Biggles' Mess

Terence, I notice that you state that you used to work at BSA .Was that around the time that Chris Vincent used to work there? Chris was,of course,a very well-known sidecar racer in the '60's, and used BSA engines in his racers.He won a TT race in,I believe, 1962,although I may have the exact year wrong.He now lives,to the best of my knowledge,near Mallory Park racetrack,where he has a motorcycle dealership.A lad who lives near me was his passenger for a long time,mind you, that 'lad' is now well into his 60's !.................Mal.

Posted by Pete B on 04/01/2011 18:46:02:

The Quick 50 and the Quickly were different machines, Chris - the Q50 resembled a motor cycle and the Quickly was a moped. Unfortunately, I had a Quickly.............I swear that I travelled further on that pedalling the darn thing than I ever did being propelled..........all corker helmet and sweat..........I blush at the memory......

Oh dear, yes...  The NSU Quickly - a most inappropriate name!  Years ago a schoolfriend "acquired" one from somewhere.  This one had seen better days,  and rather a lot of them too!  It was very soon re-christened the NSU Slowly which seemed much more appropriate!  He didn't have it very long,  most days something broke or fell off it.  On one occasion the throttle cable snapped so he attached the remains of the cable to the seat.  Lean back to accellerate,  hmm no...  Lean back to go marginally less slowly, and forwards to go more slowly.

I think my friend's NSU was replaced by an SS50 or FS1E or similar "moped" and the NSU was allowed to continue rusting in peace.

I was at the BSA from mid 63 through to end of 66 then left for a few months and went back on the engine tracks for the Rocket 3 and Trident 3, I stayed until end of 68 I think when the work dropped off and so I left and went to Lucas Electrical.
Someone mentioned a Triumph Tiger Cub earlier? a mate of mine stripped one to the bare bones and fitted it with a 4 pint fuel tank, he made a clamp affair to hold down the cylinder head and fitted a supercharger and used it for sprint races.
A 200cc engine in a bike capable of outrunning a 750 three cylinder! he ran it at Santa Pod a time or two until one day the piston came through the top and exploded, a piece of piston skirt went straight upward under his crash helmet and passed behind his jawbone removing three teeth and came out through his left cheek taking the lobe off his ear.

Edited By Terence Lynock on 05/01/2011 00:19:52

The Pixie was a  'companion' to the Leader and Arrow in that the frame was pressed steel turned out on the biggest press you ever saw left over from the war and capable of up to 1000 tons.
Power was about the same as a couple of Steradent tablets on a warm day, suspension wasnt and the brakes were 'by appointment only'......

I was offered a Leader and an Arrow, dismantled, in 1979 for £100, but couldn't afford it at the time because I'd just PX'ed my Yamaha RS125 for a Wolseley 6/110 Mk2. We'd just found out my wife was pregnant with our first.

I started off with a BSA A10 combo in 1970(in those days you were restricted to a 250 solo or unlimited on 3 wheels) which i eventually split on a tree in Sutton Park in Sutton Coldfield.i turned down the offer of my friends 350 Velo for £35 because i could not afford a new rear chain.
eventually after working at BSA,Triumph Engineering & NVT i bought my Rocket 3 which SWMBO`ed still lets me ride although she will not let me go racing again after a major in the Isle of Man which saw me off work for 10 months and three others deceased

Posted by Big Bandit on 04/01/2011 20:35:11:
Posted by ken anderson. on 04/01/2011 19:33:27:
my first iron horse was a 'triumph tiger cub'......paid £20.00 for it 2nd hand.......not in working cond........walking home with it... i got done by the police for using a bike with no tax and insurance....i pointed out that it was not working and hadn't for 2/3 year's......he said no matter...and i was fined £20.00.......i should point out this was prob well afore a lot of forumites were born.....   

ken anderson....ne...1.   the good old day's/not.....
 Ken, and here's me thinking your an upstanding member of the community except when your falling over. I once tried to teach a mate to bump start one of those things, only each time his bum hit the seat and he dumped the clutch in second, he fell off the other side, gave up in the end and suggested that he reverted back to his push bike. Think he gave up and became a social worker after that, not seen him for years.

Chris. 

i might as well confess also to the fact i got took to court and fined for drinking under age also.......at the time i was 17....now seem's the norm to do it.....  

i was a bit of a reggie/ronnie kray/not.................

ken anderson    ne...1.

Morning all!

Very grey and drizzly here in Liverpool. Talking about court appearences, I was listening to the radio on the way into work and this story comes on about a guy who has been prosecuted for flashing his headlights to warn other motorists of a police "speed trap" ahead. What an increadible waste of public money!

I was thinking, what is the purpose of police speed monitoring? Now we might feel its a revenue building exercise - cynics that we are - but the official line is that it is to promote safer driving by enforcing the speed limit. So, our chap with his headlight flashing was doing just the same. If people slow down does it really matter whether it was the policeman or the citizen that caused the slowing down? No, surely not. So what's the problem?

