2012 Vintage Mass Build - What are you building?

Steve W-O

Advert

• 4 weeks later...
Drake 2 from 1952 Ken Willard plan
Almost completed - see here

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi guys im building an ABC Robin from an old Aero modler plan it used to be rubber powered but im putting a OS10 in it and building it with ailarons, dont now why but i just like the shape and its only small ,so i can keep it in the car and fly it when i get a chance

Edited By mick pemberton on 06/10/2012 07:59:06

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Gamine, Vic Smeed Electric 36" version also got a KK/Flair Junior 60 (72" FS 40 power, a David Boddington kit ?and another DB Plan all halfed baked appart from gamine templates all made most parts cut and ready to start building soon 5/12 I think looks good.

Why Gamine well was going to be KK Ajax but the plan I have is crude to say the least (needs a redraw)...

So a Big thanks To Jim ta mate

• 3 years later...

Seriously thinking about this but converted to electric

Mercury Marauder

The Mercury Marauder.

Still like its 'diamond' fuselage!

My brother built one 62 years ago and I still have the plan and most of the wings.

It needed quite a bit of nose weight - about the same as a modest brushless. wink 2

Also intended to carry ballast in the fuselage under the wing - about the same as a reasonable size LIPo.wink 2

But would it manage acceptable control with such a tiny fin/rudder or be better with small ailerons instead?

Hi, the tiny rudder will be fine with that amount of dihedral, use no more than about 20deg movement either way. Also , if you are using an elevator, consider extending a tapered ply dihedral brace out at least 2 rib bays, maybe adding an extra spar and webs to the inner panels, you will be stressing the wing much more than intended even at the same flying weight. A small motor, battery, RX and servos shouldn't weigh much more than the original rubber/prop combination anyway, so should make a great flying model. You should only need 20-30W of power and aim for a CG much further forward than the FF position.

Best of luck, hope this helps

• 6 months later...

First complete a Veron Mini-Concord from E-bay and include the wings from my kit purchased from Heset Model Supplies bought when the shop closed in 1976. The wings were left by someone who broke into my garage and took the fuselage plus a number of other modelling items including the box from my DC Merlin powered Southern Junior Models 'Southern Dragon' another plane I have been thinking about building since I lost the original plane in 1962.

CAP Devils Duster.

I had the above delta in the mid eighties, now long gone. I decided to build another but have been unable to track down a plan. I am therefore resigned to draw up a plan and build one from memory... Hope I get it right!

See 'Devils Duster' in the forum.

David

on a meagre got back around Posted by Mike Etheridge 1 on 17/07/2016 11:49:04:

First complete a Veron Mini-Concord from E-bay and include the wings from my kit purchased from Heset Model Supplies bought when the shop closed in 1976. The wings were left by someone who broke into my garage and took the fuselage plus a number of other modelling items including the box from my DC Merlin powered Southern Junior Models 'Southern Dragon' another plane I have been thinking about building since I lost the original plane in 1962.

Heset model Supplies - there's a name from the past. Bought my 1st R/c model kit from there around 1973 - a Mercuy Matador. Tried to fly in using a wee Magreggor single channel with a 3 function escapment . Push once for left, twice for right and if you were very quick 3 times for kick up elevator. 1st and only flight (if you could call it that) was over on Mitcham Common nr Croydon. Everybody had to stop flying as the set was I think Superhet? (Only one radio at a time). They didn't have to wait very long, about 20secs if I remember correctly. Those were the days.