Flights around New York parks and monuments

winchweight

Advert

The flight was not done with the approval of the authorities, broke FAA rules in flying in controlled airspace without permission and potentially set the efforts of those trying their very best to ensure that the hobby is not subject to stringent regulation back by years. Rest assure, that video will be aired in the deliberations as to how many, and how tight, the restrictions to be put on small unmanned aircraft are going to be.

The flight was incredibly irresponsible and detrimental to the hobby in general and FPV in particular.

First thing that comes to my mind, never mind the wisdom or legalities, is what a dump, can't understand why anyone would want to visit, let alone live there. It looks like one of the Sci-fi horror movies where every inch of land is covered with concrete.

As for the actions, totally dumb, and lucky nothing went wrong. But not unexpected, or surprised by it, somehow it seems to fit in.

Posted by Simon B on 29/01/2011 10:38:52:
The bit that says 'Arrests: 0', coupled with the rebel vibe of the images suggest this wasn't done with approval.

Posted by Martin Harris on 29/01/2011 11:04:18:
...and everything in sharp focus until the shots that could identify the perpetrators.

Can you imagine anything more likely to focus "official minds" against first party view flying in particular and model aviation in general than the this sort of irresponsible behaviour.

The identity of the pilot - an Austrian who flew to New York just to make that flight in order to "make a point" in an internet argument - is well known, having been widely publicised in the media. There isn't the slightest doubt that the authorities know exactly who he is and in the unlikely event of him trying to fly to the USA again he'd better be ready for some serious probing.

Ignoring the irresponsibility bit, the flights seem to demonstrate the potential for carrying out acts which could threaten life and property.

The potential to over react by authorities seems very real from demonstrations such as of this type.

Although I consider that motorised hang gliders, micro lights and light aircraft have the capability of carrying out more devastating acts, the commercial interests and necessary training requirements willalmost certainly be seen as producing a lower level of threat by authorities, than a FPV model.

Posted by Steve W-O on 30/01/2011 14:17:10:
First thing that comes to my mind, never mind the wisdom or legalities, is what a dump, can't understand why anyone would want to visit, let alone live there. It looks like one of the Sci-fi horror movies where every inch of land is covered with concrete.

Written by a man who has probably never been there....

How can anyone not be impressed by New York?

Did you not marvel at the marble 3 storey entrance lobby of the Empire State? The beauty of Grand Central Station?

Were you not choked by the Steel Workers Union plaque on the Rockefella Building, thanking him personaly for keeping 5,000 men employed during the depression?

Did you not stand outside the Dakota building and gaze across to Strawberry Fields in Central Park? (work it out...)

Did you not spend an afternoon wandering around the Brownstones of Greenwich Village, people watching from an Italian cafe?

As you can probably tell - I loved it.

Been 5 times, and loved every single one ( except the time we were up the twin towers on September 10th, and luckily flew home that same evening!! Terrible terrible emotions from us both the next day, as we sat at home watching the tragic events unfold on screen before our very eyes.
Ive done most of the touristy stuff, heli flight over Manhatten and the Hudson, E State building, MOMA, Liberty Island, been up the liberty statue and walked around her crown ( sadly no longer poss since 9/11). John Lennon memorial gardens in Central park horse and trap tours, etc etc. One particular highlight was an afternoon exploring the wonderful Grand Central Station. Walk over the Brooklyn bridge, take a snack at the pier, Broadway shows in the evening, followed by Chinatown, the list goes on and on.
I thoroughly recommend it to anyone who has a spirit of adventure and can take the yanks as they are - I found 'em terrific, particualrly our hosts on one trip, which were supplied free through the organisation known as the big apple greeters. Truly amazing. ILNY

This clip and others made their way on to Paragliding Forum and there was quite a discussion about the dangers of flying FPV in the company of paragliders (as it could bring one down.)

The 'flyer' (Raphael Pirker) described in detail the electronics, the fail safes etc., and takes a very responsible attitude to safety, etc. He got a lot of positive karma on there for his posts and attitude.

I think it's a pretty interesting clip. Haven't been to NY but wouldn't mind, if someone wants to pay my fare!

Posted by MarkyMarc on 01/02/2011 13:08:17:
Posted by Steve W-O on 30/01/2011 14:17:10:

Written by a man who has probably never been there....

Quite correct, but not relevant as I was commenting on what I saw in the clip. I have no doubt that many people who live there like it, and I wouldn't comment on their feelings about it, only on the clip given.

Places I like in the world probably would look quite terrible to people looking at Youtube clips, especially to people who have never been outside Europe or holiday destinations.

However, I think BEB's comment would be echoed by me if I was to visit, which is extremely unlikely.

However, I think BEB's comment would be echoed by me if I was to visit, which is extremely unlikely.

Lol!

Sounds like people who complain about a TV programme when they haven't watched it.

"If I had seen the programme, I'm sure I would have been offended by it!"

Posted by MarkyMarc on 01/02/2011 16:44:12:

Lol!

Sounds like people who complain about a TV programme when they haven't watched it.

"If I had seen the programme, I'm sure I would have been offended by it!"

I've just seen the clip which makes it look like I wouldn't want to visit, and from what I see on the clip, I would echo BEB's comments if it was like the clip (hence the "think")

I don't see how the TV programme comparison is "like" it at all !

Just to point out again, my comments are based on what I see in the clip!

its got nothing to do with great flying or not what you fail to understand is this! its against the law (the ANO) to do this without full permission of all authorities and the CAA it does not take much for some people in power to just ban things they nothing about and all because some rad dude thinks its fun to fly down the main street and then hits someone!!
witness Spains reaction to something recently!!!
and in the blink of an eye we all loose the ability to do what we all love doing flying!

so to come on here and say what great flying is somehow missing the point!

Come on Lee - take the needle out of your arm!

If you strip away the objections, the legalities - which I know as a responsible flyer you shouldn't - it is a skillful piece of flying in an absolute sense.

and...

As a subscriber and a forum member, I can come on here and say what I want... within the limits of the Code of Conduct. 

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 01/02/2011 17:46:23