Beginner kit recommendations

2 hours ago, EarlyBird said:

This is a good one for a beginner, just to get back on topic.

Sky 40 (slecuk.com)

I like it, I think that's a contender for the next or the on after. 100% would love to stick a proper engine on, do these just use nitro motors like RC cars or something different?

I may do an electric glider next, if there's an equivalent to the Sky 40 but a glider that would be perfect.

I did visit Motors and Rotors in Kings Langley yesterday and im sure the guy said about Slec...

On another note this covering takes ages but it's quite enjoyable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rich Griff said:

May I ask, did you get the bundle with propulsion/servo package and radio link radio gear hooch ?

I didn't, I bought the boys separately and saved over half the price.

2 hours ago, chris collis said:

Just  an off the wall idea,something like a Veron big Impala,Flair Heron or Sorcerer if you can get them.All flew well and very easy to build and fly. May be worth looking on fleebay or forums.

I will take a look 🙂

Missed the second page, again!

How about the SLEC Coyote glider Coyote Glider 1320mm (52") span (slecuk.com)  It can be built as a powered or non-powered version.

Coyote Glider  1320mm (52") span

I haven't built a Coyote (but quite fancy one at some time), but I have built, flown and destroyed (mid-air collision) an SLEC Funfly. The quality of the kit, and the illustrated instructions, were excellent, and I can only assume that the Coyote kit is likewise. 

There are also some build videos and blogs online if needed.

GDB

• Like 2

So many suggestions for models so far, but at the risk of confusing even more I suggest considering the SLEC Coyote glider / electric model.   A low price kit but SLEC always have really clear instructions which I think is important.    However the most important thing is to build the model you really DESIRE and also something that suits your flying skills and field.  

Another point to consider with the model you are covering is colour - not to make it look pretty ( although that's good ) but to make it visable when high in the sky in any lighting/cloud conditions.  Consider white or yellow with red  tips on top of wing and red or orange  or dayglo under the wing.   Blue or any camouflage scheme is the worst in many lighting conditions.   High visibility is important.

Internet being troublesome, post above was posted ages ago I thought.

IC glow engine similar to RC cars ( 2t ) but with less of a finned cylinder head, and use less nitro fuels. There are 4t engines also  There are compression ignition types ( diesel ) but fuel is expensive, but engines more fuel economical.

There are even petrol fueled engines these days.

And "jet" engines.

19 minutes ago, Caveman said:

How about the SLEC Coyote glider Coyote Glider 1320mm (52") span (slecuk.com)  It can be built as a powered or non-powered version.

Coyote Glider  1320mm (52") span

I haven't built a Coyote (but quite fancy one at some time), but I have built, flown and destroyed (mid-air collision) an SLEC Funfly. The quality of the kit, and the illustrated instructions, were excellent, and I can only assume that the Coyote kit is likewise. 

There are also some build videos and blogs online if needed.

GDB

Cute, it 3 channel ?

I think it's going to be the Coyote and I'm going to steal the colours this guy used as the blue over the white is gorgeous 😍:

Then the Sky 40 and a nice petrol/diesel/nitro motor.

Even if I don't fly them for a while I don't mind, I just enjoy the building aspect.

• Like 1

I've got a SLEC Coyote that I built about 18 months ago, great kit flies really well despite managing to buil a small warp in the wing!

It is well designed with parts for glider or electric version and everything fits precisely, even some film to protect the huge, clear plan is provided. I powered mine with a small outrunner and 3s 1300mA lipo.

Although is flies really well I wouldn't recommend the Coyote for a first model as it's a bit small and fast, move onto it after a high wing trainer.