The Mode Survey - what do you fly?

Advert

Hi All,

wow! The response rate has definately gone up since the newsletter went out - my email notifications have gone bonkers! But never mind that - thanks to everyone who has taken the trouble to response - keep them coming.

OK - to answer a couple of questions that have arisen:

From Glyn "When will the result come out"
Well I have already done a very preliminary analysis of the first 200 or so responses and that is available here on the forum as the second thread cited in the article. This thread will remain active until 15th jan. I will then take all the data collated upto that point fully analyse it and publish the results here in the forum.

The second thread refered to above is also available for any discussion on this issue. To make the analysis task easier it definately helps if there is no discussion here - just data.

From Timbo: "Some people have posted twice - this will upset the data"
Hopefully not Timbo. I am transfering the data to an Excel spreadsheet as it comes in - the spreadsheet includes the names of respondees so double entries are picked up by Excel - indeed it has spotted one or two - interesting the details are subtly different in some duplicated entries! Unless a second entry contains a clear correction - I am taking the first as the "official" response.

From several: "We should have asked about......" insert your own parameter here!
Ah, yes many of these are good points - but hindsight is a wonderful thing! I still the think the data we are getting is more extensive and better quality than has ever been obtained before on this issue.

Anyway - onward and upward. This is looking set to becoming the definative survey on the subject - thanks to you guys - keep it up! If you have any further questions or comments about the survey please feel free to throw them in on the discussion thread mentioned above.

Thanks again

BEB

Dear BEB,

Firstly I now fly mode 2 (Throtle and rudder left stick) - but I was taught split sticks (throtle and aileron left, rudder and elevator right). I 'self taught' myself into traditional mode 2 as I realised that very few others flew this way and this would allow me to fly other models and other modellers to fly mine.
I fly in north Nottinghamshire (Mansfield & District MFC), but was taught in a farmers field in North Lincolnshire (near Caistor) by a gentleman called Pete Kirkby (I believe he's no longer with us, but he started me on a great and fascinating modelling career which has lasted circa 26 years so far...)
My first experiences were at the Scunthorpe & District MFC way before it became 'official' - we used to fly from playing fields in front of the steel works where a large Mor****ns currently resides. One chap there - Bob (can't remember his surname) started everyone at the time but due to work commitments my learning was slow. I then moved to Hibaldstow airfield with the same crew but with the same problems. Pete was introduced to me by a mutual friend and took me under his wing. I flew from a friendly farmer's field - also a fanatic (many thanks Andrew!) for many years and Andrew kept the strip beautifully. A change of career and location saw me live and fly at Skegness MFC (East Lincolnshire) and now Mansfield MFC. Most of the people around me have flown mode 2 (but as always in this wonderful hobby of ours, there were many unusual ways of doing things, and some great characters!

Good luck with your research - hope you'll be sharing it with us when you've sifted all the responses!

Nick

Hi,
I live in South Devon and I fly mode 2, I taught myself to fly with a free plan the 'Little little ship', equiped with an old AM10 and 27mhz set found in the attic from my younger days!
I now have returned to the hobby after a long break for house renovation, (14 years!), no sense in rushing things I say. I have a fleet of some 20+ aircraft several model boats and a landyacht. My favourite plane is the 1/5 chipmunk, flies on rails and the OS70 sounds beautiful.