The Dauntless build

Flying from grass I'd rather have the slight extra weight in the ply and GF around the retracts than anywhere else

I'm sure I can save weight in other areas, for instance my flaps/dive breaks are probably half the weight of the original parts/concept.

Graham 

Advert

Wahay, months later and the damn retracts are now in and working.

http://www.rcmf.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/10010/bdrets2.jpg

http://www.rcmf.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/10010/bdrets3.jpg

This pic shows me messing with the angles to get them correct for the axle.

http://www.rcmf.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/10010/bdrets1.jpg

I also needed to space the wheels away from the retract leg (white bit), I'll probably make these from bar stock ally and drill them to match, but for the time being they are made from ?, wait for it.

Toilet hinge rod , £3.15 from homebase, hollow heavy duty nylon rod, just the right diameter for my temp needs.

Lee, these are serious barn doors, dangle them out and watch the results! I've flown some full size aircraft that use spoilers and flaps as air-brakes and have almost left my eyeballs behind!

This masterpiece will be an absolute joy to watch when its finished.

Graham, will the first flight be the aircraft unfinished or will you paint it first?

Doug.

Grahamd, Well what can l say ...except brilliant.I have been away in the US for a month and just picked this up upon my return. I wish l had known about this plan/cnc kit earlier but seeing your build process l think (no l know) it would be just a tad beyond my building expertise.

I first saw the DD about 2 years ago when l was at the Smithsonian Air Museam in Washington DC. What a plane and with a surname of DAUNT...well l knew one day l would have to have one.!!! l started to look a while back and found one supplied by Anglia Models. It is a Complete-a- Pack cnc cut out and plans...but the plans leave a lot to be desired. It tells you how old the plan is when one of the few "tips" says  " it is well worth investing in the purchase of a plastic scale model to see how all the fairings fit and it will only cost you a few shillings ' !!!!!

I do love to build but this one has been a huge challenge for me and in reality l could not do it justice. I have never worked with retracts (and seeing your problems and how you resolved them) both on retracts and dive brakes...l know i have taken the correct decision to keep it simple for me. So....whilst a huge shame l have had to build mine with a fixed undercarriage and  simple flaps. There is not a chance l could have built those working dive brakes ...but it has been an absolute pleasure to read your build and see what you have done. And as to you being a standard balsa basher....l do not think so.

Anyway mine will be in essence a Sport scale look alike....but what the heck this hobby is all about getting the pleasure out of building and flying at your own level. We cannot all have your skills or the likes of Mick Reeves to build a Master Model  and we lesser mortals just have to look on in envy.

l have just about finished all the building and about to start on the covering. It is looking good....well at least it looks like a Dauntless.!!!!

Many thanks for sharing this build with us all,not least all the time to prepare the photo's and description as you progress. Cannot wait for the next installement.......

Best regards,  Geoff Daunt

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Graham, hows things with you? I hope things are starting to get better for you.

I am sure I speak for a lot of people when I say I would like to see you getting stuck back into that fantastic Dauntless. Although I didnt post a lot I was fascinated by the thread. Dont forget, for everyone that posts there are at least another 10 who are just reading with intrest and were all eagerly waiting your return.

Anyway, in your own time with the model, as long as you are well then thats ok. Try and pop a post to let us all know. Take it easy. Al

• 4 months later...

After what seems like an age, I hope I'm going to get back on with the Dauntless in the very near future. I made my first venture into the workshop last night for over 6 months, and it felt nice.

Currently I'm just about to start converting a Black Horse Decathlon from IC to Electric, so at least I'm now back in the building world.

Thanks for all the kind thoughts

Graham