Awesome weather - how much flying are you getting in?

Calm and bright here in the Midlands. Had a few hours at the patch today. It went very cold if the sun went in, but it's been a lovely day most of the time.

Better try to get out again tomorrow as Metcheck has a weather warning out for late Sunday to Tuesday. "Heavy Rain and Gale/Severe Gale Risk" Let's hope they are wrong..

Advert

Good day today - heavy rain about lunch time for about 30mins. We just sheltered in the cars - then the rest of the day was really great. No wind etc. As in Chris's case got a bit cold late in the afternoon.

Tomorrow is supposed to better! But after that it all goes severely downhill!

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother on 06/11/2010 22:51:40:
Like FTB when I select a post to this thread all I get is the "new post" window! No thread!!

BEB
 Yep, me too - I have to go to the latest posts thread in the left hand pane, click the link and then navigate to the last page (my defaults are set to open at the last page). Only seems to be happening with this thread.

Pete

Lovely day for me as well, as I went back to my old field in Italy for the weekend
(this is not politcally correct - I went back for the weekend to see my lovely family)
The visibility was not great as the sky was cloud covered but there was no wind at all - so I had some very relaxing flights with my old brused and battered yak. And I sold one of my old radios!
So it was a perfect day. (unfortunately only one - it is raining today...)

Mark has replied. Seems the likeliest cause a "miscount" of the page numbers by the forum, on very long threads for certain members. This is possibly only affecting those people who have certain members "ignored" in their personal profile settings.
Ill check this a bit further.

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 07/11/2010 15:12:45

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother on 07/11/2010 23:14:29:
Seems to be working again - even though I too have no one "ignored"!

BEB

Still dosent work for me and I dont have any "ignored".  Only way I can get in is to either click via the latests post window on the left.   OR ....  type "awesome weather"  in the thread search bar.....

Yesterday at our field was perfect flying conditions if a little cold.  Flew my big Seagull extra with 160 OS 2 stroke.  I'd forgotten how good a flyer it is  

Frederico the foreign lad
 then arrived only to immediately snap yet another shaft on his brushles motor

Yet again No sign of Ken NE1....  Although I did get a text later that day to say he had been on parade in Tesco's (AKA his Domestic Duties)

Edited By Craig Carr on 08/11/2010 11:33:35

well young NE.. 1. has to wear many hat's....and one of them came out yesterday..... ie..family man is the word.....what been a dad/grandad .....not enough hour's in the day....as for the 'shaft snapping' episode...was that not the one he tried to cyno together?...it's hard trying to communicate with him - not been able to grasp the 'queen's english'   as well as us colonial's....

ken anderson....ne....1..away to work on project X.

TX/FF9 front---that's another story..to be told..     

Edited By ken anderson. on 08/11/2010 11:52:13

What a day, was Sunday morning!

Clear blue sky, hardly a breath of air, a little chilly.

I knew it was good, even before leaving my air conditioned cocoon. Why there were at least 6 cars there all ready. I had the indignity of walking an extra 50 feet to the field.

As I crossed to the flying area a DH2, you know, one of those pusher biplanes of the first World War was lazily circling in a circuit.  I saw it dive flat out doing a low pass across the field, barely above the grass, as it sped by at a heady 10mph. It looked good.

What had I brought? I was clutching my tiny 36" Ta 153H. Yep, the one I expertly crashed on launch. I needed some one half way competent. I briefly nominated me, then sense was regained. It had to be the DH 2 flyer. If he is not flying something like that, it is one of those Mirage thingies, or a Euro Fighter. I know he is good, all the other members complain of the ankle high low passes, with a twinkle roll as knee height is almost reached.

I accepted that this could well be the models last outing. The positive, is that the Radio gear and memory space would be liberated for another model. The 45" version of the Ta 152H, currently nearing completion. I explained that it had gone in by rolling to the left, and sinking downwards, before striking the ground and that I had not been fast enough with the controls. Anyway i had now reset the elevator and tweaked the ailerons.

