Is 35Mhz dead? (Availability issues).

Paul Marsh

I still use 35Mhz, but looking though the model shop adverts, none are selling 35Mhz radios now. If it's listed, most are out of stock, so looks like the main manufacturers have stopped or winding down production and changing to 2.4.

Thing is, if no new gear is made on 35Mhz, eventually it would not get used. For example, some receivers use crystals, and getting new Xtals is like hen's teeth. Been looking for d/con rx xtals, but all sold out and not getting any more.

Edited By Paul Marsh on 09/01/2012 20:50:18

Advert

I think that You can do nothing about that. Look into the past - amiga, comodore, vinyls and many other things gone. This is unstoppable sequence. I remember words of my friend - don't buy even new 35mHz - it should be listed in UNESCO documents, not used to fly anymore...

I've been selling some 35Mhz stuff. Just sold a Parkzone ZX 10 TX and Rx, as well as some GWS mini/micro rx's, plus a Futaba mini PCM rx.

This is mainly down to getting RX Xtals to use, so if it doesn't have a correct Xtal, the rx will be sold.

The main reason why is that my 35Mhz Tx's model memories are all full, and and any spare rx's aren't going to get used, instead the models old and new without receivers will get the 2.4 treatment, but otherwise if it's on 35, unless I fly it at a show will continue to do so.

I need 78 Single and DCon. Futaba &

68 JR Rx's

Edited By Paul Marsh on 09/01/2012 21:35:38

Posted by fly boy3 on 09/01/2012 21:23:16:
I agree, but I think there are many modelers on this forum just dying to get rid of their 35mHz stuff, as they have gone over to 2.4 Gig. Look in the for sale ads. Cheers

You are right. I have seen on other foreign forum, that owners of 35 mHz just swear on 2.4G as it's "worthless toy" etc. But just imagine, You pay a lot of money for Your radio gear, and now much cheaper units are much better. I bet it's not nice feeling.

Crystals are not a problem. You can get them made to order from companies like quartslab.. I have used them for years, thay are not as cheap as off the shelf but very reliable and I suspect thay will be more accurate. You just need to know what to ask for..

Good 2nd hand 35MHz stuff will be available for years - top of the range 35MHz Futaba stuff is still commanding quite high prices on eBay, compare that depreciation to that suffered by DSLR cameras that may only be 12 months old.

Martyn

I havn't read this thread right through yet but am prompted to make a statement before I do..
Market forces -I rest mi case .What's the next must have ? By the way ,I wouldn't mind a few 35 Mhz Rx's for my 6EX .I've only got one ! & have had no probs with the set up. I do have two 2.4 GHz tranny's as well .Where I'm living there is no difference in performance ..

Edited By Myron Beaumont on 10/01/2012 14:39:50

Hmm
Posted by Martyn K on 09/01/2012 21:41:32:
Crystals are not a problem. You can get them made to order from companies like quartslab.. I have used them for years, thay are not as cheap as off the shelf but very reliable and I suspect thay will be more accurate. You just need to know what to ask for..snip

That's quite handy to know - that Hitec module of mine that you are looking at, one of the problems was that I couldn't get another crystal, all the mainstream RC sites just sell the synth Tx unit now. I've got a handful of Futaba Tx's that might require a crystal at some time too.

I still use 35mhz, I have too much invested.

I have a 2.4 module for my Tx so I do have the best of both worlds.

I never have any frequency clashes on our sites anymore.

Andy

Posted by Martyn K on 10/01/2012 16:52:41:
Hi Ian

Let me know what you want. I have a mind to make a crystal checker anyway - something to check frequency, drift, temp stability and the output level.

Regards

Martyn
Channel 60 is the one I use and as nmentioned earlier it must be Hitec spec, they are not the same as the Futaba spec.

Posted by Andy Green on 10/01/2012 17:17:13:
I still use 35mhz, I have too much invested.

I have a 2.4 module for my Tx so I do have the best of both worlds.

I never have any frequency clashes on our sites anymore.

Andy
I'm in the same boat. I'll eventually end up with all 2.4ghz but in the mean time, aerials up !

Another demand for 35Mhz is for FPV use, 2.4ghz Tx/Rx and 2.4Ghz video can work but not recommended.

I changed from 35mhz to 2.4ghz about 18 months ago. I use Spektrum gear. I used to use Sanwa 35mhz but got fed up waiting for the Sanwa gear to arrive. The Spektrum 2.4 system gives me lots of adavantages over the old Sanwa 35.

Receivers are smaller and easier to locate in the model.

Spektrum has model match, I cant take off with the wrong memory set.

I cant' get shot down by another TX being turned on. I can't shoot anyone else down either.
OrangeRx for park flyers are very cheap. Although I still use proper Spektrum in my glow models and large electrics.

On board interference on electrics is not an issue.

All Rx have built in fail safe

I have a number of Sanwa Rx and Tx crystals that need a good home.

• 1 year later...

I've only been in this game for a couple of years but i'm still using a hitec 6 tx with a 35mhz module(cost me £35 brand new, bargain). It does have the option to change the module for 2.4ghz but to be honest i can't see the point at the moment. I've never been shot down so i can't see what i would gain from changing to 2.4. The hitec is programable and does me for what i want. The only thing i would like is more channels. I did look at the flysky 9ch tx from giantcod and also the turnigy 9xr but i'm not sure about the build quality. I'm beginning to think i might stay as i am for a while.

hello from me Neil---- no 35mhz isn't dead......its been elbowed out by the next/new kid on the block ... as you mention 2.4ghz...... and so as time go's on less and less people want the 35 gear and the viscous circle dictates that it go's into the back of the cupboard to be forgotten.... a couple of the advantages of 2.4 are...no more getting shot down by someone else on the same freq..and no horrible glitches when using EDF motor's for jets......my opinion ...

ken Anderson ne..1 ...... radio dept.

cheers Ken. I don't know anyone where i fly that still uses 35mhz, apart from me of course. EDF is something i haven't ventured into yet so i'm gonna stay put for the time being. The only thing that bothers me about 35mhz is the daft long antenna. Doesn't look as good as the 2.4ghz ones but i'll live with it.

I now fly both. I've installed a frsky hack module in to my futaba 7cap with a switch to select between 35mhz and 2.4g.

The only reason I did this was that it was cheaper to buy the hack and an 8ch rx than one 8ch 35mhz rx and I've now bought a second 2.4g rx which is less than half the price of the futaba 8ch D/C receivers I generally like to use.

baz