Beginner kit recommendations

I've been trying to get an old Easy Pigeon glider up and working but I really want to build a classic style kit (balsa). I've seen a lot of vintage kits but I didn't want anything overly complicated. I've build many Airfox models and various kits but never a wood aircraft.

Do you guys have any recommendations? Wouldn't mind something on the larger side and something I can fit RC equipment in.

Hi Hooch, starting out in model building/flying can be bewildering, what to buy, what to build, and it's very easy to spend money on unsuitable stuff. Best advice I could give you is to go visit a local club a few times, and see stuff in it's element and speak to people face to face.

To start the journey you need something stable/docile, there are ARTF trainers out there and plans to build one as well.

Arising Star is one. https://www.horizonhobby.com/on/demandware.static/Sites-horizon-us-Site/Sites-horizon-master/default/Manuals/SEA1000_manual.pdf

Plans you can find here. https://www.sarikhobbies.com/product-category/model-aircraft-builder/model-aircraft-plans/rc-model-aircraft-plans/

Then there's this old classic: https://www.benbucklevintage.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_4&products_id=11

It's not a particularly complicated build and more British people probably learned to fly on this model than any other prior to the arrival of foam wing trainers. I've built two and bought a third. The kit is available as a three or four channel model.

4th June 2023.JPG

Super 60 Squadron 3.JPG

Hi Hooch, whilst the Super 60 is an excellent model and a classic, take a look at The Vintage Model Company’s ‘Balsa Basics Cub.’ The 42in span model is CNC and the parts slot easily together before glueing. There is a full build video on YouTube which you might find helpful and avoid beginners mistakes. VMC can also supply a full electronics setup for this model which will save any guesswork. This includes the motor, electronic speed controller (ESC) propeller and servos. You will also need a radio control system (transmitter and receiver) which will need careful consideration, so I suggest you get plenty of advice before splurging the cash! Just build the model first.

This is a three channel model (rudder, elevator and throttle), The VMC also do an ‘aileron wing’ as an alternative which has less dihedral and as the name suggests, ailerons! I suggest stick with the three channel version to start with as it will have more stability and hopefully easier to fly. There is a first flight video here too. 

Lastly join a club to help you on your model flying journey.

Good luck.

Edited by Piers Bowlan

I would check out the kit offerings from pegasus models. Many have slab sided balsa fuselages with foam core wings and deckings for the fuselage. They are usually quick to build and difficult to screw up as the wing is already set and building a banana is almost impossible. The fuselage is a simple box structure with the tail end of the fuselage sides pinched together. All you need to build one is a flat table and some squares (i use old CD cases due to availability and cost) for an accurate build. 

With all that said, the final choice of model will boil down to personal preference but also your current level of ability. There is no point building a lovely model which is beyond your current level. The choice of power plant is also helpful to know as it guides the size of the model. If you are able to provide these details we can probably offer more accurate recommendations. 

Hooch, to build a model aeroplane you will need a building board and a table to put it on. I use a piece of plasterboard for mine. You will also need a modelling knife, I use a Swann Morton scalpel and a balsa saw and Stanley knife for thicker wood. Pins such as the ones shown in the pictures below are a good investment. I use aliphatic glues for most joints but I have been using more cyano recently and half-hour epoxy where extra stength is needed.

You can see my building board, pins and some aliphatic glue in the pictures below. Finally if you were to join a club I feel sure that someone would help you with the build if you asked them.

Have I used enough pins (1).JPG

Have I used enough pins 2.JPG

• Like 1

So many suggestions, I will take a read through all of them.

I did start watching the below vid on YouTube:

A few minutes in and I was way out of my depth. I was only looking at this model as there is one for sale near me but I already knew it was quite an advanced build.

It looks like I will need to walk before I can run so an easy kit is needed for the moment. I do want to do the whole covering and painting thing so would like to build the wings myself.

I would love one with an old fuel motor in as opposed to electric as I really like the classic sound and mechanical aspect of it, I'm don't really like the whole foam plane/electric idea. No doubt I will build this, be really proud of it then not ever want to fly it at the risk of damaging it...

5 hours ago, Piers Bowlan said:

Hi Hooch, whilst the Super 60 is an excellent model and a classic, take a look at The Vintage Model Company’s ‘Balsa Basics Cub.’ The 42in span model is CNC and the parts slot easily together before glueing. There is a full build video on YouTube which you might find helpful and avoid beginners mistakes. VMC can also supply a full electronics setup for this model which will save any guesswork. This includes the motor, electronic speed controller (ESC) propeller and servos. You will also need a radio control system (transmitter and receiver) which will need careful consideration, so I suggest you get plenty of advice before splurging the cash! Just build the model first.

This is a three channel model (rudder, elevator and throttle), The VMC also do an ‘aileron wing’ as an alternative which has less dihedral and as the name suggests, ailerons! I suggest stick with the three channel version to start with as it will have more stability and hopefully easier to fly. There is a first flight video here too. 

Lastly join a club to help you on your model flying journey.

Good luck.

I think you might have hit the nail on the head with this one for a first build. It looks perfectly simple and will give me the basic knowledge of how they go together. I'm going to get this, see how it goes then go for a more advanced build.

