A National Aeromodelling Centre

Posted by kc on 17/08/2011 12:01:30:
Andy Symons. I am objecting on principle to the BMFA funding a site which is centralised and therefore of no use to the majority of members. If you want to do it yourself then go ahead but dont risk the BMFA funds. We need a solvent BMFA and not one that provides a deluxe flying site for the elite.

But the question isn't suggesting the BMFA fund it.

I assume you would be quite happy for there to be a National aeromodelling centre as long as its self sufficient?

Advert

Funny Flyer YOU are so correct.....
Elfolg, I am not privy to how the business plan was put forward, all I see is the fiance summary, Statewise"" is "posted " every month and every 3 months Nat.wise, what i can see is that 2 of the local clubs, this year have taken out loans, oblivesly it works anyway
A.A. Barry

what we dont want is a national center that is funded by us the members that we never get to use, i would much rather have the money go into purchasing sites across the UK that are dedicated to flying model aircraft, this way many more of the members would be able to use it, than if it was just one center of excellence presumably in London

But who else would fund such a project if not the BMFA? The Government? yourself? RCME?  some billionaire Russian?, some Arab? Get real, you know you are talking about spending BMFA funds!
If you want to do it with your own funds Andy then I am quite happy. Perhaps your best bet would be try to get the loan of one of the Olympic site buildings for a museum after next year.

Edited By kc on 17/08/2011 12:42:32

@Lee
Agreed - but don't strangle the dream just yet. Think of it as a centre of excellence that compliments all the local flying sites. Look at the success of the indoor site at Silverstone. Also, many of the fixed site "Learn to Fly" schools seem to be making a go of it. It would be good to have just one site that is aspirational with superb facilities

one site that hardly any of use can use, no sorry not with my money, if the BMFA is interested in securing the future of model flying then they have to more interested in securing facilities across the uk in which to do it, not just one centre for a small minority

i would much rather see the money spent purchasing flat fields and slopes accross the UK that no one could take off us

Funny Flyer

All the people identified were/are very ambitious, with vision, with acute business sense.

Not one a dreamer. They all knew what they wanted to achieve, with a plan to get there. Most were/are, very ruthless, belying an often laid back image.

To get this site, someone along the same lines is needed. Just as important the the succession plan. As I guess the reason at least one previous project has failed, is that there was no one or organisation to take over. I think Apple have had the same issue, getting Jobs out of retirement?

Lee 

I think your vision has far more merit. I guess those Aussies, can teach us a thing or two. First came cricket, where we learnt and now flying fields?

Edited By Erfolg on 17/08/2011 12:42:11

Lee,

I 100% agree with your concept of more than 1 site- I believe I described them as "regional centres" in my initial response to the thread.

But:

1) There is no need for the BMFA admin to be replicated at each of these sites.

2) We need to start that process by buying 1 site.

Hence my suggestion we buy a single site that houses the BMFA (+ others?) then once that is financially established the revenue that this site will bring in (or the continuing modest levy) is used to purchase other sites spread across the country. Calling the first one a national headquartwers or some such name is simply a label- it's what is done with it that counts.

Posted by Lee Smalley on 17/08/2011 12:21:17:
what we dont want is a national center that is funded by us the members that we never get to use, i would much rather have the money go into purchasing sites across the UK that are dedicated to flying model aircraft, this way many more of the members would be able to use it, than if it was just one center of excellence presumably in London
Regional sites dotted around the country would be brilliant, you have to start with one though, add to that the fact that the current BMFA offices have been pretty much outgrown and their is an ever growing archive of plans, publications, models and engines etc that it would be a shame to lose, btw the are those within the BMFA actively looking for museums to take some of the archive (it's not proving easy) So what is wrong with making the first of the regional sites a national aeromodelling centre where the archive can be kept, the BMFA offices sited and has an attached site that can be used for various model flying activities? Extra regional sites could be added over time.

I do think your presumption that a national centre would be in London is wrong, I would presume the one place it certainly wouldn't be is London and the South East, land prices alone would make it a non starter.

