Pitts bipe.

Advert

Hi Arron,

I have a Kyosho Pitts Special - quite small, about 50" span.

Plus Points:
1. Excellent quality kit - goes together really well.
2. Very solid build - it will take a lot of knocks.
3. Small enough to go into the back of a car fully rigged - important that, as rigging a biplane everytime you arrive at the patch very quickly looses its appeal!
4. VERY aerobatic and agile - It will do anything - from IMAC style to F3A and knife edges etc.
5. She looks absolutely gorgous in the air! A real beauty.

Negative Points:
1. Its not easy to fly - its has no natural stability whatsoever - you have to fly it 100% of the time.
2. Its quite fast - and you need to be right with it because of negative point number 1
3. Landing is fun if you know exactly how to handle it - but if you have limited experience it would be a nightmare. Basically you have to fly it in under power (about 1/4 throttle) and you have to have the bottle to let it come in what will seem very fast because once you flair and cut the power she's going to slow down like she's run into a vat of treacle! And you don't want the problem outlined in the next point below!
4. The stall is viscous - don't go there without lots of height.
5. The torque reaction on take off is very powerful because she's so short and stubby. A clubmate of mine had one identical to mine and he lost it when she torque swung on take off and he cartwheeled it.
6. The kit is not cheap - but then you get what you pay for and there is a lot of high quality wood in this one.

So, a really fun challenging model. If you have the experience I can heartly recommend it - it will fly really well on 56 four stroke - but for max fun use a 70. But as Martin says - its not for the faint hearted or inexperienced!

BEB

As Myron says, an 80" bipe is a lot of model Arron, you'll be surprised. You sure you want one that big? There are some nice smaller bipes out there.
Leccy or i.c. ?

E-flite's Pitts S-12 is a great flyer, leccy of course. Does it have to be a Pitts? What about Seagull's Christen Eagle, superb scheme although I don't know how well they fly.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 05/11/2010 05:56:30

Well, very much a man after my own heart I love bipes as well.

Tiger Moth - yeap I got one of those too! A Green RC one sold by J.Perkins. Nice model goes together very nicely. Flies OK but there one big issue you need to use lots of co-ordinated rudder in the turns or she just will not "come round"! Mine took a bit of a bash on Sunday last - looks like I had a radio signal loss? But the model is a good 'un. Again 50" span or so and again it fits in the back of the car. Perkins do a large version as well but if you're new to bipes I'd suggest the smaller one for now.

Never had a Panic - but they certainly seem to fly well. Because they're fun-fly/3D'ish they fly slowly very well. Could be a good choice.

IF you are prepared to build how about a WOTs WOT?

BEB

An 80" Pitts whether it's an S2 a Pitts 12 or a Python will require a 100-120cc engine without checking against full size documentation it would be around 35% scale. Personally as my forum name suggests I prefer an Ultimate

Edited By Ultymate on 05/11/2010 22:16:05

Posted by Ultymate on 05/11/2010 22:11:10:
Personally as my forum name suggests I prefer an Ultimate

Edited By Ultymate on 05/11/2010 22:16:05

I've always marvelled at the Ultimate. 

How can such an ugly corruption of the beautiful Pitts Special fly so well?

But as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and each to his own.

Yeah, its funny isn't it. I love the Pitts Special - and I sometimes just fly mine in simple circuits for a few minutes so I can just enjoy the look of it in the air. But I don't really like the Ultimate - despite it being so similar. For me there's something about the fin and rudder on the Ultimate that just doesn't look "right"! And the wings seem to lack the grace of the Pitts.

But as Martin says beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder. Someone once looked at my Pitts and called it a "pug nosed stubby little brute"!(well he didn't quite say that, but I'm not allowed on here to repeat what he actually said!)  

Still it would be a boring world if we all liked the same things.

BEB

I once had a small scaled Pitts S2 moons ago and it flew like a dog, it got aileron reversal on take off and would tip stall at the drop of a hat. Since then I've built several different scale of Ultimates from foam shocky up to my 44% that's in the above photo and all without exception have flown impeccably and without vice. The original 10-100 was as Martin points out a Pitts derivative consisting of replacement wing kit a new cowl and tailfeather modifications. It is rumoured that modeller Bob Godfrey built a model 33% Ultimate first to assist Gordon Price with the development of the full size  
                        I think it's the Ultimates wings that make it fly so well and the large tailfeathers give it amazing rudder authority " viva la difference" as BEB said beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder, I just adore the Ultimate for it's flying qualities and leave you ugly worshippers in the "Pitts" Finally  here's a photo of the full size that my Ultimate is modelled on

Edited By Ultymate on 06/11/2010 08:40:06