All things SAS wildthing

I wouldnt fuss too much, any standard / medium size horn should do it - you may need to make a new hole fopr the pushrod to match the original, or better still, just fit two new identical ones. At a guess, Id say they are around 3 cm long, but as i say.. it aint critical.
Im surprised youve broken one TBH - my original machine ( only retired a couple of months back ) never broke one...and its had a VERY HARD life. You didnt cut the fus back a little short did you? - the design of the WT is such that the horns should be pretty much concealed.

Advert

• 1 year later...

Well well well you Wildthing guys out there.

I stumbled on this thread a couple of days ago, and decided to explore it ... from beginning .....................to end.

Fascinating stuff!

I am just learning, also a pensioner. Flying a Bixler 2 Well actually two of them! I need one to fly when the weather's right and repair the other when the weather is not!

I'm a member of a club which has some great guys that are happy to instruct.

Not yet got my A certificate but that I have set eyes on for early 2014.

I live on the edge of the Chilterns and so there will be some scope for soaring.

At this stage I am still idly eyeing the next foamy electric or silent flight.

I have not yet visited a slope to check out the action, but hope to do so soon and of course check out what the "locals" are flying.

I had been looking at flying wings, but was troubled about the winglets on the ends of the wings

Now you have shown me the central fin on Wildthings and Weasels, and this has cheered me up quite a bit!

I reckon that the central fins may just be a bit more forgiving, with my limited skills.

I don't know if I fancy the combat bit, but certainly some flying in the hills whether thermalling, or soaring is tickling my fancy.

I have been studying your build and taping techniques, as well as some of the finer details about trim and balance adjustments. I have learnt such a lot just from the forum.

I even went as far as down loading the Wildthing 60 DS build plan to try to understand the build concept and how it was able to withstand the rigours of you "WILD people" out there

THANK YOU WILDTHING FLYERS

The thread seems to have come to an end in January 2012

Any more beautiful videos, and colour schemes???

May 2014 bring you all the winds that you need and wish for.

Go With the Flow

Bruce.

Posted by Bruce Austin on 30/12/2013 18:37:55:

Any more beautiful videos, and colour schemes???

I don't know about "beautiful" videos, but here's a video with a Wildthing in it!

Until about 4 years ago I'd never set foot on my local hill (Colley Hill) though I've flown power models for rather a long time and used to drive within a couple of hundred metres of Colley Hill twice a day. When I discovered that a couple of our club members (one of whom was a heli flyer) flew slope soarers I decided I'd better go and see what it was all about - there was clearly more to it than I imagined if a "chuck it all over the sky" heli flyer was involved! Look out for Lee's dreadful hand launch just before 3 minutes, which converted itself into a "smash and go" smile o

Posted by John Privett on 30/12/2013 20:49:38

I don't know about "beautiful" videos, but here's a video with a Wildthing in it!

Were the controls jammed at neutral John?  teeth 2  never seen a Wildy flown so placidly!  teeth 2  teeth 2  teeth 2

I'd love to do the MAA sloping holiday Pat but its always peak season for us (boarding kennels). But I do love our occasional trips to the Brigg, followed by a tour of Scarboro front, then fish & chips, mmm hmmm.

Cheers

Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 30/12/2013 23:08:33

Phil, I think the last time I did the model holiday week was about 10 years ago at Primrose Valley. We went almost every year from the time it was started by MAP. Bill Burkinshaw was editor of RCME. Had some great times & plenty of local pubs for food & drinks if you didn't fancy cooking your own or using the on site chippy.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just bought my Wildthing 48". I haven't made any kind of kit since schooldays - balsa/tissue/dope and rubber band, and only made about 2 those! I know nothing about RC radio. I was going to go buy all the bits yesterday, then I realised, it would be good if I knew what I was doing! As well as what's in the box, does this look a complete correct shopping list (I have a Spektrum DX6i):

rx AR400 DSMX Receiver
2 std servos £10 per servo. HS322HD "Karbonite" Std Servo
OR £7 Hitec HS311 servo <<<<<<<<YES, THIS ONE
£17-20 Hitec HS85mg
100 grit paper
battery 4pack AA

Thanks
Marc

Looks like you are thinking on the right lines.

My Wildy has had the same HS322HD's for four years now. I'd heartily recommend that you consider spending just a little extra on a 4 x square AA pack made up of Sanyo Eneloop cells. They perform well in the cold, plus hold charge brilliantly between flying sessions and when stored, so need far less attention than cheaper NiMh's.

**LINK**

Follow the instructions in the kit to the letter and you can't go wrong.

Ro.

Thanks very much for that. The Vapextech do the hybrid type AA bteteries which I have quite a few of 9eg I use them in the Tx) that's why I was drawn to their pack, I assume the Eneloop pack has hybrids, I'll go have a look!

My first task is to try and clear some space to get the kit out on, so far I've just been looking at the instructions ...

Marc

You'll Love it, it's a doddle to put together, my top tip...

When you've put the Crossweave Tape on, put the wings back into their "blanks" stick 'em somewhere warm and get some weight (evenly spread) on top overnight.
This should ensure the tape sticks and doesn't bubble up 2 days after you've put the coloured tape on... Don't ask how I know!

Then go fly it like you nicked it!

Thanks for that tip Chris. I'm gradually going through all the Wildthing threads on here noting tips and err 'gotchas' then I'll plan what I'm going to do, and probably spend most of a weekend making it.

Talking of gotchas, I've just realised I've not mentioned any connectors in my shopping list above, are the connectors between the compoents in my list standard? I it just wires I want? Are connectors on servos and Rxes standard across different makes?

Posted by Phil Green on 29/01/2014 10:09:48:

My only tip was "keep the horns well in". I didnt and had to trim the fus away quite a bit to clear them:

A good pointer - plus I can heartily recommend these:

**LINK**

A standard horn has been the only weak point I've had with Wildy. The horn eventually became partially detached from it's base.

I though it was flying with a limp when I chucked it. The errant component was confirmed when it finally spiralled into the North York Moors ferns - and then took an hour to find. .... sad

Ro.

You should find almost all servos are compatible with almost all rx's and I don't recall using extensions in mine but I'm @ work so can't promise...

I did however use a short extension instead of a switch...
Extension Lead into rx then plug battery lead into extension, this saves potential wear & tear on the rx!