Maiden flight looming

oO Chris Oo

Advert

Thanks for all the replies again the feedback is most useful, last night I popped the tranny on charge at 7pm and took it off charge at 9am, the blue L.E.D hadn't gone out to say that it was fully charged but the battery felt very warm...

It only charged up to 5.8 volts according to the display on the transmitter but I've been told I should fly with no less than 5

I'm going to call the BMFA in the week to get insured and them enquire at local flying clubs.

However I'm probably going to have the hard way with the sbach lol, I'm itching to get out there even though I have read that it is going to end in tears !

I'll be sure to film it so that you can all say I told you so lol !!!

Posted by oO Chris Oo on 31/12/2011 12:00:44:
Thanks for all the replies again the feedback is most useful, last night I popped the tranny on charge at 7pm and took it off charge at 9am, the blue L.E.D hadn't gone out to say that it was fully charged but the battery felt very warm...

It only charged up to 5.8 volts according to the display on the transmitter but I've been told I should fly with no less than 5

I'm going to call the BMFA in the week to get insured and them enquire at local flying clubs.

However I'm probably going to have the hard way with the sbach lol, I'm itching to get out there even though I have read that it is going to end in tears !

I'll be sure to film it so that you can all say I told you so lol !!!
watch you dont upset anybody......or worse case..have an accident......that is why you are been advised to take a safe route....? ...
ken anderson ne..1 concerned dept! ...

Nope I think the sim was my downfall for my confidence boost, I felt confident on the simulator that's what gave me the great idea of learning the hard way !

Well Alan I'd say 100 percent pilot error, I was in the air for around 3 minutes I then started drifting away from myself and started to panic because the wind was building up and I had full throttle on trying to return towards myself I just knew I wasn't going to get it back so me being stupid didn't let of the throttle, to try and glide back down I just nose dived from around 30-40 ft straight into the floor !!!

But hey lesson learnt should have listened to the wise ! I've been searching for a wot 4 electric I feel this will be a better starting point !

Ten out of Ten, for trying Chris, and letting us know the out come. If you crash a few times and still come back ,you are well and truly hooked. We have all done it, you will find it is part of the hobby and they say its character building. LoL I read many years ago there are 2 types of pilot, those who have crashed, and those who have not crashed yet. There are many electric wot 4s in our club, and they all fly very well indeed. 3mins is not bad for a non flier with no experience, flying this type of model, even though it was a heavy landing as you say. Cheers FB3. Keep it up on the Sim,as you have gained the basics from it.

Posted by oO Chris Oo on 31/12/2011 17:16:09:
Nope I think the sim was my downfall for my confidence boost, I felt confident on the simulator that's what gave me the great idea of learning the hard way !

Well Alan I'd say 100 percent pilot error, I was in the air for around 3 minutes I then started drifting away from myself and started to panic because the wind was building up and I had full throttle on trying to return towards myself I just knew I wasn't going to get it back so me being stupid didn't let of the throttle, to try and glide back down I just nose dived from around 30-40 ft straight into the floor !!!

But hey lesson learnt should have listened to the wise ! I've been searching for a wot 4 electric I feel this will be a better starting point !

Sorry to hear about the plane.

Yes a Wot electric may be a better starting point , but not ideal.

There are many different routes, and all suggestions will follow that persons personal favourite.

My suggestion would be the Multiplex Mentor, it is big enough to see, flies like a traditional glow trainer (it is electric), made of foam so it survives quite well and is relatively easy to fix.

If you want something a bit cheaper, then the Multiplex Funcub is ideal. It can do most aerobatics in capable hands, or it can be kind and forgiving. Unlike most park fliers, it is above the minimum weight to take the a and B test. And when you have finished learning, it is a great fun plane.

Have a look on youtube at the two.

Both the above will fly on 2200mAh 11V1 lipos, the Mentor could do with two in parallel or a 4000mAh battery, but the 2200 is cheap and suits quite a few planes.

Well Chris, now you know how much concentration you will need. Don't be too hard on yourself it is a steep learning curve at the beginning. Just don't rush things, take your time, join a club-please.
I have a simulator but the field of view is sooooo much better in real life but with a sim the pressure is off because you can always reset.

A wot 4 trainer will be a good starting point, a club member had one and it will do you well right upto and including a "B" test if you want.
My Seagull Spacewalker 63" was my first low winger after my trainer ( I smashed up 3 trainers so it happens to us all) and I still have it after 3 years, love flying it very forgiving and I know just how it is going to behave.

Keep smiling

Chris
Well done ! Three minutes is brilliant I reckon for you and that particular model. Had it not been for being too far downwind & the increase in wind speed , ,I reckon you'd have an intact model .If you're anything like me you'll have another go after the "mend" and succeed . I am one in the minority it seems that taught himself but then again ,I started with a Super 60 as my first R/C then went to the opposite extreme .No sims then so you do have an advantage .
You'll crack it very quickly I reckon .
Myron YO13 Do everything yourself dept

Hi oO Chris,I'm sorry for such difficult start ,but today's fast technology development and other "headaches" really needs friends(experts) on the spot, so you need membership in an aero-club...well ,du not blame me please ,I'm only old man ...yes I know ....road to hell is paved with good intentions....
I believe that next year will bring more flying happines .Happy New Year...and please keep this forum as a favorite
Cheers
Jo.

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 31/12/2011 19:34:08

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 31/12/2011 19:37:40

Hard Luck Chris.

A better route would be Multiplex Mentor or E-Flite Apprentice, then the electric WOT 4.

Then you will be ready for something more aerobatic!

Chris, i am self taught and can say,the V Trainer with ailerons is a great aircraft. I used 2200
lipos in mine and it can be slow or pretty quick depending on throttle use. It is very tough and can take a lot of punishment.It is also capable of loops,rolls,inverted flight. It really is a good one to start with.