Weather's getting a bit better, how much flying you getting in?

Glen Nevis today was hotter than the TV News said Fort William at 22C was. Due to the double average rainfall I had only been getting a decent top cut done on the grass. Today I got a full decent cut done although the ground was still Squishing. Soaked with sweat, an half hour in the car's Air Conditioning helped.

Then I got some flying in with my "Panic".

It is a long time since I have seen so many Tourists around, the roads are busy, with the main road nose to tail. Partly due to Fort William hosting a big Mountain Bike Competition.

Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 03/06/2011 18:20:32:
Posted by Big Bandit on 03/06/2011 11:21:30:
My flying mates off to Wales tomorrow lucky devil, said he would take a trip to the Big Rock on Sunday to see what was going on.

Chris.

This Sunday - Should be a few locals around, but the forecast is for the less popular ENE slope - and next Sunday we have the second of the seasons PSSA meets.
If he wants more info etc, PM me and Ill give you my mobile number.

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 03/06/2011 18:21:34

Hi Tim,

I think he'll be over there this Sunday, he's staying in a mates caravan nearby, I'm sure he will introduce himself, I'll get a full report when he gets back next week. I know he was looking forward to it.

Chris.

The weather's been up and down like a yo-yo here. My Dad arrived from Barnstaple last Saturday for a week and brought Barnstaple weather with him....

Anyway, the rain is much-needed, that's for sure. Some calm evenings earlier this week saw the Piper Cub and Tiger Moth flying, with a greaser of a landing from the Tiggie - very satisfying! Went down to Terry's club on Wednesday to try out the newly-extended 100m runway.

Ridiculously windy and perishingly cold, with my bare knees slowly locking up - Terry had only his Elektro Junior in flying order and decided sensible people didn't fly but I hadn't gone that far to leave the 'planes in the car! Out came the Phoenix Rainbow and an entertaining ten minutes was spent in horizontal slope-soaring, ie penetrating the air without making much forward process and either tacking or doing some very fast downwind runs!

I normally use flaperons on the Rainbow but it wasn't necessary or advisable as I finally managed a nice rolling landing, consuming just the last metre of the runway - must try out the other 99m sometime..........

Today saw some nice conditions, despite a crosswind and the Druine Akrobat and DHC Beaver got some exercise, followed at sunset by a couple of flights of the Sea Fury.

Pete

We had gusty wind, 15-20mph on occassion. In itsself flyable - but being slightly south of easterly (very unusual for this part of the world) its a crosswind - so that seriously added to the challenge! Not that we refused to "pick up the gauntlet" But it did make for some excitement on finals. "Give it a bootful" was the the common advice.

BEB

. Not a day for flying the foamies.

A foamy 3D Extra was my plane of choice today - and usually is in conditions that most people won't risk "proper" models.

Although the wing loading is somewhere on the low side of an anorexic butterfly's, the extremely fast responses and bouncability more than make up for their cork in a bottle tendencies...

they are in portugal for 2 weeks so its this sunday and next im out yessssssssssssssss,pss next asda for brekky il bring me check book,oh yes just come back from the site wind a bit lacking,paulhad his easy glider and i flew my new 60 so watch out big boy its back

I know Tony! We have Warbirds day on Sunday and the weather isn't improving i hope theres a dramatic change in weather by next weekend!

After years of poor weather, at last a Sunday arrived without a gale or so much rain I rush into the garden to finish of my Ark.

I almost had a good day flying, that is until I decided to bunt my glider, as I was getting a bit bored. The model bunts so well, I could not resist another. Only this time the model sort of squirreled out remaining inverted. A few skilled waggles of the sticks, had the model still inverted, quite stable, time to think. Humm, must be a autostable condition, try a few more wiggles, nothing. Open the throttle, nothing. Close the the throttle nothing. Wiggle the sticks with vigor, nothing. The model remained stable, inverted and fast gliding.

Where will it land? On a road, to be run over by a car? No the next field, with the herd of cows.

Now the model landed, narrowly missing the rear end of a cow, none seemed interested. I now was walking to gain access to field. That is until a cow, which must have been at the other end of the field, sauntered over. In doing so brought its posy with it.

I was now sprinting, faster than Hugeen Bolt, this could well be a world record. I no longer could see the cows due to hedge and my preparations to vault a gate. I entered the field with tremendous presence. That means fear. As a child, I remember being pinned against the wall of my aunties barn, by a cows nose, as it stretched its head out of its stall. But I had learn t, you must show no fear, be dominant in actions, to be something which the cows are wary of, not curious about, but not immediately threatening. Easy said, not easy to enact by a coward.

Non the less I strode purposely to the group of cows, one of which was caressing the model with its very large tongue. The model was completely intact, except on wing tip which was lying near by. The cows all reacted by dominant, fearless presence by retreating. The retreat unfortunately did involve standing on the model. Now cows may have big feet, but then again, they are big animals, so the damage done was somewhat akin to a woman's high heel shoe with minute heel area, does to a wooden floor. It does a lot of damage.

I scooped up the bits, rather quickly, as one cows interest was focused on me. I clapped in a panicky manner, going, Weoha, away with thee, ye cloven hooved beast.

On reaching my car, I had composed myself to decide to disconnect the battery, on opening the hatch, to find none.

A quick search of the crash site confirmed a increasing idea, that the battery had come out during my impressive bunts, and explained all that followed.

Edited By Erfolg on 07/06/2011 14:30:36

Posted by Erfolg on 07/06/2011 14:30:02:
After years of poor weather, at last a Sunday arrived without a gale or so much rain I rush into the garden to finish of my Ark.

I scooped up the bits, rather quickly, as one cows interest was focused on me. I clapped in a panicky manner, going, Weoha, away with thee, ye cloven hooved beast.

On reaching my car, I had composed myself to decide to disconnect the battery, on opening the hatch, to find none.

Edited By Erfolg on 07/06/2011 14:30:36

Erflog,

What a hero , many years ago, I remember stopping in a local field to eat my lunch when I worked on the East Midlands Gas Board., finishing my sandwiches and tea. I went for a walk for 5 minutes. returning to the van, I noticed a heard of cows around the van. They had their heads through the open window that I had forgotten to close. After shoeing them off, I couldn't find the job cards for the afternoon. It took a lot of explaining the next morning .

Chris.

chris-fellow 'gas man'...i used to work for northen gas as it was originally called...for 30 years.....off to the hills today with the rest of the HTP.......watch out for the usual tongue in the cheek report...of any antics etc....(its enrico's special treat today) .....

ken anderson ne..1.

Posted by ken anderson. on 09/06/2011 07:54:28:
chris-fellow 'gas man'...i used to work for northen gas as it was originally called...for 30 years.....off to the hills today with the rest of the HTP.......watch out for the usual tongue in the cheek report...of any antics etc....(its enrico's special treat today) .....

ken anderson ne..1.

You've read Leferves manual of gas fitting then Ken , not done any fitting for years, I tend to ring old mates when I want a new boiler or gas fire fitting.

Wish I could drive off to the hills, the trouble we have around here is that we don't have any usable ones. last Sunday I looked at the site that Tim posted, and tried to find Honey Hill, fat chance, the sat nav threw a wobbler, and it cost me £130 for a new one. I've still not found Honey Hill.

The week before we had a lull in the winds, drove off to the local park before they got back to none flyable levels, and got nabbed by the local Parky, It appears that there is a blanket ban on flying in local parks, but no notices, BMFA knew nothing about it, neither did the person Who works for parks and open spaces that I rang. But me and my old gas fitting mate got nabbed anyway.

Geriatric Hooligan, Chris.