Fournier plan error - July Issue 2011

Roger Bird

I received my RCM&E this morning and as usuall pulled the plan out for a quick once over. A Founier RF-4, great, typical Peter Miller fuselage an excellent model and a straight forward build. Turn the plan over and ....... the same fuselage plan. Has anyone else had this problem?

Advert

I just realised im signed to RCM&W not RCM&E is it the same company?? :L

Tom

Posted by David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 03/06/2011 07:50:50:
Not impossible Steve, far from it.

Right, I'll have news on what we're doing in a few hours.

No, not impossible, but very difficult.

It looks like it was printed on offset, which would mean changing plates between sides, or putting the front and reverse side plate on two heads, and the operator would take a pull and check against the proof before completing the run.

The photo-lithographer (don't know what you call them here) or computer plate maker operator, would also have noticed if asked to make two plates the same when one was backing the other. (probably played out directly from computer, not made in a dark room any more )

It would normally be checked before despatch, and the person doing the folding would most likely have noticed (people in a print shop have a habit of checking things as they get to them)

People often say "printing error", but that goes back to the days of newsprint and Letterpress, now the printers print what they get.

If the print shop did mess up, it would be considered a very major mistake by any reputable printer.