Grumman Goose

For some reason I though I had a blog for this design but till Vinnie posted on another link I had forgotten, anyway here are a couple of pics of my own designed Grumman Goose, 60inch wing span for twin electric 300 watt motors wich proved to be rather excessive. Construction is all balsa ply and film covered with the hull being epoxy laminate coated to make it waterproof.

Little bit different and good fun and quite a challenge to get the design right to fly off water which proved to be quite an experience and far more technical that I had just blindly assumed, those high mounted engine thrust lines also had a few technical challenges that needed to be overcome but the end result was very pleasing.
Lindsay

Advert

• 2 years later...

Hi. This is a great model, I’ve been waiting for the plans for this one to be published for years. I think you first put up some photos of the build in your Zulu thread. If they’re not going to be published by the mag is there any way I/we could get a copy, a larger version would be too big for me.

Nev.

Thanks Guy's, Graham was initially very enthusiastic but we did suffer a few issues, I put the design on hold with him as we suffered what turned out to be a corroded elevator push rod through flying off salt water and not cleaning properly and with other things in the chain I guess it just fell by the wayside. It could be ressurected I guess as this version was always destined for RCM&E. Linds

I too remember the TV program fondly and loved this plane. I wanted to build one as soon as I saw your build photos and the flying shots. I’m sure I remember a flying vid from off the beach as well, it looked to fly superbly well. I didn’t realise you had any problems with it.

I suppose you don’t have the same enthusiasm going back and resurrecting a project once you’ve moved on. Maybe fettling this one will get the juices going for the larger version, not thinking about myself here at all you understand but if you want any encouragement, I’d love to hear of any progress.

Nev.

The plans for the hew version are slowy being done when I take a break from other projects, not so bad as a completely new design as it is largely a scaling issue although I have changed the structure in some areas. The next will be 76" span and will probably be powered by two 400watt motors. As for enthusiasm well that has never been lacking for this aircraft as this will be my third version, the original was powered by two .25 i/c motors back in the early eighties, alas did not handle too well with one engine!

Here is a further tatser though why I have a new version planned.

grumman goose rcm&e 06.jpg

grumman goose rcm&e 11.jpg

grumman goose rcm&e 13.jpg

grumman goose rcm&e 20.jpg

She does look good if I say so myself. Linds

Edited By Lindsay Todd on 02/08/2013 21:59:45

Hi Linds,

If the 60ins Goose is revived,then maybe the mag could do it as a freebie,then the larger one as a feature plan,back to back in same issue then perhaps the mag could be sold as a waterplane special,with history of the goose and waterplanes as a whole.....what do you think?

Steve A SE 22 Heres hoping in the Goose Plans Dept!!smile pcheeky

Great model. I've always wanted to see a Goose in model form.
This one belongs to a family friend over in Ireland.(Sorry it seems I'm unable to post the images. See my "Misc." album)
I photographed it when it flew into Duxford a few years ago.
The cockpit interior is something to behold, all leather and Art Deco instruments.
Your photos look really evocative of the full size aircraft. Come on RCME, publish the plans!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...