SC 52 Four stroke Bearings

Richard Acland

Advert

These are the bearings I fitted to my SC FS52, the part numbers are from Simply Bearings...

Front SKF 6082Z 8x22x7mm shielded - remove one shield.

Rear SKF 6001 12x28x8mm open.

About £4.50 each plus VAT. Cheaper unbranded ones are also available.

The camshaft bearings, should you need them, are 695 5x13x4mm open.

Brian.

46 minutes ago, Nigel R said:

Unbranded aren't worth the saving if you're only buying one or two for a refurb. Get a decent brand and have done with it. 

Normally i would agree, but the budget range from simplybearings have proven perfectly acceptable in a number of engines i have refurbed over the years. That said, 6001 and 608's are hardly expensive even from a brand name so its not really an issue in this case

• Like 1

I find it astonishing how cheap bearings are when you consider how accurately made they are.  Years ago, well before the internet existed, I needed four wheel bearings for my motorbike. I bought them from Derby Bearings (in person) and got 75% discount for some reason - so 4 for the price of 1, about a fiver IIRC (which I probably don't 🙂 ).

11 hours ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Normally i would agree, but the budget range from simplybearings have proven perfectly acceptable in a number of engines i have refurbed over the years. That said, 6001 and 608's are hardly expensive even from a brand name so its not really an issue in this case

I agree with Jon .Having refurbed 100s of engines i can honestly say that the budget bearings from SB are fine. You can pay 3 or 4 times the price for high end brands and they will last probably the same sort of time and will rust just the same if not looked after.

Budget normal clearance bearings work fine in all of our engines and I only use high end brands if sizes are not available in the budget or lower end range or owner specifies branded bearings.

And if you take the manufacturing tolerances of  budget engines like SC,ASP, Magnum into acount the budget  bearings used are probably the highest spec part in the engine.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Engine Doctor said:

You can pay 3 or 4 times the price for high end brands

That is no doubt sometimes the case, but in this instance (SC 52FS) the price difference is only about £2 per bearing.

I’ve no doubt that even the unbranded bearings that are available would be at least as good as the originals fitted by SC at the time of engine manufacture.

Brian.