Engine choice for flair puppeteer

Steven Butler

Hi

I have just ventured into the world of biplanes with a nice flair pup. Obviously it needs a 4 stroke and the flair website recommends a 50 - 60 size. I do however have a lovely laser 70 sitting on the bench. Do you guys think this would be a suitable choice or a little too much for the airframe.

Advice gratefully received

Steve

Advert

Hi Steve

I would definitely use the lazer and probably go for as large a prop as pos with not a huge amount of pitch. I see the lazer weighs in roughly 100 grm over an sc52 but I'm sure that could be dealt with in the placing of the radio.

Cheers
Stew

Posted by oldSmithy on 15/06/2011 11:39:42:
I see the lazer weighs in roughly 100 grm over an sc52 but I'm sure that could be dealt with in the placing of the radio.

Cheers
Stew

The extra weight will actually be helpful - most Pups are flying round with half a church roof under the cowl

BEB

• 3 months later...
  • 5 years later...

it will be more than man enough power wise but the firewall will need to move back significantly. Not that it is difficult to do. You will also need to baffle the lower cowl to stop the engine overheating.

Nice model though, i was taught to fly on a flair pup

I think we have all called the Puppeteer a Pup, and of course you are quite correct its a bit of a cartoon scale in truth. I actually always thought it was much closer in proportion to the Sopwith Strutter and could be easily adapted with the additional centre strut, moving the cockpit forward and adding the rear gunner as well. Would make a great little project actually if I ever come across a kit. Great flying model on anything from 52 to 70 4stroke. Personally I would go for the 70 size for the bonus useable added weight in the right place. Linds