A mid-air with the missus!

Tim Hooper

Advert

Thanks guys!

I've always maintained that mid-airs are nobodies fault - sort of a 'racing incident' really.

Still you'd be amazed at the damage a 400watt, 11x7 prop can to to the cabin area of a converted free flight model! The Pix-E will be rebuilt as soon as possible.

tim

Going off on a bit of a tangent here... (but David started it! ) but I wonder if anyone on here was involved in, or knows anyone who was involved in, the filming of one of the earlier Toyota ads that had an r/c plane being crashed? I believe it was shot at Wormwood Scrubs in London.

John have you got a link to that? I know the woman that was in the Skoda Cake advert that stood at the front in the end, LOL .
I wouldn't mind seeing that Toyota ad if anyone has got it

Tom

Thank you Martin
 I remember that ad now. When was that??

Tom 

Edited By Tom is RC mad! on 27/07/2011 23:56:21

one of the best i've seen was a friend flying a delta with a west 50 up front. he was flying at a great rate of knots to say the least, and we decided not to fly till he had landed. another flyer came on to the patch with a little electric foamy and started to fly, we advised him to wait awhile but he said i will fly when i like. he launched his foamy and flew up and down the runway. we forgot to tell graham that another model was flying and he had his hands full concentrating on the delta. as graham came out of a huge loop he came along the flight line full belt, the west 50 on full song. the little foamy sauntered straight into his flight path. the foamy died in a shower of snow and the delta carried on. the other modeller never said a word picked up what was left and went. graham landed and said what the hell did i hit he had'nt seen the foamy till he hit it

Good stories and responses, guys!

There's a school of thought that holds that if you want to minmise the chance of a mid-air then you should fly the two models directly head-on to each other, whereas flying the same circuit (and flying alongside each other) is the worst thing you can do.

Hmmmm...........

tim

my first midair was a head on. both props chewed through the wing leading edge of each plane both models were ic. looking at the damage it appeared to be less than three ins away from being spinner to spinner. my model a arc jupiter was written off the blackhorse twister survived major surgery and recovered to fly again.
second one was on the 17 07 11 at our barbeque and electric fly in. the weather was not kind to us with strong winds and vicious showers. my mate decided to fly a foamy electric eglder type and he was flying backwards most of the time. but i thought if he can fly that i can fly my pz trojan. so i took off in about two feet as the wind got under the wings and she shot up at a great rate of knots as i tried to hang on to her and turned in to the circuit rogers plane backed into me and down came both of themthey both came down faily gently and landed less than four inches apart. my model had a chip out of the left leading edge, rogers brokle part of the right wing and lost his canopy. he was'nt happy with my explanation that he reversed into me but thats life

• 7 months later...