Phoenix or real flight sim

Phil 9

In terms of simulation fidelty I don't think there is much in it. But Phoenix let's you do on-line sessions like we mount on here a couple of times a week. It also updates indefinitely for free - so you keep getting new planes! I know Real Flight doesn't do on-line and I'm not sure, but I don't think it does automatic updates.

Personally - I'd say Pheonix.

BEB

I have both - to be honest the real flight is a bit more realistic on planes. Even there is no automatic update you can update it manually - and you find a large number of planes in the net. Disadvantage is the Futaba like command unit. I prefer using my radio. You can connect your own radio, but you always have the command unit in between.
Phoenix - as written above - has the online-fun bit in it. And it works with your transmitter. OK you have to give away a channel or two, but flying with other forum guys (or who ever you want) is a great feature. You need a proper ADSL connection - if it is too slow it will not connect.
Cheers VA

I'm extremely pleased with my recent purchase of the Ikarus Aerofly Professional Deluxe sim, especially as I only had to pay £50.00 for it from Slough Models. The aircraft and scenery are first class. The only downfall is it hasn't got multi-player mode.

Its just random Phil - and anyone can start it. We set it up with the user name "modelflying" and the password "forum" Then just pop a post on the thread telling others that a session is running - and whoever's free tends to come along. Tom seems to have been running some fairly regular sessions in the evenings recently.

BEB

To VA

Hello Vecchio

Would you mind explaining how Real Flight is a bit more realistic to you. I am currently using Phoenix to learn on and want to know if I shouldn't also buy Real Flight.

The stock answer to which is best ie "Its up to you - your choice" doesn't work for me. What I need is to be using the one which most closely approximates reality so that when I actually get to the flying field the flight sim will have already given me some idea of what to expect.

If the one which I "prefer" doesn't do this then its not helping me much. For instance, if its not realistic and too easy to land then I'm not learning anything useful - perhaps quite the opposite!

I am interested in fixed wing, only. I purchased Phoenix initially because it came with a TX which I could subsequently use at the field.

Thanks

Ian

i personally prefer real flight. Have always felt that it the more natural feeling of the too.(doesn't feel like a sim) and the multiplayer on realflight is really good, had plenty of fun hours online. But it depends on what you like and what pc you have realfight, can be a little heavy on graphics resources. I'm running a 120 pound graphics card and it wont quite play on full on g4.5 (not sure what phoenix is like on this front tho)

Posted by Thomas Barwick on 28/01/2012 00:52:53:
i personally prefer real flight. Have always felt that it the more natural feeling of the too.(doesn't feel like a sim) and the multiplayer on realflight is really good, had plenty of fun hours online. But it depends on what you like and what pc you have realfight, can be a little heavy on graphics resources. I'm running a 120 pound graphics card and it wont quite play on full on g4.5 (not sure what phoenix is like on this front tho)

A 120 pound graphics card on an atom processor won't work too well,

Using MS FS, I found that one of the best video cards was a sub £30 Nvidia card, trying very expensive ones gave me maybe 1fps gain, just not worth it.

All sims help with certain aspects of flying, and can later be used to practice certain manoeuvres, but in all cases, the biggest advantage is stick time without bending a plane, ie control reversal when flying towards yourself, control inputs in a roll, control inputs inverted and knife edge, making loops circular or square, approaches in the wind etc etc.

Feeling like the real thing, they don't.

Being able to transition from sim to field seamlessly they don't

Accepting them for; what they are, what you can do with them and gain from them, and their shortcomings, will ad to the enjoyment of the hobby and help hone your flying skills.

I'm running Phoenix on a Intel core I5 processor with a 750GB hard drive and it can run Phoenix on full graphic resources, so i'm sure most computers will be able to run phoenix on full graphics resource. But what i find its great if you have good internet connection but living in the sticks (which I do :D )means internet supply can be limited, especially running on phoenix.

Steve, Hi

You've hit the nail on the head for me in a few simple words "...being able to transition from sim to field..."

I appreciate that no simulator will do that for me "seamlessly" but was hoping to find out which of the sims came closest to doing that.

Briefly (I've already explained this elsewhere) my problem is this - I've flown 8 times and crashed 3 times, in exactly the same manner, and my confidence has taken a real hammering.

Sensibly, I ought to tell myself that I'm no good at this lark and call it a day. However, the bug has bitten me hard and I'm absolutely fascinated by fixed wing RC. I spend hours on the Internet (retired, now) reading forums and watching videos on Youtube etc etc. I go to the flying field but don't take my (new) Wot 4 Foam E with me, I just watch the other lads.

Whist I understand that the sims are a great way to practice maneouvres, and so on, what I need is the best way I can find to help me transition from sim to field.

When it comes to realism I mean the interaction between the transmitter/controller and the model and the way the model behaves. I'm quite happy with my computers performance which never falls below 60 FPS on Phoenix.

