The Mode Survey - what do you fly?

1. Mode 2
2. North West England (Cheshire)
3. North West England (Cheshire)
4. Club instructor(s)

Mode 2 was recommended to me when I took up the hobby (in 1979) as being the dominant mode in this part of the country - it is still the dominant mode in our club, with only about 5 out of 75 members flying Mode 1.

Andy

Advert

Posted by David Wilson 5 on 12/01/2010 17:21:07:
Another question you should have asked is how long the person has been flying, I find that a lot of older (sorry) long time fliers use mode 1 more.

Interesting point David.  One of the earlier posters mentioned he'd learnt mode 1 as it was the predominant mode used at Croydon Airport and Epsom Downs where he learnt.  I wonder if that was a long time ago?  I flew briefly at Croydon in the mid-80s and have flown at Epsom Downs since around 1991 and have met very few mode 1 flyers.

I fly Mode 2
I fly in East Dorset
I learned to fly in East Dorset and Norfolk. Started in 2005
Mainly self taught with help and advice from fellow flyers. Currently reading the BMFA notes on, and practicing for the "A" certificate.
Hope to pass before my 77th birthday. Have had long and sometimes heated discussions regarding the merits of Modes 1 and 2 with an old flying mate of many years. He started with Mode 1 and reeds, I started with Mode 2 and full propo. But he's ten years older than me, so I couldn't possibly be flying the right mode, could I?