PTFE or not PTFE that is the question

cymaz

I’ve got several SC 46 2t engines. All have, to some degree, loose HS needle threads. I assume from poor tolerances on manufacturing and age.

I've added an extra O ring of fuel tube on the needle shaft. 

What good would adding PTFE tape around the threads do? Does the tape deteriorate in the presence of glow fuel?

Thanks!

Advert

Not actually tried it on needles as fuel tube has been sufficient however - I do use a length between the cylinder and exhaust on up to .53 2* (just wide enough). This seals brilliantly and doesn't slacken off due to compression being so thin and also appears to be fuel tolerant. I believe it comes in two thickness 1) thinner for water 2) thicker for gas. I use the thicker one on exhausts but probably a bit thick for the fine needle thread - try the thinner one. Remember to wrap it so it tightens when screwed in 😉

Could also work on loose 4* exhaust?

Edited by Ace

8 minutes ago, Ace said:

Not actually tried it on needles as fuel tube has been sufficient however - I do use a length between the cylinder and exhaust on up to .53 2* (just wide enough). This seals brilliantly and doesn't slacken off due to compression being so thin and also appears to be fuel tolerant. I believe it comes in two thickness 1) thinner for water 2) thicker for gas. I use the thicker one on exhausts but probably a bit thick for the fine needle thread - try the thinner one. Remember to wrap it so it tightens when screwed in 😉

Could also work on loose 4* exhaust?

I use the Teflon tape as a standard practice on all my four stroke exhausts, seals up the threads nicely.

Regarding the question from Cymaz, while the tape is glow fuel tolerant , and will also seal the needle threads, I would be more worried about the teflon tape pieces making way to the fuel passages in the NV assembly, this can happen as needles may need opening and closing/reinsertion and that can cause the tape to shed some pieces.

The O ring on the needle is what  seals and keeps the needle snug in the housing. If you have play change the O ring.

The fuel tube trick you have already employed should be also working fine   

3 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

I don't know how what your needle valve looks like, but we used to put a bit of silicone fuel tubing on it as a sleeve, it stopped air leaks and unscrewing due to vibration.

Should never have stopped using Castor based fuels - used to bung up worn needle valve threads a treat.......😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

There will be a gap between needle body and body of carb, threaded bit visible on most carbs. Piece of tube a tad longer, so both ends are squeezed in in normal run position.  Hwyl.

• Like 1