Throttle cut will not work

Sam Longley

I have a Futaba 14sg running on Mode 1. Set up for fixed wing aeropllane. standard configuration.

I want to put throttle cut on switch SF.

I only do this when I set up a new plane & often I get the club instructor to fly any new plane on my first plane for me just to trim it out.

Most of the club members do this as it saves major loss. He is a senior instructor as well as an ex Uk heli champ.

That means that I get him to set the fail safe & throttle cut as the futaba radio is the most user unfriendly gadget known to man.

We have a really helpful bunch of guys at the club but only one or two can set throttle cut if there is an issue. believe me I have asked lots of them.

I have just built a new plane from scratch but due to health issues cannot fly yet so i want to master this problem

Trouble is I either cannot get it to work at all or it opens the throttle rather than closes it ( i got to that state by copying the detail from another plane over)

I do know that when i asked a friend he had a problem then suddenly remembered that some other item in the programming afects throttle cut & that is why i cannot do it.

So I have 2 questions

1Can someone tell me how to set throttle cut including looking for any thing in the programs that affect it

2 what is INH, ACT   mean on the switch setting when sometimes it shows On or OFF

Finally I wondered if fail safe  had an effect & I can only set it on throttle ( well yes I understand that) But why only 56%?

Thanks

Page 83/84 a bit long-winded for

me to reply, but similar to my FX-30 ( tg12) one of them cuts the engine, attention only a small amount you will have to fiddle with the servo end settings, the other one blocks the throttle only when you put the stick down, and it locks the throttle at the point that you have programmed the engine.

It's not straightforward on 14FG. One time I got so frustrated trying to set up a throttle cut that I copied an entire model which had it working to the memory I was working on and re-set up the rest of the controls again.

There is a trick to this but without going through the torment again I can't really help.

Sam

There are quite a few reference to Throttle cut on the forum - have you tried reading through them? Seven popped up from a search for 'Futaba 14SG throttle cut'

I had a 14SG but don't have it anymore so can't really help.

Normally at this point someone mentions Malcolm Holts book. You can only get it for Kindle but you can read it on your PC.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Futaba-14SG-Programming-Fixed-Aircraft-ebook/dp/B00BMM9J7A/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2RZ6BPYIS9DOI&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.GIbJ2MX0WKyg2u7DlSJqyNvUu2zI03RFzQWzC_kHS_HGjHj071QN20LucGBJIEps.PNB4tE9JbqB5RZwe0QUFefSLjdyVrIN68IDSCbpveJw&dib_tag=se&keywords=programming+futaba+14sg&qid=1708357798&sprefix=programming+futaba+14sg%2Caps%2C204&sr=8-1

If you can't fly and have time on your hands - it's less than £6.00 on Amazon - so you could be reading it almost instantly.

Best regards

Geoff

15 hours ago, Barnstormer 52 said:

Sam

There are quite a few reference to Throttle cut on the forum - have you tried reading through them? Seven popped up from a search for 'Futaba 14SG throttle cut'

I had a 14SG but don't have it anymore so can't really help.

Normally at this point someone mentions Malcolm Holts book. You can only get it for Kindle but you can read it on your PC.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Futaba-14SG-Programming-Fixed-Aircraft-ebook/dp/B00BMM9J7A/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2RZ6BPYIS9DOI&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.GIbJ2MX0WKyg2u7DlSJqyNvUu2zI03RFzQWzC_kHS_HGjHj071QN20LucGBJIEps.PNB4tE9JbqB5RZwe0QUFefSLjdyVrIN68IDSCbpveJw&dib_tag=se&keywords=programming+futaba+14sg&qid=1708357798&sprefix=programming+futaba+14sg%2Caps%2C204&sr=8-1

If you can't fly and have time on your hands - it's less than £6.00 on Amazon - so you could be reading it almost instantly.

Best regards

Geoff

Thanks

may have to try that as it seems from a forum search that lots have this issue, At he minute i get 3 different things when I flick the throttle cut it opens or nothing happens at all or it stops the throttle working all together. Still have not found out how to do it properly.

I hate this transmitter & when I can afford to change I will go to the latest FRsky, but I will also have to change lots of receivers which adds to the cost.

