petrol engines

Mounty

Has there been any articles or information put into print in the magazine with regards to installing and setting up / starting of petrol engines, this is an area I would like to explore after seeing a friends plane with a 20cc petrol engine installed, any of the above info/photos/advice would be most welcome, Cheers, Joe

Advert

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

Watch out if buying the Pitts style exhausts mentioned above. I just fitted a model out for a club member which included a new Evolution 10cc petrol engine with Just Engines Pitts style exhaust - it is stupidly loud and would fail any noise test or lose a flying field. It's just an empty tin box which fits the engine and cowl but does nothing to muffle the noise.

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 01/10/2014 21:50:47:

Odd, I have a JE BCM Pitts on a 60FX and it's not too bad at all, though the Evo 10GX does have a nasty edge to the exhaust - I need to run 13*8 props to get through the club test with the standard silencer.

Bob...you need to fit your 10GX with an ASP52 muffler fits perfectly & really takes the crackle off the Evos exhaust note with no loss of power that I can detect.....works very well...thumbs up

Posted by Mounty on 27/05/2007 20:45:00:
Has there been any articles or information put into print in the magazine with regards to installing and setting up / starting of petrol engines, this is an area I would like to explore after seeing a friends plane with a 20cc petrol engine installed, any of the above info/photos/advice would be most welcome, Cheers, Joe

not sure about that, but having moved from glow to petrol myself, I found the most important bit of information to be in regards to the alignment of the prop in relation to TDC. After many, many attempts at hand starting my 1st petrol, I discovered that the props are not aligned the same as a glow engine. If you get that right, I find mine easy to hand start - I've never used a starter on my petrol engines.

Rich

My son has bitten the bullet and bought a petrol engine, a Saito 4 stroke. We've dabbled with 2 strokes but have been unable to get the noise down. Finally, four strokes seem to have solved the problem. Whilst it was an expensive engine, Saito 30cc, it's excellent. I can foresee that four stroke petrol will be the way to go.