In other words, should I buy Realflight 6, which I'm prepared to do, even if it is only marginally more "realistic" than Phoenix?

Thanks for listening, so to speak
Ian

Ian, I hope you don't think this presumptious of me - I've come across several guys in your position. The pattern is very familiar. They have a few flights - maybe it doesn't go too well. They are then are to be found - regular visitors to the field - but they don't fly. There's always a reason of course "Oh, I was just passing I didn't bring a model". "Well, that sky looks a bit too dark/bright" or "Its too windy for me". Whatever the reason they won't fly.

This really sadens me. My heart goes out to people in this situation. The problem of course is 100% about confidence - its not about simulators or which model or what weather condidtions - its just about confidence. Being really blunt - they are "afraid" of flying.

There is only way one to solve this - and it isn't with a sim - because a simulator does nothing for confidence We all know it isn't real so there are no consequences for mistakes!

I'm going to say something now that is really "putting my head on the block" but in my personal opinion, barring equipment or model failure, there is absolutely no excuse as to why a competant instructor, using a buddy lead, should allow a beginer with as little flight experience as you have (only 8 flights) to crash three times. It just shouldn't happen - and if it happened in my club we'd be asking serious questions about that instructor's capabilities.

What you need is not a new simulator - Phoenix is fine - what you need is real stick time with a good instructor. You need a dozen nice, quite, totally uneventful, (boring ) flights were nothing exciting - other than a nice bit of flying - happens. Your instructor needs to take you 3 mistakes high and just have you fly nice quiet circuits in each direction. This will do you more good than all the simulators in the world. It will give you back your confidence. If you don't feel the instructor you have been using can do this - then my advice is - get another. Join another club if need be. If you are self instructing - ie no club - then my advice would be "join one pronto".

Sorry if you feel I've been a bit "direct" but believe me when I say these comments are coming from a good place - it really does saden me to see people "afraid to fly". While it might be "special people" who can win IMAC comps etc. I firmly believe that pretty well anyone can basically learn to fly a model safely and competantly.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 28/01/2012 12:19:10

BEB

No two ways about it, the condition I find myself in is exactly as you describe, including the excuses. (I'm about to go out to the field just now to watch the other lads but I won't get out of the car because its too cold today) Yep, I'm afraid alright - in fact, scared witless in case I crash again. You are 100% correct.

But its not just the fear of crashing alone. Its the fear that crashing again really will mean that I should jack it in and buy myself a train set. That is, I want to continue with this great hobby I've just discovered but if I can't fly then what's the point. So I think I'm more afraid of losing the hobby than I am of simply trashing another model.

In defence of the other lads at the field, they're virtually all Mode 1 (north/south divide again, from oop in Yorkshire tha knows) From earlier efforts with MS Flight Sims using a joystick and initial efforts with Phoenix, I am Mode 2 and my fingers just won't do Mode 1. But my crashes were entirely my fault - nobody else to blame.

From what you, and Steve and a couple of others, have said I think I am finally realising that more/better/differant sim time is not what I need. I can fly the pants off anything in Phoenix (not 3D, but all the standard acrobatic type stuff) and land 10 out of 10 times etc etc. However, what no sim will do, no matter how realistic, is teach how to cope with the pucker factor and thats what I need to get to grips with.

I totally, completely, utterly and finally will take your advice and get out there and fly the pants off my Foam-E. Or at least, get in some nice steady boring flights!

Sincerest thanks for taking time with a long explanation. I think its going to makle the differance for me.

Regards
Ian

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 28/01/2012 14:45:47

Ian, if I suggested any sim for your situation, it would be plane master, and start with the easiest plane.

Phoenix is very easy to land.

I would also ask what plane you are flying?

Maybe another suggestion could be made?

The other reason you can fly the sim is lack of fear, which again suggest to me another plane may be a better starter

Steve, the plane I've been flying/crashing is the Wot 4 Foam-E. Now on the second one, still to be maidened, with the original for spares.

Just back from the field watching the other lads throwing their models about the sky with gay (in the old-fashioned sense, of course) abandon.

One experienced flyer's model crashed. The other lads kind of looked up to see what was happening and then turned back to what they were doing or continued their conversations, and so on. What this showed me was that their reaction to a crash was - big deal, another model has crashed, so what.

Another experienced flyer said that I should be prepared to lose, ie trash, at least 2 models per year or forget about RC as a hobby.

As I said earlier, I'm going to stop trying to substitute the sim for real flying and get stuck in properly (crash? - big deal, so what)

Regards and Thanks
Ian

Phil, thanks for your suggestions. But for now, and since I've already got it, I've decided I must bite the bullet, knuckle down, carry on regardless, get back on the horse and persevere with the Wot 4 Foam-E. When its eventually trashed, as I'm told I must expect sooner or later, I'll re-visit your suggestions.

Regards
Ian