BNF, PNP, WTH???

David perry 1

Advert

And when I started, I was mystified for a while by ...

TX   (Transmitter)
  RX  (Receiver)
 XTAL   (Crystal)
 ROG  (Rise Off Ground - refers to a take-off from the ground on undercarriage)
  1C     the battery charge level which would recharge the battery pack in 1 Hour

Every form of human endeavour seems to generate its own language, jargon and mnemonics.  When I started working for Michelin many years ago, I was astounded to find that internally no-one ever used the word "tyres" - they were called "covers".  I had always thought that word was just hoteliers' jargon for place-settings!

I've never understood why marketing people use jargon however, yet you see it all the time in adverts.  Maybe they only want to sell to the "initiated".

Edited By Romeo Whisky on 30/10/2009 14:21:45

Ref CGISBAGF, yes, but how wrong were we back then?

How many dicussions were held alongside the field, in the pits and in pubs on wet days, about the terrrible influx of these horrid ARTFs and the trashy undisciplined sort of modellers, and modelling, that would enter the hallowed halls of AeroModelling?

Boy were we wrong.  The stuff was tatty at the beginning, but now? What would we do woithout it. And the quality of the modellers? Bit arrogant weren't we?

My only gripe about RTF / ARTF is that the species has been plagued by the virus known as Edg E5 40 and clones.

D

BNF & PNF
Yes definitions mostly correct ... but ...
Looking at the latest E-Flite offering, the '4 Point', it is offered in BNF & PNF options. Both have Rx neither come with a Tx but the BNF has the flight LiPos and charger unit ,the PNF assumes you have these already.
When seeking 'PNF' versions of other 'E-Flite' and 'Parkzone' models, I found many model shops telling me they are 'stuck' with stock of the versions containing the Tx. Customers just want the RTF plane without the Tx. Well, once you have one you really don't want to buy another do you(?)

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Hi everyone

I fly nitro at a club but i also like to have an electric to fly in the fields that surround our house.... I did have a PZ spitfire until i crashed it last year with a lack of experience.... anyway after alot more training with nitro i brought a SU-26 BNF which to this day still flys well..... although... it doesn't seem to have the ummmff that i was looking for (vertical climbs, sudden drops,holding a knife edge etc) even though it is aerobatic... Can anyone suggest to me an electric plane that i could buy that i could bind to my DX6I, preferably a fast aerobatic model and that is durable

Thanx alot !!

Cheers
Tom