A few safety thoughts while slowly recovering after nearly chopping off my thumb.

Bob Moore

Advert

Barrie

The level of concern and all see the very real risk of operating IC engines, particularly the larger sizes, I would hope that the devices you describe start to appear on IC engines at the flying field.

It has also been suggested that remote glow plug connections would improve safety. I again agree that this seems eminently simple to implement at very low cost.

This is also an area that the BMFA could and should be pro-active and strongly recommend the use of the type of device described.

It would be nice to see RCM&E use its influence to promote this type of device also.

For once I see a real opportunity to improve safety in a meaningful way. I know that accidents will still happen with propellers. Yet removing fingers from a danger area, where they are placed in a routine basis at the moment, seems so obvious.

I do recognise that this is not a complete solution, yet very useful.

Yes Erfolg, remote glo-plug connections are a simple, price effective way towards safer engine operation, especially as it obviates the temptation to lean over the prop to disconnect the lead - I've seen it happen on several occasions. When the danger has been pointed out, very often the reply is ' Oh, I've been doing this for years and never had a problem'. Might as well kept my mouth shut.

As we all know, several new engines do have a rear-end throttle control now and some with the needle inclined away from the prop at the front. Apart from some additionel cost I cannot understand why this is considered something new and not the norm. Is there a technical issue here?

We used to have a couple of wall posters in Station Headquarters when I was in the R.A.F. and I think that model propulsion units follow the same sentiment:-

'To err is human. To forgive is not R.A.F. policy'.

Joking aside, two months on my thumb is doing pretty well now. No feeling in the end and it's quite tingly with pins and needles some of the time. The thumb nail is now coming off, though I think there's a new one underneath. There's a load of thick dead skin and scab that's very close to coming off and I suspect underneath it will look a lot better, but I've managed to restrain myself from picking it off! At least it's no longer painful or keeping me awake and I'm able to do some stuff now. A lesson learned the hard way.

Remote glows is the way forward, though I've only had one rear needle engine and I just could not get it to run well.I may have just been unlucky?

You will need to be certain the Workmate is unable to tip or you might be re-acquainting yourself with A&E.

Don't underestimate the pitching force from a reasonably powerful engine so ensure that the rear of the stand is secured - and that you have more than enough room to get round behind it safely before removing the glow or applying throttle (I doubt that you need that warning!)

In addition, ensure that you've got room to jump back if the stand pitches forward despite your precautions. I know you'll be sure it can't move but please leave your escape route free!

Just reading what Barrie has fitted. I am interested in fitting a Remote Needle Assembly to my Irvine 46. looking at Just Engines website they are about £11.00. Are there any disadvantages fitting one? When I was first looking for an engine I was recommended to get a front needle which I did but would prefer a rear one for safety.

thanks

Baz

Thanks for posting the pics of your injuries Bob , perhaps it will persuade a few modellers with a poor attitude to safety to change their ways. I regularly see (usually young) flyers at shows starting very large petrol jobs without even wearing a stout glove. I witnessed an accident when a newbie at our club,who thought he new it all and wouldn't listen to safety advice , put his hand into a reving os 90FS. It broke all of his fingers and thumb and his hand was wired together for weeks. He never came back to the hobby . Sometimes a gruesome picture will drive a message far better than words . Providing we all concentrate when starting and tuning our engines , normal needle valves or glow sticks should'nt be a problem . Us older modellers who started on 1/2cc diesels learnt very quickly that even a small engine can really hurt . Alright , they didn't sever digits but could cause a lot of pain that taught you very quickly to keep away from the prop and the ether sting enforced the lesson espacially during cold weather. Our club now enforce the use of model restraints (or a competent person has to hold the model while starting  this has had a definate effect on safety awareness .
I hope your thumb recovers completely Bob and thanks for having the guts to share your misfortune .
E.D
PS The electric flyers should also take note as electric motors keep on biting !

Posted by Engine Doctor on 30/03/2011 14:07:42:
Our club now enforce the use of model restraints (or a competent person has to hold the model while starting

Select that competent person VERY carefully - one of my clubmates, a hugely experienced modeller, lost the ends of 3 fingers on his left hand when the person holding the tail, who had been a member for a couple of years, simply let go of his Moki 180 equipped 3 Double D after it started. He was reaching to pick up his transmitter (safely out of the way) before standing up to get behind the model and the model taxied past his hand which was resting on his knee with the APC prop slashing his fingertips as it went.

When asked the reasonable question of why the model was released the "holder" wasn't sure and said he was probably thinking about something else!!!

I count myself exceptionally fortunate that 'd just taken off and only heard the incident - by the time I'd got the model back on the ground the reportedly gruesome sight was being bandaged hurriedly.

I have seen several incidents with untethered models. I would never start an untethered IC model. Even a competent assistant is no substitute for a strong mechanical restraint. I use a rope loop around the tail fixed to either a spike in the ground or a clamp on a starting bench. Recently I saw two incidents with electric models one of which did not have the wing fitted so managed to bound around the pits until the prop broke, at this point I picked it up and disconnected the battery. A tether would have prevented this incident. I have a 1400 watt motor for my current project. This is 2 bhp or 1.20 glow equivalent who would adjust a glow model without tether with the engine running. With electrics an armed model is running even though there is no movement.

Posted by Phil Claridge on 31/03/2011 09:10:54:
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 30/03/2011 22:25:13:
I agree Glyn there is no substitute for a mechanical restraint - they don't get distracted!

BEB

can i get one for the wife

I take it she won't be reading this.

Posted by Phil Claridge on 31/03/2011 09:10:54:
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 30/03/2011 22:25:13:
I agree Glyn there is no substitute for a mechanical restraint - they don't get distracted!

BEB

can i get one for the wife

Pretty good exchange I think Phil. I wonder what I can get for mine?

Geoff

Posted by John Muir on 15/03/2011 21:06:23:
Hi Bob,

I hope you don't mind me making a couple of observations. First off, I think your working space is incredibly restricted. From the picture it just doesn't look like you've got enough room to move about safely when the engine's running. Do you really have to run your engine at home? Couldn't you just wait til you get to the field?

Those are exactly the thoughts that immediately occurred to me.