More firewood for sale?

John Privett

Advert

You lot really do not know what your talking about.This is a genuine example of true scale perfection.The model is obviously based on a world war aircraft thats been shot at a bit and has a certain amount of weathering.Please gents appreciate the time and skill that someone has put into this model Am I the only one who can see pure genius at work.If I had the room I wouldnt bid,it wont go through our noise test anyway,but I do have a large electric motor set up,now how about a sound system

VINTAGE PETROL ENGINED SOPWITH BI-PLANE MODEL. For sale is this wonderful replica of a Great War Sopwith Camel fighter plane. It is constructed from wood and very fragile fabric/canvas. It has a petrol / alcohol engine, it has steering linkages running inside the fusilage to elevator controls. Would suit an enthusiast as it is in need of various repairs and a new canvas.Unfortunately she is showing the signs of neglect due to many years laying around in an attic. Would make a super example for the right person with the right skills. I will NOT sell the engine seperately as I owe it to the craftsmanship of the builder to keep this in one piece. Due to the fragile nature pick up only, unless you want to arrange

I LOVE the wording, guy has a gift for the theatrical, but seriously, its a restoration job of an old classic, sand the tissue off, recover, and you have a classic that is hard to find, much work, but could be a labour of love for someone, me? i would burn it

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 19/07/2011 23:37:47:
Stephen - I think you have it there mate! Trouble is I want one that looks like its going on a sortie - not coming back from an ambush!

BEB
ah, well mine looks like it's going on a sortie, but the groundcrew haven't had chance to repair the previous days damage!
All the one t'bay needs is a good coat of Solartex, or maybe litespan.
And a bit of soldering on the U/C.
And some struts making up.
And the wing tips repairing
And the rear fuselage repairing

Gone for £36 - anyone on here? I think I've still got photocopies of the plan somewhere.

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 20/07/2011 12:28:47:
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 19/07/2011 23:37:47:
Stephen - I think you have it there mate! Trouble is I want one that looks like its going on a sortie - not coming back from an ambush!

BEB
ah, well mine looks like it's going on a sortie, but the groundcrew haven't had chance to repair the previous days damage!
All the one t'bay needs is a good coat of Solartex, or maybe litespan.
And a bit of soldering on the U/C.
And some struts making up.
And the wing tips repairing
And the rear fuselage repairing

Gone for £36 - anyone on here? I think I've still got photocopies of the plan somewhere.

Hmm, and add to that repairs list any (many?) other repairs not visible to the camera...

And £36? No, it certainly wasn't me!

I think we are a bit harsh on some of these sellers.

We forget that the (traditional) modelling skills many of us show are completely alien to others- and so look very impressive to the layman. This is often the case even for something very ordinary to us. The best example I can give is my fascination for watching people draw- something I just cannot seem to do.

So if someone (a non flier) acquires one of these models they do not see it in the same way we do. They see the time, skill and effort that went into building it, and think it is valued because of that. We all know that an unbuilt kit often sells for more than a finished one- something that confuses me, but must not even enter the head of a non flier. Perhaps we should look on these planes as a testiment to our skill and patience, that there is an assumed value because of our work, and an assumed rarity that the skills displayed cannot be common.

Interesting point Andy. I suspect that we too see the skill and time that went into the original construction. However we also see the aspects that the layman probably doesn't notice - the amount of reconstruction that would be necessary to bring it back to flying. But how much work is very difficult to evaluate from the pics, so we probably tend to assume the worst! The layman meanwhile, still has his rose-tinted spectacles on.

And as for people who can draw things - I find that fascinating too. I can't draw a thing! It's a totally alien skill to me. Yet I used to work with somebody who drew the most amazing caricatures - he did a weekly cartoon strip roughly based on things that had happened in the office during the week. We were all completely recognisable, I just wish I'd kept a copy of one of them.

Hi Dave,

I don't see anything wrong with that Helicopter, a new top blade and a new canopy and the Helicopter will be good as new. I would say that it is a bargain.

Tom