Two-stroke fuel.

Doug Ireland

Advert

Doug
No problem. Many moons ago ,I ran out of petrol at sea ,but had a mix in a tin for my seagull outboard motor So i put it in the tank for the Volvo inboard/outboard main motor . Well you would wouldn't you with the Cornish rocks ahead ! Absolutely no problems.5 star petrol if i remember 'cos I was running an E-type at the time (wish I still had but that's another story )
Myron Ah! Pure nostalgia !

Posted by Martin Harris on 08/12/2010 00:00:26:
Petrol definitely goes off (usually within a couple of years) but I'd also be concerned about poisoning the cat - the tin box full of expensive platinum, not the furry thing on the sofa - assuming it has one...

I think my car has two, one for each pipe.

I thought as much but with all the talk of E-types, I did wonder if you meant it was a Mark X - which wouldn't suffer in the least.

For info - from a cat manufacturer's website:

Plugged Or Contaminated.
Plugged or contaminated catalytic converters are caused by using the wrong sort of fuel in your car. Using leaded or lead replacement fuel will plug up the monolith and cause it to stop working. A similar thing will happen if fuel additives are used that are not suitable for use with a catalytic converter.

Oil Fouled
This is caused by oil getting into the exhaust system and contaminating the catalytic converter. The most likely cause is a leaking gasket.

Using old 2 stroke fuel might cause either of these unhealthy conditions although I accept it would be well diluted. Personally, I wouldn't risk it for the sake of a fiver!

Edited By Martin Harris on 08/12/2010 11:10:04

Posted by Simon Chaddock on 07/12/2010 23:35:46:
Doug
Does petrol actually go off?
After all the stuff it is distilled from is millions of years old.

Reminds me (sorry, bit off topic) of when I checked some bottled water that claimed it contained water that had been filtered through rocks for several million years  - mine was within a few months of its use by date - lucky or what?!?!?

Edited By Martin Harris on 08/12/2010 11:16:47