened in the toolbox for field repairs and then discarded.  I've been us 50gm bottles of Volden stocked by B&Q -for around £6 (can't remember exactly) but it keeps well on the bench. Spare bottle in the 'fridge. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the ToolStation recommendation - I will check that out.

Just had a look, they do two viscosities

20g Medium - £2.08

20g Thick - £2.58

50g Medium - £3.88

50g Thick - £4.88

This is where I usually get drawn into buying the bigger bottles, but from my personal experiences I’m going to stick to the small bottles.

They don’t do thin or wicking versions but something I have read, but never tried, is that you can thin CA with acetone or cellulose thinners.  Not sure I would risk that on an important airframe but if I wanted a small amount of fast setting thin CA on something not too critical I’d be prepared to experiment.

Edited by Nigel Heather

Toolstation medium CA for me too on those jobs where foam safe doesn't cut the mustard. Agree completely with the clogging tips - mine needs re-piercing with a needle every single time it is used. Thankfully that isn't very often. Excellent value for money though at just a couple of quid for the small bottle.

Edited by leccyflyer
typo

41 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

Toolstation medium CA for me too on those jobs where foam safe doesn't cut the mustard. Agree completely with the clogging tips - mine needs re-piercing with a needle every single time it is used. Thankfully that isn't very often. Excellent value for money though at just a couple of quid for the small bottle.

I’ve never managed to solve tip clogging, no matter how careful I have been.  Best results I’ve found is to stand the bottle upright after use, let the glue settle for a while and then gently squeeze so that it blows air (and presumably, tiny bits of CA), then wipe the spout and put the top on.  By no means perfect, but I find that I have a better chance of finding the spout unclogged on next use.  But it is not a miracle cure, you will also find the tip clogs on occasions and then it I out with the needed.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, David Ovenden said:

Another vote for Toolstation CA. Cheap, works well and doesn't seem to go hard in the bottle like some others do.

Store my CA bottles in a sealed plastic container in the fridge (small tupperware type thingy) keeps the glue fresh for ages. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nigel Heather said:

I’ve never managed to solve tip clogging, no matter how careful I have been.  Best results I’ve found is to stand the bottle upright after use, let the glue settle for a while and then gently squeeze so that it blows air (and presumably, tiny bits of CA), then wipe the spout and put the top on.  By no means perfect, but I find that I have a better chance of finding the spout unclogged on next use.  But it is not a miracle cure, you will also find the tip clogs on occasions and then it I out with the needed.

I haven't solved clogging either, but I have found a way round it by cutting the spout short and fitting one of the spout extensions I seem to have acquired over the years and starting again.

• Like 2