Aims / Ambitions / Projects Planned for 2012

Steve W-O

Wonder what people have in the pipeline for 2012?

I want to finish my Linnet, finish my Rainbow, buy one of those "giant" 1.8m EPO Cessnas to try for a camera, and finish my multicopter.

Haven't decided what I am doing for the 6 week summer break, but may stay in the UK, so hoping there may be something approaching a summer

Advert

I've got three 'classic' aerobatic models from the 60-70s plus a Super Skybolt waiting in the wings. My problem is that I need to sell a few to make room for the new ones coming along, but I can't bring myself to do it.
'Oh, that's too tatty to sell.'
'I can't sell that until I rework xxx'
or 'I'm not selling that, it's too good'

Posted by Phil B on 24/12/2011 09:21:13:
first project for me is to build a pushy cat

sould be fun

I have something similar

It's 25 size.

Was going to stick it on ebay, they sell well there, but my son got hold of the canopy and stood on it!

It will probably stay in the box, doesn't suit my flying tastes at the moment, so I won't add it to my list for 2012

Hmmm, thats a tricky one 'cos unexpected things have a habit of coming along!

Planned so far is the completion of my PSS BUFF, which I am well into already and then build the stuff I still have in boxes from when I purchased them over the last 2/3 years.

1) BAe Hawk (fly-fly) to replace the one in my avatar.
2) L.E.G PSS Spitfire
3) A "spare" F18 hobby lobby EDF ...because I love this model so much

Then I have a new 46" Wildthing to glue together and throw off a big rock, and a third, big F18 PSS model to maiden which I bought S/H ready built.

I also plan to convert my only remaining IC powered model to leccy, a S/A 64" Spitfire.

I also hope to try my hand at my first ever aerotowing session with my recently acquired Grunau baby, and also the BUFF.
Then, if time and cash allows, I have the plans for a large T33 Shooting Star ...again for PSS. I see a heavy workload for the CNC hotwire cutter

Finally, continue to improve my flying, with emphasis on scale aerobatics for the larger stuff, and keep working at that tricky indoor shockie stuff!

Edited By Tim Mackey on 24/12/2011 10:50:27

Well I think it was mentioned already in another thread - but here we go.
First to finish my 2m Extra (thread Extra Super Bettini) before it dies from hangar- or rather shed-rush....
I will have a go on Tims Cygnet, but as I am a lazy guy I am waiting for the CNC parts to be issued. Last info from David is they are already cut - so they will be there soon.
On the ARTF side I go National - beeing Austrian I ordered a Curare 60 (Hanno Prettners pattern ship from the 70th) which will be available in March or April.
For those who are too young to know that - Hanno was F3A- guru and won the world chamionship several times. When I was young this was the dream plane for me - but I couldn't afford it.
The other ARTF I am looking for is a Saab J35 Draken in Austrian flag colours.
For some years these planes were used to control the Austrian airspace - we cannot say for defence as the numer of planes was only 10 plus one 2 seater for training if I am right. They retired in 2005 and have been replaced by the Eurofighter.

I am not sure if I will fly this thing - but in any case I will put it on display.
It's an EDF foamy with 525mm wing span. And I will find a place for it in my new house.
VA

Vecchio
I remember the Curare .It was my first aerobatic machine after the trainers of old .Trouble was ,I only had a Merco 60 (or 61 was it ?) to power it ,Yes ,it flew ok but not the way it should have done .Eventually one of those dry stone walls in Cornwall got the better of it (or maybe I should have gone to Specsavers ) .My next model was a Crescent Bullet powered by a Webra 40 with tuned pipe .I wish I'd 'never sold it .It used to "burble" on a low fly past
Memories are made of this !

Posted by Phil B on 24/12/2011 09:21:13:
first project for me is to build a pushy cat
sould be fun

You'll love it! I've had two, and will probably build another at some stage.......

For me the coming year (wind, earnings and health permitting) should see the usual mix of scrathbuilts and ARTFs.

No idea about the ARTF's as yet (although the MPX Dogfighter looks tempting), but I want to do an enlarged Clean Sweep - around 60" and set up for a 5S or .70 four-stroke.

Before that maybe a small (48") twin-engined monoplane.

Anything to keep deferring my ultimate ambition of attempting a 1/3 scale AW FK10 Quadruplane........

tim

Hi All,

Re-build the garage roof and complete the workshop conversion.

Clear out all unwanted models, kits and engines.

Do the A cert.

Finish the Super 60 (Merco 35 Power).

Build the Matador (ED Bee or PAW 149 Power)

Build the Astro Hog (70 FS power),

Baronet (52 FS Power),

A 70 to 90 FS powered Chipmunk or Tiger moth.

Do twice or 3 times as much flying as I did in 2011.

Cheers,

Chris.

Only 3 things currently planned; I'm sure more will 'appear' through the year.

Firstly, build my Balsa USA 1/4 scale N11. The problem is that this is in storage in the UK, so will have to wait until the summer when we return home to start, so this is probably next winters' build. At least a further 6 months in the US will allow me to buy the petrol engine, servos and other stuff cheaper in the mean time. I had previously planned to use a RCGF 26cc engine from Hobby King (had great success with their 15cc engine), but I'm tempted to get a DLE20 instead.

Secondly, learn to properly fly helicopters. My plan is that I can then fly the heli in the garden/field at the back of the house when I'd be otherwise using up too much 'family credit' with a trip to the field. I have a Blade MCPX, which I can hover and do figure of 8s (just). I have nearly finished a TREX 250 clone, so hopefully this will be in the air in the New Year. My plan by the end of the year is to have a TREX 500 clone flying scale like and either ready for, or fitted with, a scale body.

Thirdly, is finally get my HET Super Sniper 90 out of store in the UK, build her with the 6S Jepe fan I have and fly the living poo out of her.

3 very different models! I am really a warbird man and normally fly my H9 Corsair as my normal model, but do love WW1 warbirds, just sold a Balsa USA 1/6 scale N17, which was lurrrvley and I really enjoyed the build. The Heli thing bit me a few years ago and I could never master it. Now I have a good club instructor and more enthusiasm.

EDF has not really left my system; had lots a few years back and sometimes feel the need for speed that even my slightly over powered Corsair cannot give, hence the SS90.

Of course by this time next year, this would have all changed!!