Which new transmitter ?

DaveB1

I'm looking to upgrade a QX7 transmitter and having a number of receivers would like to stay with FrSky.  I'm an intermittent flyer, and although I've managed with OpenTX I have to go through a difficult relearn process every time I set up a new aircraft, and hope the Ethos system would be a bit more intuitive.

I see there is now an X14 alongside the X18 and X20. Is there anywhere to see, feel and hold these transmitters before committing ? 

Are you near a FrSky dealer Dave? Having said that the X18 and X20 feel very similar but I haven’t tried the X14. I’ve got the X20S and love it, you will find a huge difference in quality between the QX7 and either the X18 or X20 and Ethos is certainly more intuitive than OpenTX. Whatever you do don’t hold an X20Pro, they are superb and you’ll hanker after one!

I was recently persuaded to get an FRSky X14 for slope glider use because of the templates available to allow the full flexibility of control under a multitude of conditions, which experienced slopers claim it's very difficult to program conventional radios like my Futaba 14SG. I haven't used it in practice yet but I'm impressed with the bright high-res colour user interface. It transmits a twin signal for ultra security of control, they claim a range up to 10s of km.

6 minutes ago, Andy Stephenson said:

It transmits a twin signal for ultra security of control, they claim a range up to 10s of km.

I suspect that under the UK spec, assuming it has a CE label, its range will be limited because we are not allowed to have more than 10 mW transmitter output power.  I think in the USA you can have 100 mW of power but that is illegal in the UK.

1 hour ago, Peter Jenkins said:

I suspect that under the UK spec, assuming it has a CE label, its range will be limited because we are not allowed to have more than 10 mW transmitter output power.  I think in the USA you can have 100 mW of power but that is illegal in the UK.

It's all fully compliant, it is CE approved, you missed a 0 off, maximum power in the UK and Europe is 100MW EIRP (radiated power), the reason for the long range is that whilst the first 2.4 chip is standard FrSky protocol the second chipset is a LORA chipset which gives it much greater range without using more power, FrSky TW (twin) set up is primarily aimed at gliders where the 868 Mhz antenna would be difficult to fit in.

13 minutes ago, Andy Stephenson said:

The claim is not just for the X14 but all the so-called "Twin" Txs, presumably the X18 and X20 as well.

I should add that the X20 can be programmed by the user to change the RF power but the X14 can't AFAIK.

It can, but only between 25 and 100 mw to stay compliant, but you will only see those options when you bind to a TW receiver.

4 minutes ago, Philip Lewis 3 said:

...It can, but only between 25 and 100 mw to stay compliant, but you will only see those options when you bind to a TW receiver.

The X14 is very new and I am probably the first in the UK to own one. When I bound it to the receiver the power option was not shown on screen.

Just now, Andy Stephenson said:

The X14 is very new and I am probably the first in the UK to own one. When I bound it to the receiver the power option was not shown on screen.

It should be in the receiver section but only when you bind a TW receiver, then in the options you need to turn the LORA section on, and you can only set the power option but only for that side of the RX not the other chip, should look like the attached.Capture.PNG.f563e457ddc051fb28373fab86897590.PNG

13 hours ago, Andy Stephenson said:

My X14 has a CE mark on it, now what that actually means coming from China, who can tell but the importer would be liable if they aren't compliant.

It is worse than that, are you SURE the CE actually is the correct European certificate mark?

https://www.kimuagroup.com/news/differences-between-ce-and-china-export-markings/

Turns out it is an unban myth......

"China Export"[edit]

In 2008, a logo very similar to CE marking was alleged to exist and to stand for China Export because some Chinese manufacturers apply it to their products.[22] However, the European Commission says that this is a misconception.[20] The matter was raised at the European Parliament in 2008.[23] The Commission responded that it was unaware of the existence of any "Chinese Export" mark and that, in its view, the misunderstanding had arisen because a producer had failed to respect the precise dimensions and proportions of the mark as prescribed in the legislation.[20] The Commission was also aware of fraudulent misuse of the mark on products that did not comply with the standards, but that this is a separate issue.[20] It had initiated the procedure to register CE marking as a Community collective trademark, and was in discussion with Chinese authorities to ensure compliance with EU legislation.[20] Chinese (and other non-EU) manufacturers are permitted to use the CЄ mark provided that the goods have been manufactured in accordance with the relevant EU directives and regulations.[20]

Nevertheless, and despite the Commission's assurance that it is without foundation, this urban myth continues to propagate on many websites.[24]