A National Aeromodelling Centre

We might like to have it but we know it is not practical!
If the BMFA spend money on it we will all be debited with the cost through our subs which are really mandatory. We have to belong to the BMFA because it's compulsory at most clubs. (Clubs have to be 100 percent BMFA members ) Also it's about the only source for insurance.
Hence we have to pay whatever subs the BMFA charge. We dont want the BMFA to waste money on something permanant which is certain to get closed (eventually) due to noise problems. Better to have low subs and let clubs rent their own fields and move on if it becomes necessary.

Posted by A.A. Barry on 16/08/2011 11:11:56:
WE, in Western Australia, a state of Aus. have a state site, which, currently supports 7 clubs, for those, who don't know Aus is made up of 7 states, and every state has it's own major site, there are many clubs who have there own, but fing flying sites, close to one's home is getting hard to find, so hence the 7 clubs on one site, I find it rather strange that UK dosnt have one, UK fits 13 times into W.A
my thoughts
A.A.Barry

Barry,

This post reminds me of the Australian sheep farmer who was visiting his family over here on their farm in Devon and spent the day telling his great uncle and anyone who'd listen how wonderful his farm was and how much better everything was in Oz.

As he was just about to leave he said to the old farmer, You know Sport, where i come from I can get in my ute, drive all day and still be on my land at teatime."

"Oh aaarr " said the old boy, " We had an old car like that when Oi were a lad!"

(Actually, when I heard this it was a Texan but it's more fun to make him from Down Under!)

More seriously, perhaps you could help with the debate by supplying some info about your set-up?

What do you use the site for?
How often is it used?
How far is it from a major population centre (in terms of time and distance)?
How many of the regular users travel from further afield than this?

Although we're geographically challenged compared to your wide open spaces, travelling anywhere is y time consuming due to the population density...the impression that I have is that land is relatively inexpensive and plentiful in Oz - what would 100 acres (40 hectares) cost over in your part of the world?

Martin, just to make a point, I really was not trying to pervae that impression, mearly pointing out that with the amount of members in the Uk and the size, I felt that a national site would have been installed yrs ago, sorry if it came across that way
To answer your Q's
The several club sites are only used for flying, the State centre is also the same except it comprises of all facets of our hobby, planes, heli's and cars. some clubs have strict rules as to eng sizes and noise output, one and it is siutated in an less populated area, they bought this land 25yrs ago, 50acres now worth 12 times the amount...
The State Centre is part of a recreational site only, it was deemed that way by the State government,12/yrs ago, for all purposes, horses, shooting, bikes and other sporting bodies, it is huge , most of the land is still covered in trees.
Populated area's are about 5 to 10 Kms ( 2 to 7miles) away,close by is farm land
Most club sites and the State Centre are used every day, by someone. if they are members
If a Nat site was bought, if in 25yrs you had to move on, surely the benifits of those yrs would be worth it, and let's not forget the increase in value during that time,...... perhaps a unused old areodrome???????
WE also are getting pushed further afield
My points
Thanks
A.A. Barry

Edited By A.A. Barry on 16/08/2011 15:52:15

Now there's a thought - what about not just a national R/C flying centre - but a national R/C centre.

It could incorporate a number of car tracks and a lake for the boat people. The advantages would be a marked increase in "clout", and in numbers of constituants.

Of course the downside would be that if trying to get agreement within the BMFA would be challenging it would be even more complex with the governing bodies for R/C cars and boats involved as well!

BEB

The point made by Flight-fan cuts to a major issue. It is that of the future finance, if it is to be funded via the membership. I strongly suspect that at best the membership, has plateaued or is reducing.

Although our club is BMFA affiliated, it is driven by a large section of the club, being active competition FF modellers who find the BMFA membership useful. In earlier times only a small fraction were BMFA members, insurance coming via an independent source. I suspect that pushing up BMFA fees higher, will have pressure, to seek alternative insurance and make BMFA membership voluntary again.

I would expect those in far flung parts of England, such as Edinburgh (what! It is in Scotland) could have grounds to find the idea unattractive, if they have to fund the pleasures of the soft, cash rich, overprivileged South.

I do not know how the Barton CL site is funded or managed, although very small, it seems to work. Maybe some of the ideas on renting out most of the necessary land for RC could work, as have been suggested!

By and large I am totally against the idea.

Mainly because I would want to see a proposal. It would contain the objective, both short and long term. The scope, how it could be delivered, a comprehensive financial break down of both acquisition, construction, and future running expenses.

Above all I want a champion of the concept who would do the above, because they believe totally in the idea, and have the self drive to produce the proposal, raise funds and have the drive to both sell and deliver the idea to us, as a reality.

Who is it?

Vague wishful thinking, will takes down the road to purgatory and financial insolvency.

AA Barry,
the situation in Australia doesn't bear any resemblance to UK.

For example 75% of the population of WA live in Perth & about 90% within about 40 miles of the state capital. The cost of travelling by road, parking facilities, access roads to a site, camping facilities & weather predictability are all completely different.

Most other states have similar, though not as pronounced, population distribution as WA whereas the UK population is much more evenly spread

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 16/08/2011 15:57:12:
Now there's a thought - what about not just a national R/C flying centre - but a national R/C centre.

