PSSA Gliding Events

Phil Cooke

A quick note about this coming weekends event at Llandudno which is proving difficult weather wise...

As always on the run up to any PSSA event we’ve been closely watching the weather forecasts in an attempt to best prepare or advise participants prior to our travel. This one really hasn’t been easy!

We all know the forecasts are never 100% - that’s all part of this great hobby. But on this occasion the forecasts have been almost unreadable, changing dramatically each time we look with huge variation in both wind direction and strength looking across the 2 or 3 most trusted sites. I’m led to believe this instability is due to 2 weather systems interacting, giving us buoyant, warm air from the South one minute, then cold blasts from the East the next. The weekend winds appear to be swinging from the East, through North to the West with Sunday (as I write) looking the most promising of the two days… but it continues to vary!

Due to the unpredictability and constant change evident, I’m led to a decision where the event will at least be hosted both days (so no proposed cancellation) in the hope that for some portion of each day at least, we will get some flyable conditions. It may well be disjointed and we might have to sit in readiness to pick our moment – remember the only wind direction we cannot fly on the Orme is South East.

We are of course fully aware that many folk travel great distances to fly with us on The Orme – and we understand the costs involved with travelling and staying over in the area. Any decision by individuals to stay at home and wait for better conditions on another weekend would be fully understood based on the forecast, indeed I’ve been contacted by two flyers today stating they reluctantly won’t now be travelling as planned…

For those already booked into hotels and preparing to travel and take part at risk, in the quest for at least some PSS flying over the weekend, I will see you there. Whatever the weather, Saturday nights plans are still all on, with a group meal in ‘The Cottage Loaf’ arranged from 8pm. Do please let me know if you are planning to join us still – I’ve currently booked sufficient seating for 20, if its clear due to weather we are only going to be half that number at best, I can amend my booking to maintain relations with the establishment (as we will no doubt eat there again later in the year!)

So the show goes on in the hope that the forecast variable conditions enable us at least some air time over the 2 days… I’m sure like me, you are keen to get some fresh air with a model in your hands after the long winter lay-off!

Phil Cooke

07772 224719

Edited By Phil Cooke on 05/04/2018 19:39:58

Hi Phil thanks for that update. The forecast is a bit frustrating to say the least!

I was looking forwards to 2 days of PSS fun, plus I was looking forward to some grub at the renowned Cottage Loaf.

I'm going to reserve judgement at the moment and have a look at what the forecast says tomorrow night in the hope there's a change.Otherwise I'll be getting models ready for a trip to South Wales in May...

Hope the weather Gods are kind to you! Unfortunately I will not be able to attend this time, due to family circumstances beyond my control. I'm hoping that things settle soon and that I can get to the Bwlch in May.

Also need to get started on the Hurricane.

Have a great time all.

Ade

For those attending tomorrow the winds (although still fluctuating and varying depending on which site you look at!) do now seem to have an Easterly bias as we commence the weekend - suggesting we will be meeting at the Dry Ski Slope car park (instead of the more usual 'Tank Track' car park - which can be found up through Happy Valley just past the pier.

For anyone that hasn't flown with us there before, we tend to park in the car park to the left (furthest from the club house) then walk up the path behind the buildings, through the 'kissing gate', then up the stone steps - once 'on top' you then head out to the coast on your right.

Well - what can I say!? Our opening event of the 2018 PSSA season didn't quite go to plan and we've been beaten by the weather - chasing what light winds we got all over the Orme! I think we saw breezes from all directions of the compass over a very 'mixed up' weekend and we found ourselves flying quiet electric assist and HLG models on at least 4 of the Orme's favoured slopes.

Alas, the windspeed never grew to anything enabling PSS flight, even the little foam Alpha Jets just couldn't quite get going in the 5mph winds...very frustrating!

That said we amassed a good size group of pilots, partners and families and if nothing else we have all had a good social weekend and a good catch up following the winter break! The meal on Saturday was attended by 26 people - I know a few of us woke with sore heads this morning after what proved to be a most enjoyable evening!

So not all was lost.

A few pictures from today, various locations - no flying shots of course, but some great new models on display!

Andy Meade with his new Dassault Rafale built for PSS from the HET EDF kit.
forum rafale.jpg

Bob Jennings with his superb Me-109 built from the Cambrian Fun Fighter kit - the weathering on this model is something else!

forum 109.jpg

Steve Kemp proudly displaying his new decal set on the Windrider Airbus A380!

forum a380.jpg

Good to see Bob Jennings' Su-27 all repaired and ready to take on the new season - check out the weathering on those jet pipes!

forum flanker.jpg

Alpha Jets patiently await their moment high above the pier on the NE slope.

forum alpha.jpg

A 'Big Thanks' to all who attended in the face of an unreadable, ever changing forecast. Fingers crossed our following events are blessed with a bit more wind from a stable, more prevalent weather system!

Yes sadly the weather could not have been much worse, for Saturday especially. A last minute slight increase of wind speed saw five of us have a nice few hours on the Easterly slope late evening Sunday. Thanks for the company and usual laughs to - from L to R...... Chris Barlow, Bob Jennings, Myself, Mark Kettle, and Steve Kemp on the camera phone 👍🏻

b56087ef-f1f4-4965-8a64-3c9861de9680.jpeg

Yes indeed, really good banter and company all weekend, albeit, I sought my own diversion of 12 hours drinking in Llandudno - can recommend the hostelries and the excellent real ale on tap. The key to mitigating your hangover is put on a lot of weight so the absorption is better.

I have tried but failed to find the picture of the blow up sheep you can buy for £3.00 from a machine at the Town House Pub.

Posted by Tim Mackey on 09/04/2018 00:05:03:

Yes sadly the weather could not have been much worse, for Saturday especially. A last minute slight increase of wind speed saw five of us have a nice few hours on the Easterly slope late evening Sunday. Thanks for the company and usual laughs to - from L to R...... Chris Barlow, Bob Jennings, Myself, Mark Kettle, and Steve Kemp on the camera phone 👍🏻

b56087ef-f1f4-4965-8a64-3c9861de9680.jpeg

Lovely end to a weeks holiday with the family. No PSS flying but Sunday evening pottering around with the Bixler (sloped) with you guys in the setting sun made up for that. Very relaxing and therapeutic.

Shame it didn't work out for PSS flying but still nice to meet up for the banter and an excellent meal Sat night.

• 2 weeks later...

I just thought I would give you some tips as to how to get blind drunk on a PSS weekend instead of talking nurd with the PSS lads

1. Pick a weekend at the Orme when it is misty, raining, and no wind.
  2. Tell everyone you are going to do some tourist touring in Llandudno.
  3. Dodge off to meet two of your old college rugby friends and stay with one of them so that even though the weather is awful it only costs a Sunday fried breakfast.
  4. Drink gallons of real ale at micro brewery hostelries and pretend you are merely interested in sampling the tastes when really you are just out to get hammered.
  5. Don't eat much.
  6. Turn up at the Cottage Loaf about 8pm hammered and talk about sheep contraceptives all night.
  7. Go to watch a band at the Town House for more beer, and find the only blow up sheep machine in the gents.
  8. Get jostled by drunk Welsh ladies.
  9. Have a good baaaaa......

cam00374.jpg

Edited By Peter Garsden on 17/04/2018 20:28:13