BEB

PS In case you think he was nicked for "erronious light flashing" or something like that - no! He was prosecuted simply for warning people about the speed trap - unbelievable!

Think of how much money the police could save if they were to puy dummies in mock police cars at speed traps. the public flashing there lights traffic slows and not a paid polieman in sight..
 Some person would knick it tho.

Here in NZ . a  speeding car was pickup and chased today, the motorist took off, the police stopped the chase for saftey reasons, and the speeding car carried on and crashed.at 180 km. per hour. the part thats a shame.is the driver was killed but was only 15 years old. Why do they do it.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 05/01/2011 10:19:48

We don't have to discuss anything Ross.

I am not condoning someone breaking the law, its the sense in the prosecution I am questioning - especially in these straightened times. And so, as it happens, my gripe is not with the police - its with the CPS that brought a prosecution at was, in my opinion, a waste of public funds. A full court case costs thousands - and where is the public good gained from this particular prosecution - there is none, that's my point.

Furthermore - if its all so "cut and dried" as you imply why was a similar case thrown out of court in 2005? Apparently this guy's biggest mistake in his defence in court was not to simply refer to that previous case!

People break the law everyday - I'm not condoning it, far from it - but it happens. Are we going to take every minor infringement all the way to the courts? Its ridiculous. Someone should have exercised some common sense.

BEB

It's quite simple, really, BEB. The man's a buffoon, wasting public money on trying to defend the indefensible. His motive was nothing to do with road safety - he thought he'd be the wise guy and think he could get away with obstructing the police. Many do, he didn't. Tough.  Perhaps he failed the attitude test, too, which is why the decision to prosecute was made.

His actions were no different in law to the person who tries to stop the police arresting someone during a fracas - because they know better.......... 

When you're caught and you are bang to rights, put your hands up - it's less painful.
None of us know all the facts such as why the speed trap was in that location - perhaps it is a particularly dangerous stretch of road, or it was at the time of day when speeding is particularly anti-social, with schoolchildren in the vicinity. Traps aren't placed at random - they are targeted to deal with particular issues, frequently as a result of complaints from the public.

It's quite reassuring that CPS did run this - previous governments have been trying to cut back on the Court system for years, saving money but eroding the quality of life for the law-abiding.

Let's stop messing about with such things as 'ASBO's and fixed penalty tickets for criminal behaviour and provide an adequate number of Courts where offenders can be dealt with properly. If the apologists devoted half their energies to vilifying the bad guys and protecting the weak, the world would be a better place.

Pete 

Around Telford area they have lowered many of the speed limits by ten miles per hour but even though the wife drives at the legal speed limit we still get every third car coming past us much faster, we have been doing 60 and BMW's and the like have come past like we are Bob Burtons dummy.
Yet when these people get nicked all they do is make excuses and complain about 'havnt the police got anything better to do', what they dont realise is that when you start moving in or on a vehicle it becomes a missile, properly controlled it is safe but once at a speed much faster than everybody else it is a liability.
Did anyone see the program last night on traffic police in south Wales? an officer spotted a man driving a Chelsea Tractor and using his fobile moan, the man immediately dropped the phone and drove off with officer in pursuit, officer caught up with him eventually and the man went into high speed reverse and rammed the police car three or four times.
He then drove off fast with a very poorly police car in persuit, as they went up a hill the 4x4 went into reverse shooting backwards down the hill, hit the police car and went up onto the top of it, the officer was lucky to get awaywith his life.

top gear reported that the worst 189 miles of road's(for accident's etc) in the uk only had 3 speed camera's on them....where i live we have 3/4 in the town and surrounding area.......seem's to give credit to the fact they are cash collector's for the gov.......

i rest my case....ken anderson   ne...1.

Guys, clearly I've touched a nerve - which was honestly not my intention. I certainly don't advocate breaking the law and agree that speeding is dangerous and anti-social.

My only point, which I stand by, was that in my view the cost of this prosecution is not in the public interest. The guy plans to appeal -more expense. The "legal expert's" view on the BBC news was that if he cites the 2005 case, which was dismissed, he will probably be aquited and the whole thing will have been for nothing. There must be a better way surely. If needed then change the law - but don't bring a prosecution under a law which has already prooved unsuccessful.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 05/01/2011 12:53:53

You're absolutely right, Ken - and speed cameras have done more to discredit law enforcement in the UK than almost anything else. Once the police got drawn into all this 'Partnership' nonsense and had their strings pulled by local council staff they lost their  discretion in applying the law in a practical way.
I believe Swindon removed all their cameras a while back upon a change of council. I haven't heard anything about the ensuing carnage yet......

Pete