Eneloop Batteries

John Leonard

I needed a new Tx Square Battery (Futaba) & looked at these having seen the advert in the mag.

I then found batteries with a similar claim(spec) supplied by www.vapextech.co.uk via their ebay shop. The cost £11.20 inc postage with next day delivery. Not fully tested yet but initial findings are good.

Thought this might be of some interest.

John Leonard

Advert

I bought  2 sets of 4 Vapextech AA instants for using in my camera 2 years ago. One set is still excellent though following abuse the other doesn't seem to hold its charge well -but I put it down to letting wifey borrow them and she really run them very flat in a silly camera that used batteries even when it was off. I find that they do benefit from cycling them every so often, they improve the amount of charge they take (I know this isn't supposed to happen but that's what I've measured).
I've had 2 Rx sets for about 3 months and they're fine. Will definitely buy more.

I guess it's natural to think that about any new product feature Andy but this site carries no ad's relating to many of the new items I feature on the front page. I put them up simply because I like new stuff, anything interesting and I take the view that others may do too. It really is as simple as that so ignore 'em if you're happier doing so.

More importantly the new items go straight into the review section here on the site so leave a review if you have an opinion on an item/s that you want to share.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME moderator on 09/10/2009 21:50:43

i12fly: there's some product documentation on the Eneloop site and it says it's OK to store them either charged or flat, but if you store them flat you will need to cycle them to get back full capacity.  So it seems your experience is correct, and there's no harm in cycling the bad pair a few times.  It's what I do too (with my Vapextech Instant and UniRoss Hybrio ones).

David: your advert implies that this technology is new.  I ordered my first UniRoss Hybrio ones in April 2007.  They claim similar advantages.

i was in poundland the other day they had 400m/ah AAA rechargeable cell's-2 for £1.00...........handy if her indoor's is stuck for something to get you for a christmas present........ .............................

ken anderson................you could get in the picture's for 4p when i was a lad......  'sss.

Been using them, (AA and AAA),  for over a year (i.e. from when they were first available at European trade shows). Varied use (not just model gear) and differing current demands, shows they are good on low current draw e.g. a Spektrum Tx but a portable music MP3 recorder soon 'blinked' red indicating low battery so still not a universal replacement for Duracell AAs or AAAs !!! UK prices seem high too.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been using the Vapextech "instants". I've so far got Tx packs in my FF9 and my lad's 6EX, a receiver pack in his Arising Star, and "instants" in his digital camera too, and I'm impressed with them so far.
Yes, they do drop voltage a little over time but certainly not as much as my other "ordinary" NiMh packs, I'm certainly impressed by not having to "rush home" to charge up the gear when the weather looks like it may be flyable, they're just ready to go.

I've used both the Vapextech.co.uk and their eBay shop and delivery has been swift on both.

I was working on the covering of one of my models when I noticed that the battery switch was on. It is a 4.8v 2000mAh Eleloop pack and was flat as a pancake. it took over two hours at 1 amp to put back the 2000mA but the charger shut off (2000mA limit set) before the "peak detect" operated. It seems to be holding a charge but have I ruined what was a brand new pack?

Previously I had mentioned that I had a set of Enelope RX batteries, with no problems.  I  have a 4.8v pack 2000 mh pack for my reciever.  I accepted what was said on the packet blurp.  However I was sure the they were under performing.  So, I connected them to my Gruapner 16 Ultramat.  Set the parametters to the required state 'Conditioning charge'.  The batteries would NOT charge above 253 Mh.. The Voltage charge reached 12..876 and the battery was extremeley hot.  Not impressed.  Was it me - advice welcomed.  Since charged other TX & RX batteries of other makes - NO problems.

BB