It could incorporate a number of car tracks and a lake for the boat people. The advantages would be a marked increase in "clout", and in numbers of constituants.

Of course the downside would be that if trying to get agreement within the BMFA would be challenging it would be even more complex with the governing bodies for R/C cars and boats involved as well!

BEB
I thought this thread was about a National Aeromodelling Centre not an R/C flying centre ?

The first national centre at Eaton Bray was for all types of models.

All I was exploring Pat was given a lot of folks have pointed out our relatively small numbers to create a national centre just for aeromodelling would it in any way ease their fears if there was a larger constituancy involved i.e. the whole R/C hobby scene. Just a thought - no different from lots of other suggestions that have been made.

Bear in mind - I haven't expressed a view one way or the other yet! Although I have voted

BEB

Two thoughts occur to me.

First.

Just after the war, when people were not so noise obessed and there was a far greater degree of tolerance for others, there was a place called Eaton Bray that was supposed to be the great modelling centre. IT was quite near to London so had a great catchment area.

Anyone care to tell us what happened to that?

Second thought.

Due to the apparent policies of those doling out lottery money I suspect that the only way we might get some is of the BMFA made the £1 surcharge and paid for 30,000 entries in the national lottery.

(in passing, I would love to see the shopkeepers face when someone asked for thirty thousand Lucky Dips please!!!)

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 16/08/2011 19:28:26:

Bear in mind - I haven't expressed a view one way or the other yet! Although I have voted

BEB

Whereas I think my opinion is quite clear but I haven't bothered to vote.

A.A. Barry said " vote them out" Well we might if the BMFA were a democratic organisation with one vote per member. I have never had the chance to vote at a BMFA AGM in my 27 years membership! Only club delegates can vote. And clubs are prevented from organising a concerted effort to suggest anything or to oppose the BMFA officials ideas in advance. ( they stop the clubs obtaining the list of other clubs secretaries addresses and therefore communicating ) Most small clubs cannot really afford the expenses of sending a delegate to an expensive hotel venue so many dont go unless they are local to the venue.
The reality is if the existing BMFA bigwigs want this as an ego trip we will have it and if they dont, then we wont. We have the same chance of voting for or against this as we have voting for who will be the next King!

Posted by A.A. Barry on 16/08/2011 15:50:26:
Martin, just to make a point, I really was not trying to pervae that impression, mearly pointing out that with the amount of members in the Uk and the size, I felt that a national site would have been installed yrs ago, sorry if it came across that way

Not really Barry - thinking how small and cramped we are brought the old joke to mind!

Most of us are probably very jealous of the wide open spaces you enjoy - we have a population density of 400ish per square kilometre against 2 for WA - although I do realise that a lot of it is barely populated at all which makes the contrast a bit less.

Mind you, when you do get a bit of sunshine and some space between the built up areas many parts are very green and plasant indeed! However, it's probably difficult for someone from abroad to appreciate how rare it is to find a bit of space large enough and with tolerent enough neighbours to accomodate an active site as envisaged by the supporters of a national site. There again, you may have spent some time here in your youth as so many of your countrymen do so I may be telling you what you already know!

Posted by kc on 16/08/2011 19:50:04:
A.A. Barry said " vote them out" Well we might if the BMFA were a democratic organisation with one vote per member. I have never had the chance to vote at a BMFA AGM in my 27 years membership! Only club delegates can vote. And clubs are prevented from organising a concerted effort to suggest anything or to oppose the BMFA officials ideas in advance. ( they stop the clubs obtaining the list of other clubs secretaries addresses and therefore communicating ) Most small clubs cannot really afford the expenses of sending a delegate to an expensive hotel venue so many dont go unless they are local to the venue.
The reality is if the existing BMFA bigwigs want this as an ego trip we will have it and if they dont, then we wont. We have the same chance of voting for or against this as we have voting for who will be the next King!

I'm a former BMFA area secretary & that's no a true summary on how the voting system works.

What happened to the idea of individual postal votes - has it been dropped? If it has, no doubt it would have been through lack of interest - very few people responded to the last one in my club and I believe nationally. The reality is that a few people take an active part in the BMFA (2 of my clubmates travel from Luton to Leicester at their own expense regularly) and no doubt people's reasons range from the altruistic to the self-promoting (I'd put my clubmates in the first category!) but the majority of us are happy to let them get on with it and just have the occasional moan at how useless the organisation is - so it's really the silent majority (of which I'm one) who are to blame - not the "bigwigs".

Edited By Martin Harris on 16/08/2011 20:11:49

Sorry KC, ( i'm going to be very blunt here) that is almost entirely nonsense, the Officers of the BMFA are elected one man one vote, have been for about 5 years now. Voting forms go out with the BMFA news. Officials are not voted on at the AGM. As to the expensive hotel bit, you don't actually have to pay the hotel anything to attend the AGM. As to stopping club secretaries getting details of other club secretaries, it was never a problem for me as a club secretary, what I suspect they will not do is send a full list of them all out, but then again the BMFA didn't write the data protection laws.

I will repeat what I said earlier, the suggestion that a feasibility study was carried out came from the floor at last years AGM (I know, I was there) it was not suggested or pushed forward by any of your so called bigwigs.

Edited By Andy Symons on 16/08/2011 20:18:29