Hard core of the club

I wonder what is the average percentage of really active members that there are in most clubs.
We have a small club but only the same 47% turn out week after week if it is at all flyable.
24% come if a) the wind is under 10 mph and b) the field in use is less that ten miles from their home.
24% are restricted severely by WAGS to the extent that we see them about once a year
and 5% never come for some other reason(Lost interest).
Considering that we have allocated frequencies with NO duplicates so unlimted flying is possible this is a bit sad.
Does your club have better attendance figures

Advert

Our club varying year on year from about 90 -110 members.

Out of that approximately 30% of the members do 90% of the flying. We have to log in on each site visit, with the frequency used, so have good figures going back several years on attendance at the field. Something approaching 50% of the membership make just one or two flying visits each year.

Several members have joined and have never been seen at the field, not even once. Those members tend not to rejoin the following year. In years gone by they might have been made up of members who joined on buying a kit and then never completed it, but you would think that number would have gone down with the advent of ARTF.

David

Does a member cut the grass - very altruistic if it is a member and it's not you !

We have about 35 members and on a 'busy' saturday or sunday there may be half a dozen fliers. I think I've only ever met about 8 of the club members. If I go on a weekday, I can arrive at 10:00 and not see a soul until I leave - whatever time that is.......... we have a lovely site and can fly 10:00 - 21:00 any day. Would have thought it's be taken advantage of more. I'm not complaining - I like to fly on my own. 'elf n safety notwithstanding ! Oh, and there's one member I've seen about a dozen times; well I've seen him unloading his car and sitting in a camping chair - never seen him actually fly.

GG

Our club had about 70 members, above half of whom rarly came near to the field. Unfortunatley due to noise complaints by one (new) local resident our local council recentley banned Sunday flying. Now we have just 19 members, but all of them fly on a regular basis.

We have one private airstrip on a farm where a member works, he cuts that one, one on a private strip where we have to rely on the owner cutting it and one concrete strip on an abandoned WW II airfield.
Years ago I asked for help cutting a strip on a field that we once had. didn't get any. When I complained I was told "You can't expect people to disrupt their lives to help you" At that point I told them what to do with the secretaries job.

within the 2 clubs i belong to one club i've only met 25% of the members ever and if i see anyone other than the 3 of us that regularly use the field more than twice a year its unusual. the other club i belong to has a 35% active hardcore 4 of us will go up whatever the weather to try to get a flight in.
regards
nasa

Im the chairman of Beaulieu Model Committee with something like 450 permits issued each year to fly. Even on a hot windless saturday, we might be lucky to get 15 fliers turn up.

Weekdays and winter are the time to find the hardcore few turn up and fly an assortment of models.

Constrast that to my local club that has 30 members, 2 flying sites and unlimited access and its deserted bar a few saturday mornings when a few turn up!!

My point to all this being, when I started flying about a year ago, I couldnt find a single club within 30 miles that had a vacancy. Most clubs tell you there full but you rarely see more than a handful of flyers using the site. I wish they would consider seasonal or social memberships alongside flying memberships. I ended up flying off any field I could find in the hope I wasnt spotted.

at my club we ahve a similar problem, 12 months ago we capped the membership at 80, and at ths years AGM it was voted to cap it again, i and some others at the club voted against capping of the membership, "as we have a 5 in the air at any one time rule, to my mind it makes no difference to noise if we have 50 or 5000 members" i have seen no more than 5 members at the flying field even on a good day, and the last 2 funfly days were unsuported, some of the older died in the wool members seem to want it kept exclusive, which is a shame, as like you, there are some that are turned away because of this capping of memberships...

We do cap the number for two reasons. First everyone has their own frequency so there is no need for pegboards etc. The other reason is that we park in farmers yards and they don't want the possibility of dozens of cars jamming it up.
We only got our conrete strip because we told the owner of the limit on members. They don't realise that so few would actually attend, they just invisage cars all over the place.

its the same with both our clubs yet i do think there is a call for asking those who don't intend to fly this year as such or ever to move aside maybe and let an active person come along and enjoy the field sometime.
i think the most i've ever seen at my club at anyone time is 12 maximum and the club has 30 odd members
nasa