For all those WOT4 fans who thought that things couldn't get any worse ;-)

NigelH

Advert

Posted by Andy Freeman on 27/02/2010 18:38:52:
Would you look at the price!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, but when you think about it, it's not bad at all.  An airframe with brushless motor, ESC and servos for £123.  That's about the same price as the Parkzone models (BF109, T-28) of a similar size.

Posted by ken anderson. on 27/02/2010 19:30:53:
what about the other Wot 4 that is winging it's way to us(the wot4 xl)....ie...extra large version...........again avalable via ripmax....it's on pre order now.....

ken anderson...you heard it here first.....

I was quite interested then Ken until I saw the size and the size.  68" still isn't exactly a large plane and at £170 it isn't that cheap.

Innovation and inprovement cannot be stopped; the WOT4 is just getting a 21 century makoever and subtle improvments. IMHO.

Surely this is a good thing, in the world of ARTF keeping the WOT4 design alive can only be done this way. Hopefully it will persude ARTF'ers to then build after their ARTF has crashed.

Don't forget IC engines have improved drastically, servos are digital and 2.4 GHz has proliferated into most clubs - don't tell me you don use any of these and that you fly a 1970's engine, servos, 35Mhz and a proper build WOT4!

Long live the WOT4, and don't forget the venerable Uno-Wot, which i still fly, only its been electrificated

Myron, you're a shining beacon of hope!

Made over for the 21st century - Mmmm, I wonder? Or is it really Chris Foss' retirement fund which is being "made over for the 21st Century"? Of course I support change and development - I'm a research engineer! But its a bit like TV, films, music and too many other things. "Let's not stretch ourselves to come up with something new, let's instead just take a sucessful idea from the past, dress it up a little and pump it out one more time"!

See - I'm not old fashioned - just cynical!

BEB

PS My kit built WOT4 Classic has an Irvine 53 Mk2 and 2.4GHz in it! The servos, sadly, are plain vanilla analogue Futaba 3001's - only cos I don't think my flying ability really justifies digital servos

How is a digital servo a digital servo? analogue servos still take in a digital pulse...
Is it a digital decoder detecting the position or something?

My club now has 3 wot4 ARTFs, they look brilliant, and as a fellow club member proved when he wrapped his round a tree, they are pretty easy to repair! 

Three new WOT4 versions are on the way for 2010....

EPO foamy
Balsa/ply Electric version
Big 1.20 size version

The first two are 90% size, a bit smaller so they'll fly well using a 3S battery. Battery hatch for the balsa version was on the underside just infront of the u/c - that's my favourite. We've pics in our Nuremburg reports in the mag and here online later this week.

Curiously we were told that UK trade buyers were favouring the balsa leccy version while the foamy version seemed to go down better with continental buyers. They'll both be available here of course; It's well timed especially as Multiplex have no 'all new' EPO designs of their own at the moment.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 28/02/2010 07:41:09

None of these Wot4s are like the old kit built one which was from traditional methods and very strong. P.S. Even those can be electrified. But I guess they provide choice and alternatives.

On Digital servos, the difference is in the control circuit inside. Both receive the analogue pulse from the Rx. Both use an analogue pot. Analogue control circuits have the disadvantage that power to the motor is reduced as the servo approaches the desired position, and any slight movement away from "hold" can only be corrected with low power. Digitals measure where the pot is and can then apply full motor power if necessary even for very small movements. Hence the much higher "holding power" and usually higher current drain.

Better get back on topic now, sorry.

I think there is still a place for the old Wot4 among these newcomers. There is great satisfaction to be had from flying a model you have built and covered etc. And you can have it in colours of your choice..  

well i hope it lasts longer then my artf version which i won't replace even if they were free being foam it will depend on what type of foam epp is very resilient were as the multiplex version elopar breaks quite easily my easy glider wing broke in half after a rough landing.
if i wanted a wot 4 again it would be the kit version it will build in not much longer then the artf version and you would know its quality.

Hmm this 68" WOT4 might make a good home for my Turigy SK5065-270kv 1800W motor, I even have the choice of running it on either 8s1p 3700 mAh Lipo or 10s1p 2300 mAh A123, could be better than the heavier Xtra WOT I was eyeing up

At 8.5 lb that would equal an impressive performance at  over 200 W/lb

Still it would break my New Years resolution not to buy any more ARTF after all the undercarriage problems with my EXTRA ARTF

Tom

Edited By Tom Foreman on 28/02/2010 10:31:21