Yes of course you have to start at one site but I would suspect that after that one site was acquired and the people in the bmfa were haPpy they had the site they wanted that you would see precious little movement in acquiring other sites! where the site is located is irrelevant it would still only serve a small minority in that location, save the money on a museum that no one will go to and spend it on sites across the uk that is securely ours to fly models on for all time surely that is a better legacy than a dusty museum

I agree Martin. I think its been ainteresting thread but has run its course as far as it can. I suppose the conclusion from the vote would be that approximately 60% of participants would like to see such a centre.

I've deliberately not stated my own view - but will do so now. Personally I think such a centre would be good for the hobby. I think it would increase our profile and would help central government and, perhaps importantly, local government to take us a bit more seriously. I think it would provide a "home" or a base for us. Somewhere that is seen as the "Mecca" of aeromodelling. It would also be a valuable resource.

I'm personally not as pessimistic as some. I too hold to the argument that we owe it to the future of our hobby to be bold. To lay firm and confident foundations for the future. As has been pointed out if we'd done this 20 years ago we'd be in a much stronger position today - with a major asset. If we try and it fails - well sell the asset - we'd recoup most if not all of the investment and might even make a profit.

I am particularly excited by Andy Watson's suggestion of building a regional network of such centres, building on the collateral of the first.

I also think that bringing in other R/C hobbies on the venture could be a very exciting and positive development.

So, I voted "yes". Because the question asked me if a wanted such a centre and I do. But like many others I am accutely aware of the potential for such schemes to run over budget and fail to deliver. So I wish the BMFA well with the feasibility study, I urge them to do a thorough job. I hope they might even pick up on one or two of the ideas on here (who knows). And I look forward with interest to examining any proposal which might result. But such a proposal must be fully developed and costed and contain a full risk and cost/benefit analysis if it is to be the basis for an informed decision by the membership.

Two things which I do think are important; firstly, given the magnitude of this decision, and the scale of importance it represents, I would very much urge BMFA to submit any firm proposal to the vote by the whole membership as individuals - not representative democracy via council. Something of this importance needs the whole association to have its say - one member, one vote.

Secondly, I would hope that following the outcome of such a vote - whichever way it went - all members would agree to be bound by that vote and get behind the decision whatever it is. That way we go forward together - either with, or without, the centre.

BEB

Yes, I agree, run it's course. That is except location.

I suspect that the centre of the UK is somewhere near Bury Lancashire.

If England only, then Cannock Chase?

But then there is Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland.

So it should be located near Bury, then regional centres come later!!!!!!!!!!

If it were to become our Mecca, would we be required to go barefoot and in sack cloth?

Edited By Erfolg on 17/08/2011 15:25:40

I note that BEB looks forward to examining the proposal.

I expect that BEB has in mind, a comprehensive document, and any underpinning and supporting documents? I also understand implicitly, that BEB expects that these documents are available for examination by all members.

Accomplishing all of BEB aspirations can be achieved at virtually zero cost via the BMFA web site.

If my interpretation of BEB's thoughts, it is not intentioned. Although they would be my own.

Erfolg, yes that is exactly what I have in mind.

If the decision of the feasibility study is that a full proposal should be developed then I believe that full proposal - and all details - should be made available, as say PDF, on the BMFA website so that any member can examine it prior to a full membership vote. Anything less than the full proposal would be unacceptable - as any form of precis or summary would inevitably be open to accusations of presenting an "edited truth" even though such may not be the intention or even the fact.

Summaries of the proposal could also be made available by those campaigning for, or against, the idea and could be developed by those who wish. But the full document should still be available for those who wish to examine it for themselves.

BEB

I think a huge National Modeling museum should be built in London next to the National history/science museums! Outside a huge 100ft statue about the hobby. Then get the Government to fund it! Hmm... wish that could happen but i think a museum or something along that line would be good , it would definitely become one of the most interesting museums i have ever been in.