How low is low?

Dusty

Advert

Guys just to clear any false information, media and other with regaurds to this flyby! The extracts I got for reading material at the time were incorrect! Alas the kind and great pilot flying this machine emailed me to set the standards correct! Small world? Thanks Captain:

Here are some details:

1. Three Crew members only on-board (Flight Engineer, First Officer, and myself)

2. Non- Revenue Flight (or non-commercial flight as some prefer)

3. 12,000 KGs of Fuel (2.0 hours endurance)

4. Vref Approach Speed Flaps 40 was 116 Knots (I was flying at 125 Knots)

5. Radio Altimeter 30 feet, allowing for the fact that when we Go-Around and rotate towards +15 degrees the aircraft will get lower (as depicted in the photo, the aircraft is climbing)

6. High Speed Fly Past (which is not shown here), was at the Barbers Pole of 375 KIAS (due to the density altitude at Harare True Air Speed was 400 Kts)

For both air shows I was authorized to display the aircraft as we had planned, briefed, and scrutinized.

I must apologize for the info previously stated by me (referance was from a old mag I had) as it was another a/c that was naughty, bit of a mix up! 

Edited By Dusty on 11/04/2010 17:44:24

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Posted by Steve Hargreaves on 30/03/2010 22:24:27:
Not that low by the standards of some of the pics...its an American pilot after all  but still mighty impressive........

Look in the bottom left hand corner of the clip, just before the F-18 comes into shot, there looks to be another aircraft even lower !

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi All

Basically stumbled onto the thread browsing. Saw the photo of the 707 and thought I'd add this one. This pic is from a mag, but I do have some of my own. Unfortunately as I pushed the button, a spectator stood up in front of me, so the cockpit is blocked by some fat head.
I know the pilot well. I met him when I started flying RC and he was the first in our club to fly a DF model. A BVM F16 in thunderbirds scheme. As mentioned earlier, he was given permission for this flight, not like the pilot of a Air Zim B767 who decided to do the same thing, although not as low and with the gear out. However it was also during a commercial flight with a full compliment of passengers. Needless to say the 767 pilot did get his fingers rapped. There was also a low pass by a DC8 from a local cargo company, but again not as low as this.

Edited By Ant Sisley on 15/09/2011 23:02:01

• 2 years later...