What Glue DO You Use

Advert

I use all the above as I perceive the appliability.

Just a few extra words, I intend using long life cyno in future, although ordinary cyno is a good substitute for Zap a dap a doo, when it is almost off, ie has thickened.

From time to time I use Polyurethane adhesive, it is gap filling, water proof, sticks to almost anything. But does need moisture to iniate the cure. There are to many brands to mention, some slightly different.

I also use contact adhesives ie Evo-Stick, since it has gone water based, not as strong, but does not attack foam.

If I have it, or have need for it, does influence what I use. 

PVA is the must have!

Regards

Erfolg

Gorrilla glue and Zap a Dap a Doo sound interesting,what should I use for open frame construction?

Also I have just bought a Carl Goldberg Super Tote flight box,where they recommend using Super Jet glue,but rather than applying glue to one end,and then clamping together,they recommend holding the 2 parts together with tape then gluing along the side of the joint,a bit like welding.So does the glue then soak up into the joint by capillary action,and would this be a good join.

Its a mix for me (not mixed together)-

PVA (Tend to use the water proof stuff) for most wood / foam

Epoxy - not a great fan of the 5 min stuff, tend to use 24hr Araldite

Plethora of cyanos from super thin to thick slow cure and of course kicker

Recently started using the foaming polyurethane glues in place of white, can give a nice fillet if careful.

Can of 3m 77 (have skinned wings with this), evostick for doublers.

A glue I use to use but havn'e seenit in years is cascamite (or some similar sounding name) it was a water soluble powder, that dried ad hard as epoxy.

A

Epoxy is great stuff and superstrong.I used it all the time,carefully,but still became sensitised to it ie I developed a skin rash on my hands.Now I use a lot of PVA,very cheap and non toxic,but you need to make good joints especially on Old Timers.I recommend latex gloves for epoxy.

I use Resin W PVA, various grades of Cyano + Kicker and NHP epoxy in various set times depending on the task. I use NHP because it comes in big easy to use bottles. I keep stocks  of  epoxy and cyano in the fridge so that it will keep for longer without going off.

I would like to try some of these expanding glues but I have not come across tham in the shops around here.

I have used "Cascamite" in the past with mixed results when I have added the suggested amount of water I was unable to get a smooth past. You can still get it but it is called "Extramite".

Bruce 

Hi Folks..

What about the aliphatic Resin Wood Glue.  Is it any good for model aircraft building?

An ebay website I have looked at is:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/StarLoc-Five-Star-Adhesives-FMK_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZQ2d999QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Has anyone used this site for buying glues?

I'm trying to work out where I should use certain glues over others.  i.e when glueing wood on wood when should I use Epoxy over normal wood glues etc.

Regards

Declan

I thought Alipatic glues are a PVA, but more brittle and harder.

I have not seen the Alipatic glues outside of a model shop, who are the brand names, that can be purchased on the "high street" (for those of us without a local model shop).

I also use cyno, but do not like the smell, nor the mess it makes of my fingers if I get some on me (which seems to happen to frequently). Also tends to be brittle.

Regards

Erfolg

The choice of glues depends on what is being stuck together, but I usually have supply of 30 Minute epoxy, Aliphatic Resin, Evo-Stick contact adhesive.  Plus, cyano from the Pound Shop.... (sometimes up to ten bottles of 10 grams for 99p). 

For gap-filling, I either mix some sawdust with the Aliphatic and rub it it nto the gap, or fill the gap with sawdust and then flood it with cyano.

B.C.

On the subject of gap filling, you may find this useful if you have not already tried it. Mix up some fairing compound, (Fibre-Tech) with a little Halfords polyester resin to a very thick paste then take about 1/2 teaspoon and mix with about 3-4mm of hardener. This makes a very useful filler which is super light and can be carved/sanded up to the time it sets like concrete. It was once available commercially. Keep the rest in an airtight container for future use.

I have always glued one side only,then pushed together,then taped or clamped.

My Super Tote Flight box manual recommends doing it the other way around ,tape the parts together first, then applying a fillet of glue from the inside using Super Jet CA,which I can`t find in this country,only the USA.

Which CA would be ideal for this?

Titebond original is Alphatic glue and can be bought from many places just google it for a list.

I use

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pricing=INC&pf_id=22581&filter_cat=&manufacturer_id=Titebond&name=&user_search=&sfile=1&jump=4&cid=GPS8PY1W7LGCKBLSFXXX42IWS2BY4IG6

or

http://www.modelfixings.co.uk/adhesives.htm

Modelfixings is one of the most useful  sites I have found. Be careful or you will spens far more than you expected on this site.