The Cafe

Former Member

I lived in Germany for a few years and it did not matter what the weather did life went on. Here a little snow , a little ice and the country comes to a stand still.  I remember driving down the autobahn and a steep hill came up in front. Snow was on the ground ( not just a loose scattering) people were fixing snow chains and ploughing on. No problems there. Perhaps we should adopt some of this!!

Advert

I've noticed a small improvement in driving skills since the snow last year - but when we've only had serious snow once or twice in a decade, is it reasonable for everyone to invest in chains and a set of winter tyres as do most drivers in countries where it snows properly every winter?

Put this together with the incredible overcrowding of our roads and it's not much of a surprise that chaos reigns. The generation of drivers that has grown up in the last 20 years of mild winters (that was when scientists were predicting the return of the ice age, BTW - before the realisation that you could raise taxes on the back of global warming) has to learn skills that we took for granted before that.

Oh yes, and a typical car was running on 145 tyres, not 195s upwards so the contact pressure was much higher than the lightweight fuel efficient cars of today, running on wide floaty tyres - I know the hill climbing ability in snow of the average car has deteriorated beyond all recognition.  Traction control might help by simulating a limited slip differential if you've got it - unfortunately there are very few cars where you can half apply the handbrake to the driven wheels in order to share the drive from a spinning wheel any more.  ABS can help an inexperienced driver to stop and steer but the limiting factor is really the tyre grip.

Posted by Gaz Elliott on 22/12/2009 14:10:38:
I lived in Germany for a few years and it did not matter what the weather did life went on. Here a little snow , a little ice and the country comes to a stand still.  I remember driving down the autobahn and a steep hill came up in front. Snow was on the ground ( not just a loose scattering) people were fixing snow chains and ploughing on. No problems there. Perhaps we should adopt some of this!!

Gaz,
I was working in Lithuania a couple of years ago when it got down to -40c and everything still worked. Over here as soon as we a couple of inches of snow everything comes to a grinding halt!

Yep it amazes me how we in the UK grind to a halt as soon as anything away from the ordinary rain occurs for more than a few days in a row.

We flew into Norway not so long ago, the runway was ice, the taxiways were ice and I'm quite sure all the roads would be ice too but the airport still operated as normal. Taxi speeds are a little slower or she will just plough straight on but if you adjust to your conditions then it's not a problem.

-14' and icy

This is strange but true. I recently decided to sell off some of my 35mm camera equipment that I do not use, so I put a Makinon 300mm mirror lens on that well-known internet auction site.
I thought I might get about £20-£30 for it.

A day before the auction ended I received an email from a buyer in Malaysia asking if I would send it there. I said no. Just before the auction ended I had another email from the gentleman who said that he had a friend in the UK and when! he won it would I send it there? By then the alarm bells were ringing.

The listing ended at over £87 and I then had an email from him saying that he would add £30 to the final price if I sent it directly to Malaysia by recorded delivery.Alarm bells again.
When the money arrived in my PayPal account I was still very cautious and sent it by the most secure method possible, it cost me £12.50.
Received a nice thank you when it arrived safely. Mind you I still keep my eyes on my a/c.!
But, be careful when using these auction houses and double check everything.

Posted by Pete B on 01/01/2010 21:01:27:
Rock? Thermals? Now you're confusing me, Timbo............

Pete

Ah, obviously a man who is not familiar with the gliding section of the forum eh?
As for the thermals, I assure you that a forecast of 22 MPH at sea level, with temperatures of around 1 degree, translates into at least 2 layers od thermal long johns, 3 pairs of socks, and 4 shirts, all topped off with Fladen survival suit and a wooly hat when on the rock ( The Great Orme )
After having brought the Alula into the house yesterday for charging ( forecast was 3 mph ).
This mornings forecast ( 12 ) suggested the Skizzo might be better so swopped over
Latest forecast suggests it may well be Jarty time (22 ) ....so thats on charge now.
Me thinks the car will be fully loaded with 8 different models tomorrow - should hopefully cover every possible condition. Best get the charger out again
Im taking...
2 X 46" Wildthings ( I X heavy, 1 X light )
1 x Jart LT
1 X  crunchie Skizzo
1 X Falcon
1 X Alula
1 X EPP Eagle ( EP )
1 X BAe crunchie Hawk