1st Crash

Hogster

Lost my Black Horse Matrix last week. I thought the batt pack was secure, unfortunately the aeros I was doing proved I was wrong. Flicked from knife edge to opposite knife edge and ended up with a dead plane. No response at all. I'd had 5 very good flights with it during the day. Yes I'd left it at least 2 mistakes high. Luckily the new OS 91 Fx survived along with the servos, batt pack and reciever but the airframe, in usual artf style, was just so much confetti!! Not too chuffed about it but hey it's one of those things. I learnt to secure things much tighter if I'm going to do silly aeros!

Andy

Anyone remember the LMC Red Arrow Hawk from the 80's. I think Peterborough Models then took on the kits, fiberglass fuz, foam wing, webra 60 pipe up front spent ages making it look the business, took off down the strip then something came out of the open tail pipe, it turned out to be the battery model lifted off smoothly rolled and performed a superb reversal from about 150ft straight into the deck. There were tears, and the discovery that 5 minute epoxy does not bond very well to unprepped fiberglass.
That was one of I guess many over the years but that one still smarts even after all this time.
Linds

This is all that was left of my WOT4 after a mid-air

Mrs BEB asked if it was repairable

The funniest was the time I was maidening a model. Now when I build, like most I suppose, I put bits on, see how they look etc. I did this with the wheels - mmm, looks good, I'll tighten those grubscrews in the collets later when I have the allen keys out. You know what going to happen don't you? Yes, I take off on the maiden, 10 feet off the ground both wheels fall off in perfect sychronisation! Made the landing fun!

BEB

We've all done it. Unfortunately its all part of the "fun".

I consider myself quite lucky at having only written off 2 planes that i can remember apart from the usual dings here and there.
One was a moonraker (similar to a wot 4), me and my dad got it after learning with different trainers (were talking about 15 odd years ago). It was too fast for us really and i managed to fly it out of range. Luckily it came down in someones front garden, i hate to imagine the damage it could have caused if it had hit something. Needless to say there wasn't much left of it.
The other was a tiger shark delta a few years later. It was well flown so i thought i'd give it a revamp, spent ages sanding and repainting only on the re-maiden for one of the clevis' to come away from the elevon. Straight in from about 200', even the engine was in pieces. It was then i remembered i hadn't put a retaining nut on. You live and learn.

Also had the wings come off a Wot 4 and a couple of mid airs, but all were repairable.

Look at it as a learning curve, you can bet you'll never do the same again.

Rob

hello hogster

so sorry to hear of your loss
but on a brighter note,congratulations for it taking this long to have your 1st "bad experience"..i crashed 1st flight and few little ones since (luckily,minimal damage)...

hope it doesnt put you off and perhaps it gives you a good reason to go out and buy a little plane like object you've had your eye on

keep your chin up
ricky

Sorry to hear about the crash Hogster....as has been said it's all part of the deal...we all run out of ideas, airspeed & altitude at some point....

I lost two models in two flights....an aileron sevo died in my Pitts Special which sent it througth some trees & it came out as confetti...& then next flight my Sukhois wing folded & it went in like an exocet.....

So, a Viking funeral for the Travel Air & console yoursel with a new model.....

Here's the photo of the said Spit.

It can be discouraging sometimes. I remember a while back, someone brought a first plane, then went in at full chat. Destroyed a brand new LA25, airframe and every servo in the plane. Pity he gave up, but that's what makes rc flying so interesting - there is always the danger, and sometimes good luck.

Edited By Paul Marsh on 30/01/2012 10:14:27

It always hurts a bit when you damage a model after a crash or harder than expected arrival. I even wince when I crash on a flight simulator. Especially if I could have avoided it. I must have spent about a simulated £25k on wrecked models on my flight sim.

Martyn

Lost my Volador yesterday. Let it get a bit too low when inverted, bunted out of it a bit too tight, and the left wing parted company from the airframe... ah well, had a coffee in the clubhouse (and accompanying post-mortem with clubmates), then went out and had a flight with my GWS FW 190. These things happen.

Giving a friend a quick go on an electric glider.... on take..... off full chat.. the climb out was too steep gave lots of down !... Would have helped if I had the correct model selected on the tx, the elevator was reversed.

A wonderfull tight loop over my head and the fuz ended up embedded in the ground pointy bit first ....Oh hum !

Roger

Exceeded the VNE at approx 1200' on a 2.8 metre , £450 electric glider.
Watched as the wings clapped and floated away, and the fuz descended at terminal velocity, hitting a concrete solid, recently harvested corn field about 400yds away.
Only salvageable item from the fuz was the fin and one prop blade! Motor, ESC, and all servos were totalled.
Never did find one of the wings.
Hey ho!

Edited By Devon Flyer on 31/01/2012 17:06:09