Cleaning IC aircraft

Kelly

Advert

For many years for cleaning exhaust residue etc. off models I have used glass/window cleaner, the clear blue or green stuff that comes in a pistol spray, Mr. Muscle or the supermarket's own brand. This can also be used during model construction on bare balsa sheet when bending it, to soften it, it seems to contain the right amount of ammonia to do the job.

• 3 years later...
BABY WIPES. By far the best, does no harm to covering and leaves it looking brand new.
Plus if you have kids at home like me there readily available, the wife just thinks she looses them lol.

I even use them to clean the shiny parts of my engines, works a treat on my 4 strokes just a need a toothbrush for the hard to reach spaces, also use the wifes brush for this lol!. Only kidding.

Has anyone here had a lipo fire under normal, sensible use? I've put models into the ground nose first, dented the lipo and, while it won't ever charge to the same rate again, it didn't catch fire. I also usually charge mine at a lower than recommended rate (so 1.5c rather than 2c, 3c rather than 5c etc). I do wonder about the problems some people have had.

There is one thing I miss in this thread -if you want your plane nice and shiny it is not only important which liquid cleaner you use but also the kind of rag. Make a first go with paper kitchen towel to get the real oily stuff away- but for a second cleaning use a micro fibre cloth. They work really well - and leave a clean surface. You can wash them at 60 deg - may be not with your best shirts - and without any softener. Cheers VA

Edited By Vecchio Austriaco on 16/05/2011 13:09:25