What is your favourite foamy flyer?

Tony Read 2

• 4 weeks later...
Advert

My Sea Fury is sulking at the moment as I'm flying my ST Models Cessna more and more. I did originally have problems with the motor mounts breaking, but found out this was due to the thread lock I was smearing everywhere. It ate the plastic mount resulting in a very wobbly motor! I've now put through about 20 flights with no problems.

It flies very well and can float around on very little throttle. Great for a hot summers evening! Landings are easy, even for someone like me, who up 'till now was only a belly lander. Take-offs and landings are half the fun, up until now I did not know what I was missing!

Delta W, my mate recently bought a ST MX2- he loves it too!

Edited By Tony Read 2 on 28/07/2010 14:02:41

• 4 months later...
As one who was very sceptical with respect foam models.  All seem to fly very well.

My own foam model is Nito PlanesDo. 335, twin motored, flies very well, in spite of me.

I just need to remember that power is needed all the way down to touch down, as there is no glide.

I to am going the GWS AT-6 Texan route as a previous posting. Just need to build it.

• 1 month later...
I'm with Boggy - at the moment for me its the Parkzone Extra 300. I've kept the undercarriage on mine but I know what you mean Boggy. Our strip is no bowling green (thats an understatement!) and so it does have a tendency to "trip over its own feet"! I find it best to dispense with all this taxing and lining up stuff with it - just put it down open the throttle and let the sheer pull of the prop drag it into the air! Not very elegant I know, but a lot less frustrating!

But once you get it in the air you instantly forgive it all its ground handling issues. Its a dream to fly. Very smooth, agile. Its so well behaved and yet aerobatic - a tribute to Mike McConville's design. The same model can be very relaxing, but can also fly all the aeros I want to do really well.

One thing I am curious about. Mine has a funny little "feature". If you do a stall turn - either way, doesn't matter - when it gets to the horizontal position it has a little pause! Then it drops its nose down to complete the move. So at 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock we get this little, but very definite, hesitation. Its so noticeable that someone came up to me after one flight, really impressed, saying how cool the "hesitation stall turns" were and asked me how I did that! I wonder, has anyone else noticed this with there's - Boggy does yours do this? Its very stable in knife edge so I was wondering if this was linked to that.

BEB