March 2024 Issue - advice on replacing a Nimh RX pack with a Lipo

leccyflyer

Have just been reading the March 2024 issue of the magazine and there is a segment in Dave Goodenough's column regarding replacing an expired NiMh receiver pack with a lipo and voltage regulator or UBEC. The stated reason for this is due to the superior very low self discharge rate of the lipo pack, versus the  substantial self discharge rate of the NiMh pack. At no point in the article does it make it clear that the lipo should be removed from the model when not in use and that it really should not be charged in the model either. Furthermore, for that to be relevant it would essentially require that the lipo pack is stored at the fully charged voltage, which is not best practice for the longevity of the pack. These factors make the low self discharge characteristics on the lipo pack largely irrelevant, as the pack should not be stored in the model fully charged in any case.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And according to Panasonic, makers of the Enerloop NiMh batteries:

"We've improved the metal-hydride alloy lattice inside your eneloop battery so that it retains 70%* capacity even after 10 years in storage. The design also resists voltage drop during discharge and minimizes loss of capacity. Once charged, you can trust eneloop to work just like a dry battery, and its long storage life is great in emergencies.
* Capacity based on testing method established by IEC 61951-2 (7.3.2) when stored at 20 °C (based on Panasonic's estimation) and compared with minimum capacity. Varies according to conditions of use."

The Enerloop pack I use for setting up models on the bench was bought 14 years ago retains its capacity & gets charged maybe once a year.

Whilst I use LiPo's or LiFe's in most of my models quality NiMh's tend to be my 'go to' for slope soarers and are still a viable option in many cases.

• Like 4

Many of mine use a single 18650 Lithium cell, direct without a booster.  Same for transmitters but 2S.
No need to remove and a charge lasts absolutely ages.

The cells are bought as Lidl 'Parkside' drill packs, these are really good cells that I also use on my ebike:

https://mode-zero.uk/viewtopic.php?p=5800

Edited by Phil Green
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, simon barr said:

I swapped from NiMhs to lipos as receiver packs simply for practical reasons... It only takes less than an hour to charge, and I would be charging flight packs anyway, so can be out flying (power or glider) with just a couple of hours notice. 

Given that the low discharge Nimhs lose so little charge over time anyway, and can be fast charged in an hour from flat, I'm not certain I see a practical advantage of a lipo.

Edited by Nigel R
  • Like 2