Thanks guys, your suggestions have been awesome 👍🏻

• Like 1

Hooch, the Falcon is the holy grail of vintage models and not for someone new to building. The similar size Majestic Major is a much simpler build: https://www.benbucklevintage.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_5&products_id=17

My fist successful r/c model was a Junior 60: https://www.benbucklevintage.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_4&products_id=13 The Majestic Major is an enlargement of it.

Junior 60 in Flight.jpg

J60 in winter.jpg

6 minutes ago, Hoochykins said:

@David Davis Yep, I have bought myself the basic cub from Vintage Models and I think I will make the BF109 after. Small steps.

Ok Hooch, the Cub seems to be an easy model to build though it's a bit smaller than I would normally recommend. Are you going in for the three or four channel version. If you've chosen the three channel version, I'd advise you to get familiar with a high wing model with ailerons first before going on to the 109. After all the real Bf 109 pilots flew at least two different trainers before they flew the fighter.

18 hours ago, Hoochykins said:

@David Davis Yep, I have bought myself the basic cub from Vintage Models and I think I will make the BF109 after. Small steps.

I actually thought of getting this model for my grandson when he is a little older as he is only five at the moment, although he seems to have great concentration when it comes to building anything - at the moment Lego! It is to be a joint Grandad/Grandson project!

The VMC Me109 follows the same methodology as the Cub so I don’t think it will be much more difficult to put together.  
How much more difficult to fly depends on natural ability (spatial skills) and reactions, which in turn can be down to age, to some degree. If a model has a low wing loading, is properly balanced, trimmed and devoid of warps or other naughties, an aileron model can be as easy to fly as a RET one- sometimes easier. Just get someone experienced to test fly it once you have finished the build!

Edited by Piers Bowlan

Just a small caveat based on experience.........gliders are more forgiving for the beginner but can still very easily get away from you especially if incorrectly trimmed, and the pilot is slow to recognise what's happening and doesn't take the correct action or is slow because of lack of experience.  Commonly, this happens on a day with even just a slight breeze and before you know it, the model has quickly drifted down wind and beyond easy sight of what it's doing.  It happens very quickly and takes beginners by surprise, I can assure you.

Sport models such as Cubs etc and  'docile' vintage high wingers etc are a different proposition for the early stage learner in that they will even more quickly get away from the beginner due to their better performance and in no time will go beyond recovery without correct intervention.

All I'm saying is to get an experienced pilot to test fly your models at this stage, don't be tempted to give it a go and see what happens - a dead simple bit of retrimming on the TX trims to stop stalling or a tendency to pull right or left for an established pilot is highly likely to take a raw beginner by surprise with inevitable results.

Think carefully before committing yourself to building a model at this stage. Years ago we had no choice but today there are many first class ready to go models available new and second hand that will take the knocks of learning, without the heartache of seeing many hours of labour wasted over a building board caused by damage or much worse in a crack up. It's demoralising and quite unnecessary these days - plenty of time to spend building once a degree of experience has been attained. Just my view of course.

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Cuban8 said:

Just a small caveat based on experience.........gliders are more forgiving for the beginner but can still very easily get away from you especially if incorrectly trimmed, and the pilot is slow to recognise what's happening and doesn't take the correct action or is slow because of lack of experience.  Commonly, this happens on a day with even just a slight breeze and before you know it, the model has quickly drifted down wind and beyond easy sight of what it's doing.  It happens very quickly and takes beginners by surprise, I can assure you.

Sport models such as Cubs etc and  'docile' vintage high wingers etc are a different proposition for the early stage learner in that they will even more quickly get away from the beginner due to their better performance and in no time will go beyond recovery without correct intervention.

All I'm saying is to get an experienced pilot to test fly your models at this stage, don't be tempted to give it a go and see what happens - a dead simple bit of retrimming on the TX trims to stop stalling or a tendency to pull right or left for an established pilot is highly likely to take a raw beginner by surprise with inevitable results.

Think carefully before committing yourself to building a model at this stage. Years ago we had no choice but today there are many first class ready to go models available new and second hand that will take the knocks of learning, without the heartache of seeing many hours of labour wasted over a building board caused by damage or much worse in a crack up. It's demoralising and quite unnecessary these days - plenty of time to spend building once a degree of experience has been attained. Just my view of course.

At the moment I'm only building the planes because I want to put together some models, better than airfix which is just plastic and doesn't do anything after, I want to get these looking mint with tight wrinkle free covering. Then in the future I would like to build some older models like the Ben Buckle kits and cover them in cream and red covering for that vintage colour scheme, lovely 🥰

Received the Vintage Model Company Cub kit today and started putting it together, it's very staight forward but it will be the first time covering a model so I think that will be the more challenging bit.

I'd like a more advanced kit, something that isn't full on oldschool advanced "here's your plans now off you go". I would like a bit of hand holding through the process so more details instructions or something with a build video would be helpful. It would be good to build from plans so I can give that a go then in the future I might be able to tackle a Ben Buckle model or similar.

No need to worry about if it's a model for beginnners as I will work up to flying it, I just enjoy the bulding process 😀

• Like 2

Hi Hooch. Have you looked at Ron Gray's VLOG on the Warbird Replica FW190? If not you may find it useful. I think the model is probably sold out as they are produced in batches but you never know. Richard is soon to bring out a Hawker Typhoon and the construction and building techniques are pretty much the same. You could put your name down for one of the kits for when they become available but watch Ron’s Videos in the meantime.