Panther Trainer Autogyro

Richard Harris

Malcolm she is looking good.

I did a different idea. I tapped the M4 threads in the aluminium undercarriage rather than captive nuts in the wood..

Then I used plastic screws via the battery compartment into the ali.

My rudder servo is located inside the tail via the cockpit. Just remove the cover to get access.

Hope this helps

Regards

Andy

Edited By Andy Nash on 26/02/2013 22:02:03

Advert

Posted by Gary Wright on 26/02/2013 19:12:51:

Can anybody recommend the power set up and where to buy from ( battery, esc, motor, prop, spinner,prop adapter etc.)

Also, I have bought some of the bearings for the rotor head. Had to buy a pack of 10. If any body wants to buy a few (at cost price + postage) just let me know.

Question for Malcom. In the photo above, it looks like you have fitted tail wheel. Could you please share the details?

Gary

This is my set up:

Motor

Speed Controller  (I use these for 80% 0f my models)

LiPo:  (I always use high output C rate as lower C rate gives less air time)

Prop: (or APC electric balanced prop)

From this set up I get 45 amps on full throttle ( which I rarely use even on take off) stooging around on half throttle I get flight times of around 8 to 10 minutes depending on ambient temperature, running down to about 10% to 15% capapcity. Also the model balanced out perfectly with no extra weight.

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 27/02/2013 13:05:12

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 27/02/2013 16:31:19

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 27/02/2013 16:35:56

Posted by Richard Elliot on 26/02/2013 20:51:13:

Personally I'd be looking for an ASP or OS 52 four stroke.....but i think I may be flogging a dead horse!!devilsmiley. Seriously though....it would be nice to see a few more ic examples, but select your engine before you build your cowl!!

Malcolm, thats a nice build....super jobyes

Hi Richard (both Richards),

I'm about half-way through the build of mine,and I'm fitting an ................................SC 52 four-stroke.......................................Mal.

p.s. I'm also building the rotor head from the pdf download,a bit fiddley, but quite simple...................

Edited By mal brewer on 27/02/2013 11:10:31

José,

I see no reason why the centre of the mast couldn't be made from lite ply, if it were me I would certainly add lightening holes though. Remember the core has to be 6mm as this sets the gap for the female part of the pitch hinge.

Mal,

I think the hardest part with the home made spindle is getting everything spinning true. A lathe makes this so much easier but a simple mandrel can be made from a bolt and it spun in a pllar drill. It would be alot easier if these parts were cnc cut (hint hint)

Rich

Posted by Richard Harris on 27/02/2013 12:46:2

Mal,

I think the hardest part with the home made spindle is getting everything spinning true. A lathe makes this so much easier but a simple mandrel can be made from a bolt and it spun in a pllar drill. It would be alot easier if these parts were cnc cut (hint hint)

Rich

Hi Rich,

yes,that is exactly what I did. Not having a lathe,I used my pillar drill,hopefully it will balance out ok.........................................Mal

I have decided to have a go at building the panther as this will by the first autogyro I've built and hopfully fly. I am going to power it with a O.S 48 four stroke. When I placed the engine on the plan, the nose will have to be longer than shown. If I extend the nose will the CofG stay in the same place as per the plan or would it be best to move F1 to accomidate the engine?

Posted by Richard Harris on 27/02/2013 16:36:30:

This motor will do the job aswell MOTOR , swinging a 12 -13" prop on a 4s 3000mah set up with a 60-80 amp esc.

Rich

rich,

Thats good to know as thats the one I have (although it came in Black rather than Red). The only problem I came across with it was that it has a blanking plate that needs to be removed to fix on the prop adaptor, the screws used only went into the body about 1 turn, so I had to order some M2.5x8 Countersunk head from ebay.

Malcolm

Hi Tim good to see more chaps building. You will like this one, she flies very well. smiley

Don't move F1/F2 just make the cowling to match your engine. I used a 2Ltr coke bottle rather than balsa. Sprayed inside with silver (model car body spray stuff) and she looks like aluminium! cheeky

Regards

Andy

Edited By Andy Nash on 27/02/2013 20:38:56

Posted by Malcolm on 27/02/2013 18:27:45:
Posted by Richard Harris on 27/02/2013 16:36:30:

This motor will do the job aswell MOTOR , swinging a 12 -13" prop on a 4s 3000mah set up with a 60-80 amp esc.

Rich

rich,

Thats good to know as thats the one I have (although it came in Black rather than Red). The only problem I came across with it was that it has a blanking plate that needs to be removed to fix on the prop adaptor, the screws used only went into the body about 1 turn, so I had to order some M2.5x8 Countersunk head from ebay.

Malcolm

I found that the prop adapter on this motor is very soft and easily bent (remember my Humpback)?

As far as I know you cannot buy a spare for it.

When I see other peoples models and their quality of work I am so impressed.

I particularly like Keons battery support and the confidence to make the necessary changes.

My own efforts inch forward, not the giant strides that others are making, nor is the quality of workmanship in the same category, being lower.

Keon,

Nice idea regarding the battery traysmile and neat work too.

Carl,

'My own efforts inch forward, not the giant strides that others are making, nor is the quality of workmanship in the same category, being lower'

That is of course your opinion, I think you are doing an equally good job as everyone else and I am sure many others will agree with me.

Rich

Robert,

Although it is not mentioned on the plan, the article in the magazine on P70 "Creating the Cowl" calls for 2 degrees of right thrust, which would mean offsetting the enging mount to the left by about 4mm so the motor shatf exits centally (you may need to calc exact offset depending on your engine length etc)

Rich,

Appologies for butting in and answering a question directed at you - but you should be working at this time of day! lol

Malcolm

Hi Tim

Thanks for your kind words. The covering helps to hide stuff! smiley

Robert

I used a piece of rubber behind the engine mount to reduce the noise, but also I can tighten the right side engine mount screws to give me more or less the correct right thrust I needed. wink 2

Yes Bill I am with you, Koen that build looks so crisp. thumbs up

Regards

Andy

Edited By Andy Nash on 28/02/2013 20:54:45