What do you do for a JOB... ???

Cyclicscooby

Advert

Hi All,

Started out like Ken as a gas fitter with the local gas board, but soon moved on the private sector as a heating engineer just because it payed better. After getting bored with pipe strangling I moved into education for a short break which lasted 28 1/2 years. 15/12 of those years were spent as a senior lab tech in building physics, then moved into estates management for the same organization, but still missed the lab.

Now I'm a semi retired principal officer in local government coordinating the Asbestos team activities within the authority. It's a job I really enjoy because I started it from the ground up, but now only working three days a week gives me time for building and flying models. And as they pay me a good bit more for working three days a week than they did for working full time I can afford more models.

Chris.

I think most peeps on here ARE engineers of one type or another Erfolg..
I was an electronics engineer, as are the peeps doing avionics and the like..
OK I've never built a bridge, so i'm not an engineer in that respect, but the title still stands for most of the replies I reckon..

I was one of the ones that 'dissappeared' after the HNC... I wasn't good enuf for Uni...

Luv
Chrisie.. xx

Cyclicalscoobydoo
Me too after my HNC & a 5 year apprenticeship at RR AeroDivision in Derby & service engineer on Avons/Tynes/Conways/Speys military& civil/RB all marks.I went full time musician .Loads of flying time ,inbetween doing just about every job I chose to do as well (It's one long story).Now retired,with 38 acres of land to fly on with bedrooms full of aeroplanes.I've offered it to the peeps talking of centre for aero modelling for FREE ---no response.
Myron

Cyclicscooby

I thought I included electrical and electronics as engineering, and the list was not to be complete but indicative of engineering

I just feel there are less engineers than I expected. Although not said I would include many of the creative arts such as painters into the scope of those expected.

Not being an engineer of whatever type is not an issue for me. I was more pondering what type of personality and outlooks on life that aeromodelling appeals to.

I had supposed that many engineers would be drawn to modelling on a basis that you set the definition of success and failure. Mistakes are not potentially career limiting. You can build and design what you want without any real restraints. This is from a personal perspective, but had thought many others may have similar drivers. Yet I did feel there is possible linkage between a hobby and occupation. Seems not.

No offense was meant to any one.

I'm to young to work so (14 nearly 15 just staring GCSE's).....

Dream job = Hobby store owner (but steadily fading as it seems like it is a near impossible task)

Reality = To join the RAF as a fast jet pilot or flying assault helicopters (Apache.....) and then after serving in the RAF going onto becoming an airline pilot. (i would quite like to go straight into flying commercial but it seems to expensive). I'm a twin brother so my brother has this crazy idea of him and me starting our own airline business (also needs alot,alot,alot of cash) but could T&M airways or Theobald airlines be appearing (i'm not convinced)? But i but ever happens i'll be sticking with the model plane flying. :P

Tom

REALLY????!!!!! I always thought it belonged to the RAF. This is why i'm into planes, do i not learn anything at Air cadets . I fail at helicopters Thank you for telling me . I'll be sticking to planes. (plane modelling/plane flying)

Tom, if you have aspirations to become an Airline pilot then take a look at this BA are doing a Future Pilot Program which might be worth a look if you are considering it as a career

Thanx for the link James, I will have a look at that .

Aged 17, always aimed for RAF, Jet Pilot, shot down on grounds of eyesight and MOD cuts - No Pun intended - Was absolutely no way they were going to get me in

So rethink prompted Army and now aiming for HouseHold Cavalry, and if all goes to plan, I should be starting Phase one October 16th Penultimate interview next Wednesday!

Haven't been bitten by the "Building Bug" yet, and a very keen 'leccy flyer However, whilst working on the fieldwork side of a Horse Riding stables, and using strimmers, tractors, mowers, am slowly coming round to the Petrol side as i am leaning how they work! But Can't see much point in getting any more models this year if i've only got a few months left

Paddy

Blimey Tom, if only I had your aspirations when I was your age....
If I could do any job, it'd be Heli pilot or Traffic Cop (dont laugh) but i'm too old for the forces, and too skint to get a PPL, but enuf about my regrets, if I were you, i'd go for it..

Start looking now, at what you'll need, so you can aim for the qualifications required..

Best of...

Luv
Chrisie.. xx

God... I feel old typing this..

Edited By Cyclicscooby on 19/08/2011 21:20:28

Paddy,

I know where you are comming from, its a tough game to get into and not the easy route anymore! However you have age on your side and light is at the end of the tunnel if you are switched on and work hard then go for it! PM me I can give you a lot of info etc as I am serving!

Cheers

Id love to have a go at traffic policing it seems so much fun Chrisie, i wanted to be a police officer until i experience aviation which completely WOWd me and I have been hooked on planes ever since, its never to late to follow your dreams (quoted by my Dad, LOL). I have contacted the careers office and spoken to a few people that are in the RAF or have served in the RAF (spoken to them through cadets). I will be looking at commercial in more depth as soon as I can and see if I can talk to anyone in person too. Fingers crossed that my eye site stays OK but i get migraines every 6 months, i had one yesterday when in Paris (arrived home about 4hours ago) so i'm hoping I can cure this or slow it down by every 1 year or so otherwise there is a chance of not being excepted.

Anyway enough of my rambling chit chat...

Good luck with your interview Paddy, doesn't flying the C-130 interest you?

Tom

Six years with REME Telecommunications ,Then a stint with Granada TV followed by a post as applications and sales engineer with Smiths industries Lab inst div.
Later joined a company designing ATE equipment ,Then a change into the motor business followed by a more interesting period designing and producing single seat biplanes.Another change into plant nursery ownership ,nice and relaxing after the rough and tumble of the full size aviation business ,but at the same time I was working nights as a city club DJ.Then as old age approached my DJ activities went full time in to the ballroom and rock-n roll sector which was, and still is great fun.
So other than two or three gigs or dance nights per week the only thing that stops me flying is me, or really bad weather.