So what happened, It climbed away with little hassle from a hand launch. For the next, well I do not know minutes, it swooped, climbed, rolled and looped, I was awestruck as it looked great in the air, the splinter camouflage, looked the dogs thingies. The landing was a real greaser. None of my shedding of component parts, until the motor can be seen to be stationary and wing no longer fluttering about as it escapes the model.

The debrief reveled that it flew fine, needs the speed keeping up, a tendency to tip stall. But then again I fly mode 1, mode 2 was a bit of a challenge.

What did I fly, well it was an electrified A2 styled, electric model, using a MH 32 wing section, that is 3/8" thick wing. On launch it goes a true vertical at a great rate of knots. There after I either thermal (attempt) or become a hooligan. Bunts, loops, low passes etc. The tiny rudder/fin prevents decent rolls. I have a spare wing which is slightly thinner. I have been considering putting ailerons on the tip panels, and removing the dihedral. Though hiding the wires on such a thin wing could be a real challenge. Any way I was badgered to come down to let some one else go up. That is life, and the battery still with life!

So I flew my Do335 as it is 2.4 (as is the 153), I always love flying that.

Then it was of home, pick up the sane half, then across the pennines to Ilkley, passing row after row of stationary "Wind Turbines". At least all the reservoirs appear to be full now.

I'm still having to go the long way round to get here. Is it working fine for everyone else? I've also noticed that clicking the link to 'Building the Nijhuis Lysander only takes me to this page, not into Rookie Jim's build blog.

Oh, no flying today here - been blowing a hoolie with heavy showers all day long. Just getting on with my Tiggie and putting logs in the woodburner.............

Winter draws on, I think.............

Pete

I'm sorry that you and a couple of others are still experiencing problems Pete - but as you know - I have contacted our tech guys about it. Its something to do with the system incorrectly counting the pages, and they have promised to keep working on it - although it may be some time yet.
meanwhile ( I know its not a great solution ) you could try setting your preferences to ""start at first page" of a thread rather than the last.

Today is Wednesday, every one knows that Wednesday is a flying day! That is weather permitting. So what is the weather like? Not bad, not bad at all. Particularly compared with the wind and rain of yesterday.

I arrived as usual at the field at about 13:00 hrs or 1 o'clock. Looking into the distance suggested the wind turbines on the Pennines were again still. Which means that our field is calm. Looking further round to the west Pennines, there seemed to be evidence of snow on the top of the hills, could this be possible? It was certainly cold.

The sky was the purest blue, with 3 or 4 small clouds, somewhat similar to those seen in some surrealist paintings.

After assembling my sagitta, it was launched into the almost still air, slowly she climbed. After about 10 minutes it was time for another climb, this time it was more spirited as the battery had warmed up (I think), yet another search around for the whiff of a thermal, yet again the motor was switched back on to repeat the cycle until there was signs of the battery sagging. After 30 or so minutes I landed. It was the best landing I had made in years, just where I wanted, with no drams at all. These flights always happen when you are by yourself, is it stress?

I did notice that the bird activity is very different. Now there are many Gulls in evidence, just flapping or gliding through. Although the cries of the Buzzards can be heard in the nearby copse, they are hardly seen, then flapping at low level. There are a largish numbers of very small birds in the field, If you remain stationary, they will fly quite close, what hey are I have no clue. They have a span of about 4", very pointed wings, broad cord at the body, often flapping into wind, where they appear to briefly hover, straight flight consists of furious wing beats, then the wings folded in, they just, well fly, the flap again, fold in wings etc. Thee must have been 40 or so in the field.

At last the rest of the club appeared, as the clouds rolled in, the wind bit ever more, and a darkness approached. For me time to go home.

I climbed into my car, the air-con, rapidly heated the cabin as I returned home, a happy man.