BAe Hawk Crash!

woody

Hi All
Can i just say how sorry i was to see matthew bishop crash his airworld hawk at woodspring wings on saturday afternoon! Steve and Matthew put on such a brilliant show, this is not only a finanical loss to him but an even bigger loss to the spectators up and down the country. Lets just hope he can get another one and keep their display going.
All the best James.

Advert

I was gob smacked reading your thread Woody, I thought them the icing on the cake at Wings &  Wheels.
When they finished their routine, and landed together, all around us there was a standing ovation. I was emotionally choked, as  I never thought I would ever see RC flying to that degree.
 A sad day for us spectators, but a much sadder day for Steve and Matthew.

Not quite sure how it happend they broke off from each other and on coming back towards each other for a pass the jet on the left seemed to be a bit low and caught the reads which surround the field the model went in and burst into flames!!

Very sad, and reminded me all too much of my flyfly EDF hawk going in terminally a week or so back .
Mine was also a failure of the all moving tailplane arrangement - something which definately needs a very strong and powerful setup...after all there must be some pretty darn big forces acting on those surfaces in a dive etc.
We are having a good discussion about servos and torque etc over here.

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 07/07/2009 14:13:48

• 3 months later...
Posted by IanN on 31/10/2009 00:21:20:
Allan said "here is some footage of the crash on YouTube"

No there is not.

There is no footage of the crash. Nothing that informs. Just some film of some seriously great display flying, then a fireball in the background.

sorry do you feel short changed ??? allan has put up the only footage we know of sorry thats not good enough personally when £10k's worth of aircraft goes in i'm sure the owner would rather not be reminded of it to be quite honest...

you'll be glad to hear the model has been replaced and Matt is flying to top form again

Not quite how I see it Bruce.  Apart from the model flying left to right, it was already on a trajectory where it was going to hit the ground and given the precision with which the pair were flown in the video and at Wings and Wheels where I watched with my jaw scraping the ground, was not under the full control of the pilot.

Servo failure. metal gear digital stripped it's threads. matt then had nothing he could do but watch helplessly as it stoofed in.

The guys get nothing for displaying etc. They do occasionally get a bit of sponsorship or discounts now and again, indeed the replacement Hawk cost them almost full price despite being a great exponent for the brand.

But it's all done for the fun and no financial reward.

Posted by nasa_steve on 31/10/2009 00:32:28:

sorry do you feel short changed ??? allan has put up the only footage we know of sorry thats not good enough   

As we don't know each other I'm happy to give you the benefit of assuming that the seemingly pejorative tone is unintentional, and will assume that your question was a genuine and open one

Answer is an emphatic no, I didn't feel short changed.

I really don't like crash vids, but I acknowledge they can be very useful in that we can all learn from them.

I didn't see anything that could be learned from this clip - probably borne out by some of the discussion that's occurred since. So, this didn't tick any boxes for me.

That's just my personal opinion, not a crit of the poster or anyone else.

Edited By IanN on 31/10/2009 22:46:09

Fair comment Ian but I was left wondering what I had done wrong on your first posting.

Agreed that 'crash' videos are not my kind of entertainment either but thought it worth posting here as it was the only footage of the incident I have seen (as I wasn't there) and may have clarified the incident for others who had already commented before my addition.

I don't wish to offend anyone or rub salt into any wounds of the display team, I was very happy to hear they were back in full force. Good luck to them, I look forward to seeing them again next year.