Sam

Keep your Tx and give Malcolm's book a go.

He describes the setting on p68.

It does say however, that it only works if the throttle is nearly closed so as to prevent accidentally killing the engine.

I'm sure the book will help with other programming.

Everyone has their own preferences I know, but It would be a shame to dump all your kit just because of not being able to sort 'throttle cut'.

I had my 14SG for a good number of years and managed to sort most things out.

I must admit the rotary finger sensor used to be my pet irritation - but if you did it enough you soon got used to it.

I am a Futaba fan though - went to 16SZ and 18SZ for the touch screen.

There are few videos on youtube.

Regards

Geoff  

On 20/02/2024 at 10:18, Barnstormer 52 said:

Sam

Keep your Tx and give Malcolm's book a go.

He describes the setting on p68.

It does say however, that it only works if the throttle is nearly closed so as to prevent accidentally killing the engine.

I'm sure the book will help with other programming.

Everyone has their own preferences I know, but It would be a shame to dump all your kit just because of not being able to sort 'throttle cut'.

I had my 14SG for a good number of years and managed to sort most things out.

I must admit the rotary finger sensor used to be my pet irritation - but if you did it enough you soon got used to it.

I am a Futaba fan though - went to 16SZ and 18SZ for the touch screen.

There are few videos on youtube.

Regards

Geoff  

Geoff

I do not have a kindle

I am aware that the throttle should be nearly closed. However, throttle cut then just opens the throttle. Not closes it further.

Sometimes I seem to get a setting where it stops me using the throttle but that is not proper throttle cut

Edited by Sam Longley

Camera is not working at the minute & i do not know how to transfer pictures on my phone to the forum. But I have similar screens but something is stopping the throttle cut dropping down to zero as in your 3rd picture. Even though the screen looks the same ( apart from the fact I am using switch SF)

If I increase % from 0% to 37% the throttle actually opens, not closes !!!!!

The futaba instructions do say 17% but that certainly does not work.

Edited by Sam Longley

Something I notice is that the trim on your servos runs between -75 & -105 & both above the line. Mine runs +57 below the line to -50 above. That is just a function of the end points. The sub trim is default, at zero.

Does that have any effect?

Edited by Sam Longley

That's just because the servo needed to work that way round for the correct stick control.

You could try moving the servo linkage nearer the centre and increase the ATV to get nearer my settings, which may help as yours are only working in a narrow range around centre.

Edited by Andy Stephenson

57 minutes ago, Andy Stephenson said:

The top two screenshots show the throttle cut off and the bottom show when it's on

Don’t the bottom two pictures (throttle cut ‘on’) show the servo output is reduced compared to the top two?

How does that cut the throttle? Won’t it open up the throttle?

Throttle cut must make the servo travel further (than the slow idle position) surely. Or am I missing something here?

Brian.

This was on Rc groups,,

14SG has a built-in motor function that includes a off lock switch.

Go to the Link, Function menu.
Change throttle (THR) to Motor (MOT). That will automatically give you a safety switch.
Go to the Model Menu (MDL button). On the 2nd page you will have a new menu called MOTOR.
MOTOR menu allows you to set a safety switch and OFF value.

I use SW G and also assign that switch to timer start.

Edited by Paul De Tourtoulon

2 hours ago, RottenRow said:

Don’t the bottom two pictures (throttle cut ‘on’) show the servo output is reduced compared to the top two?

How does that cut the throttle? Won’t it open up the throttle?

Throttle cut must make the servo travel further (than the slow idle position) surely. Or am I missing something here?

Brian.

Well spotted Brian they should be the other way round.

On 22/02/2024 at 13:34, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

This was on Rc groups,,

14SG has a built-in motor function that includes a off lock switch.

Go to the Link, Function menu.
Change throttle (THR) to Motor (MOT). That will automatically give you a safety switch.
Go to the Model Menu (MDL button). On the 2nd page you will have a new menu called MOTOR.
MOTOR menu allows you to set a safety switch and OFF value.

I use SW G and also assign that switch to timer start.

I tried to go down that route & quickly gave up. I am using a glow engine not an electric motor. The motor function is really for electric gliders.- Or at least that is what I understand from the instructions. They certainly get a lot more confusing.