A National Aeromodelling Centre

My goodness what a bunch of nay sayers, I believe the question was would you like to see a national aeromodelling centre not flying site nor how should we fund it.

If the answer to said question was yes the next should be what format should it take do you want an all encompassing site such as the one in the US ( Muncie ) or just a building somewhere that could house the BMFA and support a museum where people such as David Boddington could be honored.

A national flying site would be a great bonus ( I wish we had one here in Canada ) Muncie in the US is huge, about 1000 acres and is a great site ( ask your national team that has just returned from the worlds ) but a 1000 acres in England would be tough to find but not impossible and those of you who say it would be to far to travel it is nowhere near the the travel that AA Barry would have to travel or the flyers and spectators in the US that took the 5 1/2 hour flight from Florida to Muncie to watch the worlds.

Yes I know I do not live in the UK anymore and do not know what the travelling is like but I am sure if Alex Whitaker can make the trek from Wales to Lincs once in a while others could travel to a National site now and again, remember this would not be a site you would expect to travel to on a regular basis for a quick flight fix but a site that could host national and international events and maybe have ( as in Barry's WA ) a number of host clubs to use and maintain it.

Just my nickel's worth.

To try and fail is OK. To not even try does not bear thought.

• 3 weeks later...
No not a good idea at all.As someone has already said those of us out in the "sticks" would pay for something that they would get very little out of. Why would anyone want a museum? Books and magazines keep us informed about the past and we only buy them if we want them. Yes it's the SMAE OR BMFA looking to empire build, the few wanting to become immortal at our expence and what an expence it would be, staff wages for a start would cost a fortune, knowledgable people dont come cheap!
Vote "no" to conserve your dough.

I have just read through the responses to this thread (very quickly admittedly) .I did mention on page one about the land here where I now live . Having been a life long modeller ,I /we would just love to be remembered for something & that something would be a free for all site/museum/whatever .The talk of fees/money/costs is not what I/we are offering .There is loads of room for all disciplines of model flying (38 acres) there is also a registered small campsite and lovely spring water & scenery. I feel quite upset that no-one has even mentioned or responded to our offer .There are no noise probs no nasty neighbours etc.(on the contrary & just negotiating use of the cricket field 200 yards up the road )just peace ,tranquillity & even a trout fishing river to boot .Kids love it too walking in the woods .What more can I say ? Forget costs etc .We're not interested .I've even got 14 different A./C that peeps could fly all ready to go .All musicians welcome as well !
What more can we say ?
We charge campers £2 a night by the way if it gives you an idea as to what we're all about . Why you might ask -'cos we like the lovely people that come here .We've rejected joining the camping club pressurisation to provide facilities for peeps that want somewhere quiet & peaceful .It would simply ruin it .
Myron

I think it would be a great idea to have a focal point for model flying. Collectively, we all share an interest, loosely united by the BMFA, but necessarily fragmented by the nature of our club structure. A national centre of excellence would be a great venue for training examiners to recognised standards, running training courses in airframe construction, engine technology, electronics etc, and for at least one major annual show. It would make sense for it to be in the English Midlands, with access from the M1 and M6 though, no doubt, the Scots and Welsh will want their devolved equivalents.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

i have several items stashed away, in the folorn hope that we may some time get a national model museum, nearest we got to it was the excellant Goosedale, sadly long gone, our national body should at least TRY to do something to get the history of our hobby recorded, what do you think? in america, as you will see in the link above, the AMA have got it sorted, why havnt we?

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Admin on 11/02/2012 06:25:56

Sounds good , who's going to pay for it ? and where ever it is located it's going to be too far away for most of those that would use it , If it became a center for such things as national competitions , and such events that would be good and I would probably attend them ,I would go to see a museum .

I really think a museum would be a great idea to encourage more people (young and older) to join the hobby. I'm not sure how you'll get the funding but if you could then this would be a great idea! Something like the size of the Aviation through the ages section on the ground floor of the science museum. Not to big not to small

Edited By Tom T on 11/02/2012 00:12:20

It may be that funding could be raised once it's up and running by holding a computer data base and reference library to do with all aspects of modeling ,such as line drawings of full size aircraft and model plans that are difficult to get because they are out of date ect . and charging a fee to access the data base. Just a thought

Posted by Simon Chaddock on 10/02/2012 22:43:44:
Well it was going in 1947.
In 1947 those prices were pretty steep, more than the average farm labourers weekly wage!
It appears these two fields in the centre were the airfield, not the car boot site on the other side of the road.
I believe it closed in 1951.

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 10/02/2012 22:45:01

They used to hold the boot sales in the larger of the 2 fields by the lorry depot - before I got back into model flying and realised it was the Modeldrome I remember thinking it would make a decent flying field!

I think you'll find that the princely sums mentioned were the prize money on offer...

Edited By Martin Harris on 11/02/2012 02:19:21

Quote: 'Why does everything have to be in England?' Daithi O Buitigh

Couldn't agree more. When England is sandwiched between Scotland and Wales and lies just off the coast of Northern Ireland, and has only 82% of the population of the UK, it would make much more sense to have a centre of excellence in somewhere like the Shetland Islands - so much cheaper and more convenient to get to!

Edited By Hellcat on 15/02/2012 17:43:00

i dont want a national centre, just a museum, i would hope that this kind of thing could be accomadated in an existing full size national museum, perhaps one that we entertain the public at, say cosford?

has anyone seen my AMA link further back? the americans have done our hobby a great service, shame we cannot follow suit

• 10 months later...

Aeromodeling is great fun for the people who want to enjoy at the best outdoor.Its having a great .Its a dream of every human to fly and reach the sky; either in terms of glory or literally. This aspiration to be in the wind and above all gives thrill and when you cant do so, you resort to objects and make them fly.Aeromodeling makes it possible.

Regards.

Andy

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 08/01/2013 08:44:42