How low is low?

Dusty

Matt that picture rocks!

I had some photos of a DC-8 doing a beatup over a dirt strip in some dodgy place, anyway where the person was standing/lying down taking the photo, one was literaly blured silver (the aircrafts belly). Now I cant find them as per usual as they were in sequence of the DC8 decending...

Advert

Well, no photo on mine- but an added spice because I was in the plane in question.

In the mid 80's I was in the air cadets, and we were offered the chance to "fly in a hercules".  So off a dozen of us went, expecting the usual 2 hours of being sick whilst flying around for no good reason.  But this time was a bit different........

The plane was being run by "special forces".  More than that, I don't know, but after we had been up for 20 minutes we were told to strap ourselves in.  The back of the hercules opened, and soon we were doing very low passes over the runway.  Apparantly it was a training run before the plane and crew went out to Etheopia and made humanitarian food drops.

Last summer the wife and half the world were on the ridge leading to Catbells, in Cumbria.

A Hawk literally appeared from nowhere, climbing up the hill side, rolling as it  climbed to the  inverted, passed overhead in an explosion of sound. For a split second the pilot was clearly visible, before you registered what you saw, it had gone. Now rolling upright as it disappeared towards Bassenthwaite, followed by the diminishing wall of sound.

All followed the jet with their eyes, until it  disappeared presumably over Sale Fell. All turned dumb founded looking at each other, not a word was said. Until a lone voice was heard, "did he do that on purpose?", "I bloody hope so came the reply".

Erfolg

way back in the late 70's i went to a hares garage open day at goodwood airfield, they had a demonstration of the dunlop run flat tyre. i bagged a ride in a 3.5 rover running on four flat tyres. as we got going a pitts special was doing a display, we came round on to the straight and we were doing about seventy when this bright red pitts shot over us taking the roof arial off with his wheel. the pilot dropped the plane down to abou three foot off the ground ten feet in front of us there were four sets of brown trousers in the car which was being driven by one of goodwoods racing school drivers, he was shaking like a leaf when he got out and went to give the pilot a piece of his mind, but the plane did not land and flew off elsewhere

• 4 weeks later...

My first pic was bumf... here is a better pic! Bring it on now

This is on the 06/24 run at Charles Prince Airport, Harare, Zimbabwe... pax were on board either en route to London Gatwick or on the return leg I believe! Smoking was probably still allowed on a.c then too lol... oh the days

Edited By Dusty on 15/03/2010 21:24:18

• 2 weeks later...